What's new

JBL questions (1 Viewer)

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
My current setup consists of a S-Center II (studio series), ND-310 fronts (older northridge with dual 10's, same as E-100's) and N-24 surrounds (4" northridge). I've been running this for a while with no sub, but I'm going to have one real soon, I'm just wondering if I still need the big fronts now that I have a sub?

I would like to downsize the fronts if I could do so without sacrificing sound. How would the Studio S-38II bookshelf speakers sound compared to my ND-310's? Something makes me want to get the studio series all around but I'm afraid its going to be a step backwards from the ND310's. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Brad E

Second Unit
You'll find when you get your sub that your 310's weren't giving you much bass at all anyway.
I have 4 ND310II's as my mains and surrounds. I run them all as large, but the only real bass is comming out of the sub.
I've never listened to the S-38's so I don't know how they compare to the 310's. But with a sub and proper calibration you don't need full range mains. You should be fine.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I had a chance to listen to the JBL S-CenterII, S310II (fronts), S36II(rears), and the JBL 250 sub (forgot exact model). For HT with all speakers set to small, I thought the S310II is overkill since the sub is taking care of LFE. For Music (2ch), the S310II did a very nice job (good dynamic range). If your system is mostly for HT, downsize your fronts to S38II for all around studio series on the fronts (better timbre match). Good luck on your quest...

John S

Senior HTF Member
I will only say... For one to love the S38's, you have to really prefer what they give you. Flat response and pretty darn directional near field monitor type performance. Off axis performance is a seemingly odd mysterious adventure with a DB meter. Just a smidge of tow in / tow out can drastically change readings at your sweet spot for example, I mean you add that characteristic into the typical living room environment for example and let the adventure begin!!

I have s38's in every location.....

:)

One plus of the near field design is you can have mulitiple speakers driving the same signal with very little chance of, or hardly any, if any at all cancellation effects.

Examples of this would be 5/6/7 channel stereo and/or dual centers and/or using 4 side surrounds in a particularly longer room with multiple rows of seating.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
Situation is updated a little now. I picked up a set of S-26 II's for a good price. They dont seem to perform like the big Northridge fronts at all. The upper mids seem muddier and there is less high end response.

Will the S-38's sound more like my ND-310's? I'm not really looking for an improvement, just something with similer performance in a smaller size.

Will there be much difference in the S-26 and S-38? Looks like i'll be moving the S-26's to the rears. I'm just wondering if I should keep my current fronts or get the S-38's. If the S38's sound similer to the 26's id prefer to keep my current speakers.

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
I found the S38s to sound quite different than the S-26s. I never heard the ND-310s so I can't comment. However, I would think the S38s would be closer to the ND310s than the S26s being 3-way designs and all. The N series and S series tweeters sounded a bit different too. I found the S series tweeters to be a little smoother and refined. You might very well prefer the N series tweeters better though.

BTW, are you buying these used? I haven't seen S38s for some time now.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator

Greg, yeah I found them used. They show up on e-bay all the time. Can you give me more detail on how the 38's sound different then the 26's

I'm not sure if its the tweeters or the lack of a mid but my ND-310s sure seem nicer to my ear. The bigger models in the origional northridge series use a soft tweeter too by the way. For some reason they still list the specs as titainium laminate but its defenatly a soft dome. Its strange they list all the northridge and studio speakers as having titainium laminate tweeters and yet the three sets I own all have different tweeters. My ND-310's have soft domes, my N-24's have a pure metalic dome and the studios appear to actually have a metalic dome laminated with some kind of plastic. It dont make sense to me. :frowning:

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
All the Northridge series have 3/4" titanium-laminate tweeters while the Studio series has a 1" titanium tweeter.

If your ND-310's have a soft dome tweeter then it is not original. They did come with a titanium laminate tweeter originally. Do you have pictures? Did you get them used?

The S38's won't sound like the 310's but will be more than enough for mains if used with a sub. I used S38 II's with an EC35 center for awhile and it blended well. The S series tweeter is more refined but i actually liked the sound of the northridge series using the 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter better...

CarterT

Grip
I paid $150 for a pair of new S38II's and at that price, I'm glad I bought them. I am not using them right now. I prefer the sound of the S312II's with ScenterII and S26II surround.

See this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=216928

I know you are trying to compare to the N310 and the S26/S38 but the last entry (johnny..bon) in the post above may interest you.

For the kind of music I listen to, the 38's are a small step up from the 26's and the 312's are a huge step up from the 38's. For HT, the difference is not so much.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
DorianBryant, The tweeters in my ND-310s are defenatly not Titainium laminate and they are defenatly origional. They are completely different then the tweeters in my N-24s and my studio models. I know this is hard to believe but trust me its true. They were purchased used but the origional owner only had them a month or so, the part number on the back of the tweeter is exactly what JBL lists (which is a different number then the newer northride tweeters that are actually titainium laminate) and lastly the color of the dome is absoloutly identical to the rest of the drivers which would be a nearly impossible color to match. Check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=231948

CarterT, When comparing the S-38 to the S-26, did you notice much difference in the upper frequencys or is the difference just in bass output?

I'm ok with the difference in bass response. It is noticable but not that bad with a sub. And with some tunning it could probably be covered up even better. I'm just blown away by the difference in the upper mids and highs. I was really happy with the sound of my ND-310s and feared the studios larger tweeter would be overpowering but I have the exact opposite problem. I wish somebody on here had experianced those tweeters and knew what i'm talking about. Its hard to compare things when nobody else has them. I must say I've never heard anything else like them, they just sound amazing. Everything is crystal clear and so easy on the ears. The S-26's sound very nice but doing an A/B test makes them sound like my fathers bose system. :frowning:

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Mark-I rember the thread...

Either the tweets are titanium or they are not original. Those are the only two options. I have owned Northridge, Studio series, and numerous JBL speakers from the 80's and 90's. There are not any special editions out there. As Phil I mentioned, and he is the JBL expert, the same applies-that model uses a titanium laminate tweet and that is probably what you have. If the part number is the same I would guess they are indeed titanium laminate as they are suppose to be. Pictures??...

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
Well the tweeter I have is P/N 335476-001, its exactly what JBL lists in there parts website and it is defenatly not titanium or titanium laminate, its some sort of softer polymer. I e-mailed JBL about it and they basicly gave me the run around as if they didnt know themselves, saying whatever it is will be sonicly equivelent, etc. They sent me a PDF containing service info on the ND-310 and surprisingly in that PDF they list the tweeter to be P/N 338035-001 which is the actual titanium laminate tweeter found in both newer northridge series.

S-26's: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2277/dcp048843xf.jpg

N-24's: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2628/dcp048885cw.jpg

ND-310's: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9821/dcp048857ge.jpg

CarterT

Grip
Mark,
Any difference in upper frequencies between the 38's and the 26's in minor. Bigger difference is in the bass.

I was never able to get the 38's to fill the midrange the way I like it very well. That is why I am using the 312's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks