JBL question.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by cabreau, Feb 4, 2004.

1. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I've always liked JBL, back when I played in a band, and before that. How do their Studio speakers sound? Yeah, I know, it's the typical noob question, but I don't hear many people talking about the JBL's very often. What stores sell them?

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...?pid=190&sc=32

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I just got myself an entire JBL Studio Series 6.1 setup (details in my sig) and I must say that they are incredible speakers. I've heard the Yamaha RX-V2400 on Paradigm Studio series speakers and found them to be a little too bright, but when I brought the receiver home and tried it on my JBLs, it sounded much better!

The JBL Studio Series is discontinued and at this point you'd have a very hard time getting your hands on them. But since they're discontinued, you can get them rather cheap (for what they're worth).

Phil, the JBL expert will hopefully add his input to this thread.

3. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Hi Cabreau,

I don't know about your locale, but in Canada JBL is typically a chain store speaker. Best Buy carries them here, so I imagine they do in the U.S. as well.

We no longer carry them at my work, but we used to have the Studio series, and they are a nice, big old school speaker. Very rock and roll.

However, JBL has a bewildering number of series of speakers, from low end to high. So if might take a little effort to sift through their offerings and find the pair you like.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The S38/S38IIs are phenomenal speakers. Hard to find, but worth the effort. They are/were the jewel of the Studio/StudioII lines.

5. John S

John S Producer

JBL's S-Series speakers are highly respected and considered some of the best bargains ever produced.

You can get 3 pair of S26II's for under $500, pair this with something like a 15" Velodyne Sub, and your kicking some serious HT and Music butt.

I consider the S38's the real gem of the line, but all the speakers in this line from JBL come highly acclaimed.

I am installing a Denon 1804, 3 pair of JBL S26II's, and a 15" Velo Sub here within the next few weeks. The guy is just now finishing up his basement including a real nice dedicated HT room. I am expecting the setup to be quite outstanding. The guy is paying me for my expertise and time, so I sure hope it lives up to mine and his expectations.

6. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

The S38-IIs are amazing. I wonder what JBL will replace them with?

I have Mirage OM7s ($1000/each), which I like plenty, but the S38s are nearly as good to my ears - at 1/7th the price.

I'm totally sold on JBL.

7. John S

John S Producer

Good to hear Shane Morales.

A couple of years ago, when I demo'd just a ton of speakers, including very high end models, I came to the same conclusion. Many on here think me crazy when I compare to speakers such as the OM7s.

But I ended up buy'n the JBL S38's becasue I honestly thought they sounded best, especially at the loudest volume levels.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    S38s are definitely worth it. Onecall has them for 232.00, so about 260.00 shipped. The only issue I have is their horizontal design, which doesn't always make things easy for placement. If the tweeters could rotate like the JBL pro series that inspired them, they'd be perfect.