JBL PSW-D110 Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMorton, Oct 21, 2002.

1. JasonMorton

JasonMorton Extra

Hi There,

I recently acquired a JBL PSW-D110 Subwoofer from my neighbor who told me it was fried. He said it worked fine for around a year and a few days after the warranty ran out (go figure) it developed a humming noise. Upon plugging it in, without connection to my receiver, it exhibited the same behavior. It sound somewhere between a hum and a loud errrrrr type of noise. It has been many years since I worked with electronics and component level troubleshooting but I'd like to try and fix it as he told me if I could I could have it.
    I checked many reviews on this sub at audio review and epinons and found that out of 50 some reviews almost everyone has had problems with this sub. Mostly with bad solder joints or with a capacitor labeled C6 on the PCB. I checked the board with a magnifying glass and from what I can tell it looks good. I also replaced cap C6 but no luck. If anyone could give me advice or help in troubleshooting this further I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It is the same problem I'm having with my PSW-D112. I don't know what the problem is right now...

Jason

3. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Y'all need to check out the reviews of this sub (particularly of the 12") on www.audioreview.com . I own the 12", and I'm thankful it's still running. This is a widespread problem with this model of JBL's, and they seem to crap out after about a year's use (just enough time for the warranty to expire). It's sad, because I thought JBL made quality products, but some of the stories from audioreview of their customer service will keep me from buying another jbl product again. Pretty sad that such a large number of that particular model died, and they offer no support whatsoever. Sort of a "thanks for buying, deal with it" attitude. Anyway, hope you can find a solution!

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, mine lasted for two years, and for what I paid for it ($140), it has been worth the money. I might see how much it would cost to fix it...

Jason

5. JasonMorton

JasonMorton Extra

I did a little further testing and have noticed that several components crackle and start to smell of burning after being plugged in for a few minutes. Seems like the noise is coming from the large silver op amp on the PCB and the smell of burning is coming from a series of resistors. Not a good sign...

I thought about checking on what I would cost to get it repaired but after looking at the reviews where some people have spent upwards of $100-$150 to fix them and considering the multiple failures they have had I'm not sure that it is worth it. It might be safer just to buy a good sub with a good warranty.

Hopefully, JBL has gotten their stuff together after the problems they had with this line.

Do you know if any of their other models, like the studio series, are prone to failure?