What's new

Jbl Psw 1000....... (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I am thinking of upgrading from the JBL,but not really sure on what to do.The JBL has great reviews on "Audio Review", and I still like it.Just wanting a little more:D
Anyone have any experiences with this older sub??I would hate to spend a fair amount of cash and end up with a downgrade.My setup is a HK 520,Acoustic Research TSW 510's fronts,and a M&K THX 750 center.Thanks
Greg

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I have experience with JBL B360 a 15 from the mid 80s running by a bridged Adcom 555, it had a turn on thump that would blow the grill half way across the room, JBL makes some great stuff if you know what model numbers to look for, they also make some not so great stuff, if you know what you are after do it. . .

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
the one I have is from the 98 or 99.PSW1000,as I said on the Audio Review sight,all the reviews were great.Like I said,I'm kinda scared that this one seems to be the "value .price buster" of a few years ago:D .I did some checking and spec wise its a very good unit.and I'd probobly have to spend more than I want to get better performance,so for now I think I'm gonna stick with it.Later on I'll just spend some cash on a real nice one.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
JBL makes some of the finest pro stuff going and has a history of some of the finest Rock and Roll speakers on the planet, they are kind of spotty however, seem to go anong in low gear then really pop you with something I think one problem is that there are just too many models from yhe extremly low end all the way to some 60K monster. You cant be all things to all people, I miss my old L series from the early 80s, I know they still make the drivers and crossovers that can compete with anyone but I dont feel right when I am listening to my high dollar JBLs and everyone thinks I bought them at Wal-Mart. I am interested in their new studio series and if not for the huge amount of low end stuff I would probaly buy the complete set, just afraid I would always be suspect, kinda like you are towards your sub. I understand you want to upgrade but your reasons are not clear, what is it that you want that you do not get?

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
WellGuy........:) Its kind of the upgrade bug,to me the JBL sounds great,but like when I had my JVC RX884 reciever,it sounded great,till I got the HK520,then i could tell a huge difference all around,the JVC was a good unit ,but the HK was overall better.I was just wondering if I am missing a lot by having an older ,cheaper sub.As I stated,I checked some specs,and just going by the #'s,I'm afraid I will need to spend abit more than I wanted to get any "real"difference in sound quality.I know,its the typical H/T junkie Logic:D
I went through the same thing with my front speakers,they are some Acoustic Research TSW 510's from the early 90's.I wanted some "new"speakers,then realised that to surpass the old AR's would cost a ton of money.Getting a higher end reciever,the 520,fixed the problems I had with their sound:D
Botton line ,I'm trying to give myself a reason to buy something new:D :D :D I found a damaged Polk 350 at Circuit City ,If they get real cheap on the price I'll get it,but otherwise ,I am going to stay with the JBL,since I have heard nothing negitive about this sub.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Hey Greg, Listen, I am sorry for sounding like a preacher, didnt mean too. I know there are many factors that I cannot see. I re-read my remarks and it sounded a little like preaching to me, all I meant was what I have to do.
Sorry for the soapbox. . .
I know exactly what you mean, I too am wanting to upgrade, I have 5 NHT super ones that sound great, but I have it in my head they dont, only because I want something different but I am not sure what yet. I have had these for a couple years (a lifetime for me) and I think I just have the bug. . .

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Greg
No comment on the sub deal as I am not familar with the unit in question.
But if your TSW's are in nice condition and I'm thiking of the right model, please feel free to email mail when you make that upgrade!!!! ;)
If memorie serves me, a very good, very big, and very heavy speaker. Like 52+" or more tall and 100+ lbs per speak...?
Please straighten me out if I'm wrong here on any of this stuff!!
More Questions:
Just curious, do you have the "light or dark wood" with the side sock grills?
It's the TSW model with the front and rear firing 10"-drivers, bi-wire-bi-amp, right?
Thanks
Geoff

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
the TSW 510's I have are approx 2.5 feet tall,nice wood on top and bottom.weigh 30-40lbs? I dont believe they are the same ones you are talking about.In 91 they were about $500 a pair.
greg

I'll take a pic and send if you want

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Greg

I've got the right line just the wrong model #

Sorry, no you don't have to send a pic! Good to go, just a little embar-assed..:b

I never listened to your TSW model, but from the "very large TSW model I did listen too" being driven with a high end Roland Amp, yours certainly have to sound good. This was early 90's, these were shockingly good sounding speakers. Were not priced cheap either. Would cost double what they did now, certainly, compared to back then.

Im sure your quite right in what you mentioned about upgraging them, night a day difference in sound driving them with the H/K I bet...?

Thanks for taking time to set me straight!!!

Hope the subs works out for ya...
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks