JBL pro subwoofer for $216. shipped.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CarlV, Feb 23, 2002.

1. CarlV

CarlV Stunt Coordinator

JBL Pro subwoofer model 4638.
    I just bought the sub for the price of $216. shipped and it's headed my way. I just couldn't resit the low price. You can find the specs here:
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/lfsub.htm
    Does anyone have any experience with pro jbl subs. It will be paired with my SVS 16-46. Can my denon poa-5200 (200 w into 4 ohms)amp drive this monster. They're suppose to very efficient 100 dB SPL (1W, 1m, 3.3ft.) Hopefully I won't have to buy a new amp.
    If anyone wants one you better hurry to the tent sale on the JBL pro site.
    http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/sale_items.htm

2. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

to tell you the truth, that is part of a commerical theater sound system and is not really a subwoofer.

the 4638 is usually mounted to a 2360A High frequency driver and then used as a Screen channel in a pro setup.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, as Ron has pointed out, it's more of a woofer than a subwoofer. But, it should give you plenty of punch down to 50 Hz or so. It's rated at -10dB at 30Hz, and oftentimes those ratings are given with mulitple speakers coupled together. So, your actual response may vary.

4. CarlV

CarlV Stunt Coordinator

I guess I can always sell it if I don't like the way it preforms.

What about amp requirements, will 200 watts be enough?

5. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

200 watts?? ahhh...well I'd say between 600-800 watts should thump it good.

200 might be too little.

btw, it peaks out at 1600 watts

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ron is right, most pro subs brick-wall at 35-40Hz. This one will probably not even go that low.

Not even sure who you would sell it to. This is an installation-grade enclosure; no handles, no grills, etc. Just a couple of drivers in a plain box – don’t even think a musician would want it for bass guitar or something.

However, you might have some luck selling the drivers outright.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I bought a pair of the 4648s from the JBL tentsale, this is the same cabinet as the 4638 uses but with 2 model 2226 15" drivers. A 2226 has a 4" edgewound voicecoil, efficiency of 97db, 600 watts power handling and compression at full power of 4.6db. (How many driver makers have the nerve to tell you how much compression their drivers suffer from?) The 4648 has an F3 of 45hz in a single boundary enviornment, like outside sitting on the ground. Mine are in a room and in a double boundary situation; on the floor along a wall. With boost given by room and boundaries plus the 6db of boost at 30hz builtin to the Parts Express plateamp I drive them with they are flat at 25hz, the lowest reading on my RTA. My plate-amp puts out 250 watts into the 4-ohm load the double 4648s present, their combined efficiency is 106db. This means, allowing for compresssion and the EQ, that they will run 120db at 25hz with the plateamp. This is formidable performance by any standard and far superior to many turnkey home subwoofers. And at the price of $440 for the 4648s and $140 for the plateamp such performence is unheard of. The objective performance of the 4648s is startling. Unlike many home subs which rumble along constantly the 4648s hit very hard when called on, shaking the house, and then fade back into silence. In this regard they remind me of basshorns, evidently the very low excursions needed with 4 15" drivers gives this lack of distortion and good damping. The 4648s are used from 100hz down to augment the bass of my Altec A5 cabinets which are also running as low as they can, they start rolling-off at 100hz down to a lower plataue which is flat to about 50hz. So theorizing aside this is what a pair of 4648s are capable of in a home, I presume the performance of the 4638s would be similar.