What's new

Jbl Pb12 (1 Viewer)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to a ton of positive reviews and comments on the JBL NSP1 speakers on these boards, I have decided to buy myself a set. Now I need a subwoofer to match.

I did a search on JBL subs since I'm getting JBL speakers and I found the PB12 online shipped for $277.90. Is this a good deal? Bestbuy has the same sub for $399.99 I had set a price of about $300 for my sub, so getting this one online fits my budget nicely, but I just wanted to know if there is anything better in that price range. Buying used is not an option, I want something new. Thanks.

EDIT: Posted wrong online price of $310.00 originally. Price is $277.90 shipped

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
if you can wait for the DLS sub from www.partsexpress.com to get restocked (though it could take a while, they are having problems with the amps, but you can read all about that) you can get a sub that will probably stack up favorably to the pb12 (im guessing it outguns the pb10 i have without too much of a problem)

ps. i also have the nsp1s and i am quite the fan.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
The low price golden child before the DLS10 was the Sony WM40 sub. Do a search in this forum for LOTS of info. I have my NSP1-II pkg matched up with the WM40 and am very pleased.

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info on the DLS David, but the website says it's discontinued. I looked into the Sony WM40 also and I'm not sure that it's what I want.

I have read so many good reviews about JBL speakers, and almost no good reviews for Sony speakers. I see it's about $100 less than the JBL PB12, but does it compare to to PB12 in the quality of bass it outputs? I don't mind spending the extra hundred because it was in my original budget anyway, but I also don't mind saving a hundred and getting a similar product.

So bottom line is, which is better? The JBL PB12, or the Sony WM40, or another ~$300 Sub that has not been mentioned here.

Also, how do you like your PB10 David?

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Another thought- Parts Express.com has a special on a 250 watt amp right now with free shipping and there is also someone here on the forum about to put up the same amp for sale for even less. I'm probably going to buy one from him though I know he has two. My point is that with this amp for about $100, building or buying the box yourself (about $75-100) and getting yourself a good driver- Tempest $100-150), you can have yourself a sub that will outgun the PB12.

There is also a link on a thread called "looking for a sub" at the bottlom of this forum that has some great subs at nice prices. Look for my post there to get to the link.

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, I have absolutely no idea how to build a speaker, let alone one with an amp in it, so I don't want to have my first experience in that area go bad. I just can't trust myself to build anything like that. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather buy than build because I wouldn't trust anything I built anyway. I know alot of people go the DIY route and make themselves some awesome stuff, but I just don't think it's for me. Thanks for the info though.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Check out the link though because some folks are buying great used subs at real nice prices there that will probably be a better bang for your bucks worth. I've heard pretty good things about the JBL subs in general and that will probably be fine for you. There has been some talk on them burning out after a year or two but I think that can happen to almost any sub- just the luck of the draw- just like the last bad batch of DLS subs that went out- it happens. For the money you are talking about- if indeed you are willing to go up to $300 or $350 I think you can do a lot better than the PB 12 but all that depends on your needs- space limitations, listening preference, HT vs Music sub chice, etc. Do a search here on the forum and you should come up with some good stuff. Something like a HSU VTF-2 (new or used) I think you would be pleased with.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i believe i read in another thread a long time ago that the popular opinion is that a sony WM40 will outgun a pb10, but that a pb12 will be better than the WM40.

sticking around the fs/ft forum for used subs is also a good idea, in fact im in the process of lurking around there for one at the moment.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
David not to crash this thread but I have a Vel ct-150 that I would be willing to sell for a very reasonable price. You can check it out at the Circut City sight.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
You can always drop by the DIY and Advanced Projects area of the forum. Youll end up like the rest of us with new sub projects made annually. Its a fun and rewarding hobby.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
That JBL 12 is great when it works. 1/2 of them are DOA. The other half's amps will blow eventualy. My old PSW 12 just went down after 3 years.

Go check out the reviews on audioreview.com they are awful. you can also look on eopinions.com

Don't buy the JBL 12.

I just purchased the Audiosource 15" from Amazon for $199 shipped (they had it on special for $149 shipped recently), then I stuffed the box w/ polyfill. It's more sub then I need, but it doesn't have the same tight punch as my old JBL had.

Basically, you get what you pay for. The DLS 10 is in the same range.

I'd buy used from someone on these forums if you can or build your own if you have the resources. After that, the little sony actually is pretty decent for a small room.

I have all JBL speakers, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks