What's new

JBL PB12 vs Cerwin Vega LW12 vs Sony WM40 (1 Viewer)

Benny G

Second Unit
I "am" going to get one of these subwoofers.
What I'd like is your opinions on which one I should get.
I was at Best Buy tonight (to compare JBL and Sony) and the employee in that section said that the Cerwin Vega sub was their best one ($50 cheaper even).
I was skeptical to believe him, but sure enough, on www.audioreview.com , that sub is rated higher than the JBL.
Which sub should I get??
I will use it for: movies 25%, music 75%
Thanks for your opinions!!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Benny,
Welcome...My vote is for the Sony. I bought the Cerwin LW12 and tried it for a weekend, and did not like the "boomy" sound it made, not to mention the enormous size of the CV (as compared to the Sony). It was also VERY hard to find "sweet spot" to make the CV even sound remotely good. The Sony however never caused this.
For me it wasn't worth the extra money the Cerwin was when I was looking at subs last year.
I really think you will be more than happy with the Sony once you get it correctly tuned to your system. I love the sound in both DVD and music modes.Several will debate that, but I have NO reservations about owning this Sony.
Good luck!
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Vin

Supporting Actor
I agree with Alf's assesment of the Cerwin Vega.....I owned the LW-10 for a short while and although it was capable of playing quite loud with very little distortion, the boominess of it was maddening, IMO.
I've also heard the Sony and the JBL and will admit the Sony offers a tremendous bang for your buck but I feel the JBL hits much harder.
So, of the three you're considering I would go with the JBL if the price difference isn't an issue. If you do decide to go with the JBL you can get it for much less than Best Buy's price http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product_detail.asp?Inventory=782&Class=57
------------------

ace peterson

Second Unit
I purchased the pb-12 a few months ago and have been very happy with it. I use it mostly for movies though. What little experience I have with it playing music, it seems to do a fine job...
I bought it from consumer-direct for like $249 + some S&H.
Have fun!
Ace

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For the budget you are considering, look at a Paradigm PDR-8, Velodyne CT-80, or Klipsch KSW-12. If want to get one of those subs you mentioned, go with the Sony and stuff it with polyfill.

Vin

Supporting Actor
For the budget you are considering, look at a Paradigm PDR-8, Velodyne CT-80, or Klipsch KSW-12.
Gotta disagree with you on the recommendation for the CT-80 Bryan (and I happen to own a Velodyne myself, the CT-120). I previously owned the CT-100 and it would seem that it falls into Benny's budget, being that he's considering the PB-12 at Best Buy for around $400. If that's the case I highly recommend the CT-100.
I've heard the CT-80 and IMO it is severely underpowered....even the Sony has much more oomph than the "Velo for Kids, CT-80". I will agree with you that the Klipsch KSW-12 is a worthy contender in this price range. BTW, the KSW-10 (which hasn't been mentioned here by anyone) falls into the same category as the CT-80 IMO....more toy like than anything else.
I haven't heard the Paradigm PDR-8 so I can't comment on that one.....of the three subs Benny is considering my vote goes with the JBL PB-12 but if he can get the CT-100 for the same price, I say go for it!
Vin
patriot.gif

------------------

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Yeah. But if the max budget is $400 then it becomes a no brainer. Adire Audio Rava or, if he has something to power it with, SVS 25-31CS.

Benny G

Second Unit
bestpriceaudiovideo is the place I was looking at, considering it has a good reputation...
What If I end up having problems with it?? Does it still fall under manufacturer's warranty?? That's basically my only concern...servicing it if it ever needs it.
[Edited last by Benny G on September 21, 2001 at 11:23 AM]

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Please think about the Adire Audio Rava. Definately a nice sub. I have an SVS 20-39PC and my buddy has the Adire. While he and I both prefer my SVS, the adire does an admirable job for both music and movies.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
The JBL's have problems...check "audioreview.com", I was considering it, but then I was able to get the velo ct-100 and it's great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks