JBL PB12 sub failure - again?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-Smith, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

My PB12 has had the dreaded and oft reported internal amp failure. Since it is less than a year old JBL repaired the amp under warranty. According to the paper work there were two capacitors replaced. Has anyone experienced a second failure? If so, what is JBL doing about the second failure if it happens more than 12 months after purchase? I love the tight bass from this sub, and am VERY happy with my S-312's, S-Center, and S-26's, but this failure has left a bad taste in my mouth. [​IMG]

2. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Love my JBL speakers. My old PSW-12 lasted 3 years but finally crapped out. I was going to replace it w/ the PB12 but they just absolutely suck in quality. I really don't understand it, their PB10 hasn't had nearly the same issues with their amps.

I think you're SOL, but try calling and complaining to JBL. Maybe you'll get a nice guy on the phone who will understand your situation.

I didn't want to spend enough to upgrade to Infinity, Velodyne, or SVS so I just went w/ the Audiosource 15 and stuffed it w/ polyfill.

I finally have all the levels set and I'm pretty happy with it, but it isn't as tight as the JBL-12 was.

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

makes you kind of wonder if the pb12 amp is just sort of an "overclocked" (to borrow a term from computers) pb10 amp. that could possibly explain why there is the QC issues.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

What I don't understand is why there isn't a lawyer out there with a class action lawsuit against Harmon International as it seems both the Infinity and Jbl sub's amps goes out and that there was a slew of AVRs (I had two friends go thru 17 of them without being played at abusive levels! thank goodness for extended warrantees!) that it seems that what is the requirement to be a QC inspector for them.

If it was me I would simply replace the amp with one from PE, Adire, Rythmic, or Stryke (or Kyle) since as at least these amps are surviving the world of Diy and should more than adequately power this woofer though it might not sound the same due to the difference in the eq of the plate amp.

5. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I can't believe this post. I just started a new thread asking what I should do about my 1 day old PB12 that is DOA. That will teach me to read all of the days posts before I chime in. Anyway, I thought I was getting a killer deal (the PB12 at BB for $244.00 open box). I think I am going to just return it all together now and save the $ towards something else (SVS maybe). I too love my S312's but I need a sub. My old sub is lousy (Pioneer box set sub from 5 years ago). Any advice would be appreciated. Should I keep it and deal with the repair hassles or return it? I liked the sound at the store but never got to audition it at home. Will BB just take it back with the receipt? They should. If I didn't purchase the performance plan, who will I be dealing with for a repair, JBL or BB? Thanks, Mike.

6. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

If I could get out from under my PB12 I would do it in a heartbeat. It is a good sub, but there are other good subs out there without the amp problem. I contacted JBL to see if they would extend my sub electronics a year from the repair date (which was 8 months from purchase), and they said they honored 12 months from purchase - period. If they don't trust their electronics, why should we??

7. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

My sub is on the way back now. I don't yet know all of the particulars but I will let you know. I was assuered by BB that the warranty on mine is 5 years parts and five years labor. When I questioned this warranty being applied to the amp, the BB guy said it DOES apply to the amp. I know he is wrong about this though. I returned it Monday of this past week and it is already finished. I will give them credit for turnaround time but I have a sneaking suspicion that they did not replace the amp. If it doesn't work this time, I will get out from under it. I just don't think I'll ever be able to find a 250 watt sub for that kind of money again[​IMG] . If this sub lasts a year, I'll be suprised. I really love my JBL fronts (S312's) though. Direct from Harman and they sound terrific. MM

8. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Funny. I use the JBL 1200.1 car audio amp in my truck and it's fantastic. 1ohm stable as well (which is how I) run it. Took a trip to Minneapolis and blasted music the whole time (5 hours+) there and back and it barely even got hot.

Maybe the JBL car audio people should do stuff for the home people.

I used to have the pb12 and never had a problem with it. Sold it to my supervisor at work and he hasn't had any problems either. Bought it in 2001, IIRC.

9. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

Mike,
    There are plenty of dealers who advertise on ebay who will sell you the PB12 for about the same price. W/ shipping I think you can get it for ~$280. That's if you really want a sub that seems to have a 1 in 2 chance of having a lousy amp.

I bought the Audiosource 15 200W for $199 shipped from Amazon. It has a cheap driver but is acceptable for home theater. Not very musical, but it was in my price range and can fill up a small room. A 10" just couldn't handle what I want to do. It isn't as tight as my old JBL 12", but it also works, unlike my old JBL 12".