JBL PB12 or SVS20-39pci?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Nov 21, 2002.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I need to replace my old weak sub with a better one. A friend at work let me use his jbl pb12 which sounds great in my room, and I can get it for 225.00. Or I could buy one of those svs subs for 599+shipping.
    My first impressions with the jbl are great, although I've never really demo'd any subs before and my current one is a radioshack 100watt 8in model:b
    I'm just wondering if the svs is worth twice as much for my needs, I'm not a bass fanatic but I do want good bass for movies, although I never listen at reference levels.
    (Baby+wife= moderate listening habits)

Thanks for your suggestions,

John

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

They really are in different leagues. The JBL might be a great sub for the price but the SVS will stomp over it in every way it can. It is a significant difference in price but IMO it is worth it.

Maybe you could save some money by looking in the hardware for sale section here, do a search for SVS. I've seen a some SVS' come up recently and a few have nothing posted about them being sold

3. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Not to sound like a know-it-all, but SVS will kick JBL's a$$ all over the place. I have a 20-39 PCi and it's the best investment I ever made in HT. I listened to the best JBL 12" they had at BestBuy and it was about $350. It was WEAK compared to the SVS. Trust me, trust everyone in this forum who has ever posted anything about an SVS sub. Pound-for_pound, dollar-for-dollar, it's the BEST sub you're gonna find. It rattles my teeth, my windows, my roof, my wife, my cats, my brain. It rules. Seriously. Go get one now.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

But if you don't need your teeth, your windows, your roof, your wife, your cats, and your brain RATTLED then go with the PB12. From the info in your post it appears it will be more than sufficient and a serious upgrade over your current sub.

5. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

If you wanna save a little cash, the 25-31pci is probabaly good enouch for you knowing that you're not a bass fanatic..
    I have the 25-31cs with PE 250w and I have a big smile evertime I watch a movie.

6. JohnTKline

It's not so much about saving cash, although it would be nice, it's just picking one out that plays movies well for my needs, as I listen to movies probably -20 under reference.

I've listened to the jbl12 which sounds great to me, however a lot of people here rave about the svs, so it has me tempted to try it out. If only there were a way to demo one, it's hard for me to take that leap of faith, you know?
    And will the difference be night and day? I mean this jbl rumbles my room as it is, what can I expect? I don't need louder, maybe deeper or feel it more??

John

7. CoreyH

CoreyH Stunt Coordinator

Try AudioEnvy regarding a demo. There may be someone in your area.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I don't play my movies at reference, or anything approaching it. But one of the merits of an SVS is that it sounds good way down low even at lower volume levels, whereas the JBL won't go into those depths at all. I'd second the recommendation that you at least try to audition an SVS and see what it does for you.

9. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps building a DIY sub. A single shiva with a 250W Plate amp might be just what you're looking for. You can probably put it all together for around $300US too.

Not quite sure how it would compare to the SVS, but maybe someone else on the forum does.

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

11. JohnTKline

12. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I agree also that the SVS makes a big difference at low volumes.

My SVS CS Utra, Samson S1000, SVS bass interface box cost me more than my 5 speakers and receiver but I think it's the best value in my system!

13. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Another way to look at it is.....you will be less inclined to upgrade a SVS sub because your original purchase was sub-par. There are not many subs in SVS's price range that can also make that claim.
    BTW I own a 16-46 Pci which is more than adequate for my needs. [​IMG]

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I will also add this, Jbl doesn't really have a good track record for their subs being that durable as well (just check audioreview's website). The Jbl has a lot more competitors in it's price range while going to the SVS really thins out the herd dramatically (really if you think about it the only true competitors are HSU, Adire, and the DIY market and those that build for these such as Stryke, Kyle, and Brian). The Jbl is a temporary solution while not only does the SVS have a longer longevity (after owning it, going to a store won't bring home doubts, envy, or regrets) but heck they even seem to have an upgrade plan (they sold woofers that people could upgrade their subs with).

15. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

16. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I have the PB12 and I like ok but it wont go low. Its rated to 25hz but in order to get frequencies that low to satisying levels(if thats even possible[​IMG]), you have to turn the sub way up and it makes everything else to loud and bloated sounding. So I end up turning it back down to calibrated levels and just do without much below I'm guessing 35Hz or 40Hz. In fairness though the room I have it in is probably just to big for it. As far as reliablity problems that was because they were using an amp that would get to hot and burn itself up when left in standby mode. Another problem I read about was people having problems with the LEDs on the front not working correctly. All this was about a year ago or more and supposedly they have fixed these problems. My sub is about 7 months old and I havent had any problems with it. (Knock on Wood [​IMG]). In the End though I wish I would have saved up a little longer and got something better like the SVS. Good Luck.

17. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Remember that the sub will be doing the bass for all the speakers, so you can think of it like you get to upgrade all the speakers at the same time that you get a sub!

18. Joseph_ P

Joseph_ P Stunt Coordinator

hello there, i replaced a definitive technology sub that had a 15 inch sub in it. it cost me around 600.00 bux at the time. i got a 16-46 cs+/samson 1000 combo and it
    quite literally blows the def -tech away at any volume.
    high, low, in the middle it doesnt matter, all bass notes are
    much clearer and hit with a ton more authority when its called for. id buy the svs if i were you and nobody will take care of you better than the svs guys, ask anyone who has purchased one. these svs subs just have a way of leaving their new owners with a big sh!t eatin grin.
    and like you stated you wanted it for movies. these subs will astound you when your watching your favorite movies.
    and you'll be watching your old movies again just to hear
    the sound fx again!!!!! and hey you've got 45 days to send it back although that doesnt happen very often.
    i think i saw a 25-31 pci or plus in the svs b-stock section today you may want to check it out. any way have fun with whatever you purchase!
    [​IMG]