JBL PB12 for music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Mar 21, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering the JBL PB12 for my HT. I was just looking for opinions on this guy, as far as using it in HT and for music. I have as much, if not more, music use as HT. I finally got approval on this purchase ( woo hoo!) from the better half. So, it had better sound pretty good (great in her words) while listening to CDs and movies. I'm also open to suggestions for another sub ($300 limit, out the door). I've looked at the Sony ($200), but like the JBL because it has better power and some have said that the Sony is boomy. Also auditioned the KSW12, opinions here?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I would get the JBL PB12 over the Klipsch KSW12 and Sony.

The only issue i've heard is about the reliability of the integrated amp. JBL should have resolved it by now if you get a new model but I don't know for sure.

3. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I've read about the problems with the amps. They guy I talked to from jandr said that he's sold about 500 of them lately, and hasn't heard of any problems with them. Even so, it comes with a full factory warranty from JBL if purhcased through a authorized dealer (jandr is according to the JBL site).

Chris, why do you recommend the JBL over the Klipsch and Sony? Have you heard all of them, especially with music? Thanks!

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have had the PB12 for about 18 months and it has been great. I haven't heard about any amp probelms with the PB series. There were problems with the older PSW series. I think the PB12 performs great with music and movies.

5. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Just order the PB 12 yesterday. I listened to it and the PB 10 at best buy and chose the PB12. I also got a great price 278 shipped, all JandR could do is 299 shipped. I can't wait until it gets here. Also order the NSP1. I was going to get the HK 320, but have decided to wait on the Onkyo 600.

6. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I used to have a KSW 12. Before that I tried the Sony sub for a few days. A friend of mine has the PB 12 (she bought it based on my recommendation).
    So I have experience with all 3.
    I used to have all JBL speakers (which had 8" powered subs in each tower), so I was going to get the PB 10 or 12 to keep it an all JBL system. I listened to them, and liked them, but they were out of my wife's price range at the time. [​IMG] I saw the Sony sub after reading rave reviews on it. I bought it at Best Buy and brought it home. I was not impressed. It had less bass than my two 8" subs in my JBL towers. And the $99 KLH 10" sub from Costco sounded better (to me) than the Sony. I just couldn't get it it put out much bass.
    Then I upgraded my entire system (JVC to Denon - huge upgrade, JBL to Klipsch). I bought the KSW 12 with my system. A pretty good sub for the money. I was somewhat happy with it, but it didn't sound as tight as the two 8" subs in the old JBL towers. I always thought the PB 12 in my friends system went deeper and sounded better. I wished I had gotten it instead. But now I have upgraded to a Velodyne SPL1200. No comparison - this thing rocks. A lot more money, too!
    I always tell me wife if she had just let me spend $400 on the JBL sub, I wouldn't have had to go out and spend $5K on a new system. I would have been happy and stopped looking - yeah right! [​IMG]
    So after all that what do I say - the JBL sub - easily. For the price, and those 3 subs - go with it.
    However, you might want to check out Hsu VTF2 and Adire Dharman (or something like that). I am not sure what their prices are, but they are supposed to be some great subs for the money.
    Bryan