What's new

Jbl PB-12 sub problems? Cerwin Vega?? (1 Viewer)

Bob-Smith

Agent
I spent two hours yesterday at Best Buys auditioning JBL speakers and picking the brains of various salespeople with various degrees of knowledge. The "department manager" advised that he would not buy the JBL sub because of problems with the sub. He indicated they are seeing 50-60% failure rate on JBL's. He also said that the problem may be with older units mfd. before January 1, 2002, but he was surprised that JBL did not do a recall on the subs. He advised either the Sony WM-40 or the Cerwin Vega 12" (don't remember the number), and further suggested the Sony would probably not hold up for too long under hard use because of the paper used for the woofer. Any experience or opinions??

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I have no idea what this guy was talking about in terms of recent build. Most of the amp problems in both PB designs were handled long ago (well before 1/1/02) and if this guy is still selling stock 'that' old I would certainly take a pass. If having heard the subs in question you liked the sound of the PB12 I suggest you order it from JandR.com with free shipping. JBL's have a standard 5 yr. warranty.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what the price range of those units are at besbuy...but the vtf-2 can be had for $499 direct from hsuresearch and its sure to be a step up in performance.

TV

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
PB12 retails for $379 at BestBuy right now, add tax and it’s probably around $400. There was a problem with the amp, I have heard that JBL has fixed it, but I’m not sure about that. As TV said VTF-2 is a very good sub, the best deal I saw was for $449 shipped from NAX.com. I don’t know if they are still offering it thou. Another sub in the price range is Adire Audio Rava it’s $399 and probably another $30 for shipping. There might be some used SVS for sale since there are tons of us upgrading to the PCi’s and you might be able to get them for a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks