What's new

JBL NSP1s and SVS (1 Viewer)

Hey guys, I'm finally getting into my apartment so am ready to upgrade my home theater. For speakers, I'm looking at the NSP1s thanks to Phil's excellent material on them as well as all the positive comments. I'm thinking about going with the Onkyo 600 when it comes out, which leads to my question: if I bought a pair of N26s to use as fronts, I could use one of the N24s as a rear 6th channel...or could I somehow wire both spare N24s into the 6th amp on the Onkyo? (or more importantly, will it work properly and not destroy anything if I do this? :) )
Secondly, I'm planning on purchasing a SVS. I convinced my father to purchase a 20-39 CS when I designed his theater, and want one myself now. However, at the moment I am in an apartment (or will be at the end of the month, rather). This is the floorplan, though the furniture arrangement is not correct. I will be using a front projection setup with the left wall being the viewing surface (until I get a screen). The entire apartment is 1445 square feet.
Link Removed
So, now that you have an idea of the scale, I pose the question of what subwoofer is right for me? Initially, my choice would be the 16-46 CS+. Briefly I pondered a CS-Ultra. However, thinking about it further, a regular CS or even a PCi would probably be adequate (the 25-31 PCi is a bargain!). So, my options:
CS-Ultra $1399 Yeah, right. This waits until I'm out of college, then I buy a pair, along with a full set of Paradigm Reference. :)
16-46 CS+ $1049 Expensive, really low bass.
25-31 CS+ $ 949 Expensive (might as well just buy the 16-46 CS+).
16-46 CS $ 875 Midrange, really low bass.
25-31 CS $ 729 Midrange.
16-46 PCi $ 749 Midrange (better to just get CS?)
25-31 PCi $ 549 Cheap (relatively speaking).
Anyway, these are my thoughts...I'd appreciate some input, and perhaps Tom will give me his analysis as well. Thanks guys!
Daniel

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
im in an similar situation. i already have an onkyo 575x (the predecessor to the 595) and the nsp1. i really want to save up the cash and get a PCi at the end of the summer. i was really only considering the 25-31, because basically everything i have bought so far has been a "bang for the buck" move. i know i wont be able to appreciate the difference between the 25-31 and the better SVSs yet, and im still young, i have to have something to look forward to later in life, right?

anyways, im sure other people will have better opinions, but thats mine...

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
No idea which sub, but just had to say WOW that's some LARGE appartment! I just bought a townhouse and it's only 1400 sq ft, which doesn't include the basement but still.

Hope you don't get tired giong from one room to the other LOL

Yeah...I'd much prefer to go with one of the models that cuts off at 16Hz, but that PCi has some serious value. And should be more than adequate for the apartment, too.
As for the apartment, two other people will live there, so its not *that* huge...tis decent sized, though...and I get to have an outdoor grill again! (Quick lunch == Throw hot dogs on grill, choose movie to watch, flip dogs, settle on movie and configure options and sound settings, get dogs, watch movie :) )
Daniel

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Daniel - I'm sure when Tom chimes in, he'll help you make a decision based on your layout. If he doesn't (busy shipping PCi's, etc.), try emailing him.
FYI: For me personally, I ordered the 25-31PCi for my http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/HTRoom.html
16-46PCi is in purple, 20-39PCi is in red, and the 25-31PCi is in light blue.
I can live with a system that's a couple of dB's shy of the upper models @ 20Hz, but with more SPL between 30Hz to 80Hz.
...or could I somehow wire both spare N24s into the 6th amp on the Onkyo? (or more importantly, will it work properly and not destroy anything if I do this?
Reviewing Onkyo's User Manual should be your guide, if it doesn't have 2 rear center channel outputs. Following their recommendation will ensure Onkyo honoring your units warranty should it require it.
Phil

If what i've read so far is correct, the Onkyo 600 does not have 2 outputs for the rear channel. So, to keep things operating properly, I suppose I'll have to settle for only a single rear speaker. Or perhaps I'll just hold off on the N26s...

The PCi continues to taunt me...

Daneil

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Daniel, what type of music do you like? If you are a big pipe organ fan...I would go with a 20-39PCi or a 16-46PCi. If you aren't much of a pipe organ fan...a 25-31PCi should be fine. In this type of layout...it would still exten to the 21-23hz range...which is plenty deep enough for >99% of all source material out there.(and like you said...can't beat the price :) ).I've tried a 25-31PCi in my HT room for a couple of days...it is really a good subwoofer,really good.
Let me know if you have any other questions Daniel,
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks