JBL NSP1 w/JBL 250 Watt sub: How will that sound? Need Opinions PLZ!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Stanton, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

I am nearing that time when I get my discount at Best Buy. Next week I am purchasing my home theatre system.
    Right now, I am looking towards the JBL NSP1 Package along with the 250 watt JBL sub woofer. I plan on getting the Yamaha 5280 (I believe thats the model number, its the best reciever BB carries). What are some opinions on how this will sound? Will this sound pretty nice? I plan on hooking my DVD player and computer to this system (gonna be in my dorm room). But what I am wondering is will this sound good?
    I kind of thought of gettin the S-center speaker, and the JBL 312 speakers (I think thats the model number, they are the floor standing ones, but not the 412 ones). I was thiknking of maybe getting those speakers and the 250 watt sub woofer, and the reciever. BUT I don't know if it is worth spending the extra cash on that, + I would not have surround speakers in the rear yet. What would you all do in my shoes?
    Will the NSP1 package w/that sub be enough for what I am looking for in DVD playback and sound for my computer? Please give me some opinions. THanks!
    -Drew

2. Daniel_I

Daniel_I Auditioning

Kinda off-topic (sorry) but if you don't mind my asking, what's the employee discounted price for the NSP-1 setup? (The regular price there is $450.)

3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I don't have that exact package, but I do have the N-Center, the PB-10 sub and N38's as main... they sound very nice with my Onkyo 595.

4. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

The price of the NSP1 Package w/the employee discount is $266.59. The thing is, if I were to get the studio level speakers, I would be paying alot more. BUT I would be getting more of what I wanted. Please some more opinions on this. THanks.
    -Drew

5. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I was originally looking at the S-312's, but compared to the cheaper N-38's... I liked the N-38's better. The S series sounded "tinny" to me... like the treble was turned up too much. Now I don't consider myself an "audiophile" but I just went with I thought sounded better, and it just so happened to be the Northridge series. I also couldn't notice a huge difference between the N-Center and the S-Center, so I stayed with the N Series.

6. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I think that will be a good system at a great price. The 5280 does seem like a lot of receiver to drive these speakers. I would normally recommend spending at least twice as much on speakers as you do on the receiver (I spent over 3.5x). But given your purchasing advantage at BB and their fairly limited speaker selection, you've made some good picks.
    You might consider buying the Sony SAWM40 subwoofer instead and saving a few bucks (I think the BB employee discount puts it at $112). The Sony should play just as loud or louder but won't be quite as musical as the JBL. At least that's what many have said.

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Drew,
    I work at BB too. Test that sub a little more. I've found that our JBL subs are way too muddy. Perhaps the Yamaha subs we car will be more to your liking. I think they sound a lot better but that's always a matter of opinion.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

quote: JBL NSP1 Package along with the 250 watt JBL sub woofer . . . Yamaha 5280 . . . Will this sound pretty nice?[/quote]
    Yes!!! After you REF Calibrate the entire setup (using VE / AVIA / or the internal test signals), you'll enjoy the crystal clear highs and that famous dynamic JBL equipped Cinema DD/DTS/SDDS THX Theater sounds. If your neighbor's don't complain, playing the NSP1's/pwr-sub @ or near REF level is very impressive.
    My usual Friday NITE DVD Movie crowd (family & friends) loves the JBL HT Theater Sound and they hope I don't start charging admittance. Especially since I just upgraded to the Toshiba 50H81 16:9 50" HDTV monitor! [​IMG]
    For more INFO on the JBL NSP1's & other JBL speakers, including reviews/links, see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/JBL_Labs.html
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 24, 2001 at 04:46 PM]

9. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Hey guys, thanks alot for your input and opinions.
    Today while I was at my other job (not best buy) I was talkin to some people about what I should do. Now I have come to a conclusion about 2 things I am doing. It is pretty much a definite on one or the other. Gimmie some opinions on this please!
    First of all, I am like %100 gettin the Yamaha 5280 reciever. Now for the speakers, here are my 2 options I have in mind:
    1. The NSP1 Package and the JBL 12" 250 watt sub (I stil forget the damn model name!) And if I were to get this, I would be getting all this at once.
    2. The S312 2 main front speakers. From here I would add the rest, such as a sub woofer, center, then rears. BUT if I were to go this route, and go piece by piece, I would only be able to afford the pair of S312 speakers at one time, then go piece by piece as it goes on. And if I were to do this, which speaker should I get 2nd, 3rd? I know I should get the rear's last. But should I get a center or sub first IF i were to go this route?
    The reason I would only get those 2 main speakers is strictly a money issue. Those speakers, per pair w/my discount is about $450. The NSP1 + Sub woofer is about $475 or so. BUT I am strongly considering just going piece by piece and gettin the 312's at first because I would really like these to last for a while, and w/the service plan (its like $2 per speaker for employees) I can make them last very long.
    I am going to be using this for hooking up my computer to get playback on that, AND for my dvd/ps2 stuff. With the 2 312 speakers, it seems like I would get better playback on my mp3's from my computer, since I can have it ran in stereo. BUT, all in all, which do you guys think is the better investment for me? Like I said, I am in no NECESARY hurry to get all my stuff at once, but I would like to at the same time. I would rather wait off on stuff if what I get is better than if I were to get the NSP1/SUB combo at once. But what do you guys think about this? Thanks for the input!
    -Drew

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Sean,
    I've got a PB12 also and would like to optimize it's sound. I originally had the switch set to "Normal" (vs. "LFE") with the crossover set at 100hz using a line level input. So, you're saying to switch it to "LFE" and then don't bother with the crossover because it's bypassed, is that right? So, would I need to mess with the sub crossover frequency on my receiver? If so, what would I set it to, 80hz, 100hz or 120hz? I don't think I've ever heard a clear explanation of how the sub crossover works...that's why I ask. Anyway, I'm still pretty green when it comes to HT so would you have any other suggestions to tweak the PB12?
    By the way, regarding the BB sub selection, I'll take my PB12 in a second over any Sony or Yamaha they carry there!

11. Paulus

Paulus Agent

Drew,
    I have the HTR-5280, NSP-1 package but the PB10. To be honest it's a great system and a great stepping stone to something greater. Yes, the receiver seems expensive compared to the speakers but remember that this receiver will last you a lot of upgrades. For example my plans are as follows ...
    1. Bigger screen 36 inch Wega to 50 inch Toshiba? (Irrelevant I know [​IMG] )
    2. Front speakers (all three)
    3. Surrounds
    4. Five channel amp
    5. Subwoofer
    6. Processor (this is maybe 4 years down the line for me)
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=
    [Edited last by Paulus on August 24, 2001 at 11:22 PM]
    [Edited last by Paulus on August 24, 2001 at 11:24 PM]

12. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

I recently gathered all the components to my low-end Home Theater with the NSP1 Package, Sony SAWM40 sub, and a Sony STR-DE945 reciever. I couldn't be happier with the performance of these pieces. Sure my ear isn't "well trained" but the more expensive speakers might sound better, but when you live in an apartment, these babies do a lot of damage, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. So basically, you can't go wrong with the NSP1 package!
    Chris

13. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Hahaha, very true Sean. Everytime I pop in a DVD with a great soundtrack, I get teary eyed!!! [​IMG] I can't recoment this package enough for anybody on a budget.
    Chris

14. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I have heard this set up in a living room. One of the guys that works in video with me has it. He put all the stuff in and I came over with AVIA, Video Essentials, and my dB meter. You are probably looking for small speakers and they are small, yet they do have a rather wide range of sound. Thumbs up, very good for the price (even better with employee price).
    P.S. try those new Monster banana plugs. I have had so many problems with them coming off and I hate the soldering kind. I have them on my S38 rears and they are awesome. All you have to do is unscrew the bottom of the plug, strip the wire about 3/8", stick it through the hole in the bottom, and screw the top back on. They are very rugged. And with your discount, they are no where near $20.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Sean,
    I never really use my sub for music because my fronts go down to 35hz.
    I messed with the settings a bit last night prior to watching "Goonies." I switched it to "LFE" to see if I would notice any difference and I did...the bass was a lot tighter! I had the receiver's sub crossover set at 100hz, but I may drop it to 80hz to see if I can hear any further difference. Other than that, I'm using the same settings that you are.
    Thanks for the help!

16. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Thanks Sean for the link compliment! [​IMG]
    As an FYI, . . . you'll love this, . . . one HT SPoT & HT Forum member wanted a first hand view of my Toshiba 50H81, and since he lived about 15 miles away, I said, what the hey, . . . come on over.
    Well, while playing "The Fifth Element" (his REF DVD - which he used to check out a 56H80 the day before), commented about how impressive the 50H81 DVD picture was! Then as the action got intense (I skipped it forward to Bruce Willis fire-fight on the second floor on the cruise spaceship), . . . he looked around and said how tight and seamless the surround sounds were. He then said again, that the JBL's were really well-matched (he meant timbre - voiced matched)! He was also amazed how balanced the overall sound was and how clear the highs were, which was one of his priorities in sound.
    He was basically comparing them to his KEF speakers (tweeter in the middle of the driver) then I turned it up to -8 dB from REF Level, and he couldn't believe how the JBL's sounded!! Very dynamic and just like a Cinema Theater! (my powered sub is the Audio Source SW15 - 200w 15")
    Then I told him what I paid**, and his jaw dropped [​IMG] , . . . exclaiming that I got a great sounding speakers for less money than he did!
    Anyway, he was more interested in my HDTV monitor, and so that was that, but it was fun too hear his comments! I just love demo'ing my NSP1's to audiophiles and enthusiasts. When times get better in Silicon Valley, my brother is updating his setup to the JBL NSP1's. (He has Pinnacles)
    **$223.87 (minus-sub - Apr. '00 - No CA Tax, includes S/H / used 15% off coupon and previously earned $42 Globe$$ - shop.theglobe.com no longer sells Electronics)
    Enjoy,
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra

17. Lisa

Lisa Extra

This is kind of off the subject...
    My parents got the JBL NSP1 set up with the PB-12 subwoofer back in April. The whole thing totally rocks! A week ago the subwoofer just died for no apparent reason. It was on and the volume wasn't turned up very high or anything but it just died (no power, no light, nothing). They called to the authorized JBL service center and the guy there told them that the sub was not new to them! He already had a backorder of 2 months for a defective part for those subs! Has anyone else had this happen? Just curious and a little FYI...