JBL NSP1 vs. Energy Take 5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Weisbord, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Dave Weisbord

Dave Weisbord Auditioning

I am a newbie at this Home Theater business. The cash is there, but the wife might flip if I spent too much of it. So, I've heard good things on this forum and elsewhere about the JBL NSP1 system, and have seen it for about $290. In addition, a local store has an "open box" (meaning a demo set) of last years Energy Take Fives for $299.
    Both sets of speakers sound good to me, but in a store setting - who can tell?
    Any opinions?
    Dave

2. James_C

James_C Agent

I too am fairly new. I live in a townhouse so space is an issue with me. I started looking at all of the small sub/sat systems out there. I had previously narrowed it down to the Paradigm Atoms and the Energy 5.2 system. I haven't herd the Energy 5 system but from what I read the 5.2 has many great upgrades. While I was trying to decide, I stumbled upon the Definitive Technology ProCinema 100 system at a store. These are awsome!!! If you are going to be watching action movies with big bass, take a look at this system. The sub will beat any sub/sat system. It is a little more expensive but I think it is well worth the extra price! I will be getting the system within the next couple of weeks...

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I choose the JBL NSP1's back in April 2000 after reading 1997 Stereo Review article "Baby Grands" by Corey Greenberg (pg. 80) quote: . . .I have to point out that the Energy system doesn't sound much like a movie theater, . . .[/quote] (I have the magazine) This was a very BIG ISSUE for me, why setup an HT System if it can't sound SPL wise, like your local Cinema Theater?? (for LFE/Sub, I have the AudioSource SW15)
    And then after doing some Yahoo searching, I found these two reviews:
    1) http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/energytake5/index.html
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on October 03, 2001 at 08:42 AM]

4. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Um so Phil what side are you on, sorry I got confuse. I'm pretty much in the same situation except that I'm also considering Klipsch quintet. I'm planning to audition all three today, but the set up they have at Best Buy for the JBL NSP1 does not do it justice.

5. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Phil,
    I moved my web site off of Homestead (as they decided to start charging for hosting) and managed to get a private server thanks to my nephew so you might want to update you review links .
    Here are my current speaker reviews:
    The Klipsch Quintets: http://www.digitalvortex.com/klipsch.htm
    The Take-5's: http://www.digitalvortex.com/take5.htm
    The AT270THX: http://www.digitalvortex.com/at270thx.htm
    I still have the Klipsch which I moved to my living room and for such small speakers they really produce. I have not had a chance to listen to the new Energy Take 5.2 system so can not comment on them.
    I will say I am completely thrilled with my JBL S36's and S-Center speakers!!!
    Look for a full review of the JBL's to be posted on my site in the next few days.
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Thanks Mark!! I updated my TAke5 links to your new URL location.
    Glad your JBL S36s (all six) & S-Center are fullfilling your sonic senses and requirements. Looking forward to reading, then posting a link to your JBL S36 & S-Center speaker review. Bet ya' can't wait to clean-off the cobwebs and dust off the shelves with your JBL / dual-SVS setup on October 16!!???!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The "Phantom Menance" DVD should leave you with this reaction [​IMG]
    Phil [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra

7. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I really can't decide between these two. The Energy Take 5 sound really good, I like it a little bit more than the klipsch quintet, and I would buy it right now except I can't find a place that has a good set up for the JBL NSP1. I've heard a lot of good reviews for the JBL and it does cost $100 less, but Best Buy's set up for it just sucks. So for those of you who's heard both in a good set up, which one performs better.

8. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Tan & David,
    How hard would it be to audition the speakers in your home?
    Buy the JBLs from Best Buy, set them up at home, and if you don't like them bring them back. Ask the Energy dealer the same question.
    How they sound in YOUR room is what matters.
    I've auditioned the Klipsh and Energy 5.2 side by side. The Klipsh sub was bigger, but I wouldn't say better. IMHO.
    I liked both systems. For me, the edge went to Energy, although the Klipsh were cheaper.
    But honestly never heard the JBLs.

9. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Good idea, havn't thought about that one. Now all I need is the right receiver, I'm almost set on buying the Harmon Kardon AVR110 from Etronics.com for $285 except that I havn't heard too much good stuff about their lower end receivers. I do hear a lot of praises for Onkyo's lower end receivers though.

10. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

So you think the Harmon Kardon AVR110 and the JBL NSP-1 and a JBL PSW-D110 subwoofer (this ones free) will be a good combination? Basically are the AVR110 or the NSP-1 going to over power the other, vise versa.

11. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

You are asking a hard question because it's so subjective. It really depends on what you prefer and consider cinema type sound. I have a Take 5 set up and think they are great. However, since JBL came out with these newer lines of speakers, I've been pretty impressed with them from the get go and have recommended them also. I think the Take 5 are more sonically neutral and don't "notch" or change very much when changing position in the room. I don't get the same feel with the JBL's. However, there's quite a bit more high frequency extension into the room with the NSP's.
    Another key is the reciever. I have an Onkyo and did have a Sony. The speakers mated very well. However, if you had a Yamaha and my set up, it may not be as appealing. I would pick your reciever first. But that's just me.
    I'm upgrading to a bigger set up currently and wouldn't spend more money without knowing the quality (high, neutral, reserved, etc.) that I would be amplifying them with for the next period of time. Most folks will tell you to put your money in speakers first. I can't argue that. But if you are going the budget route, and I know that path, both considerations are important due to the fact you aren't sure when you can upgrade.
    Take the good advice posted above - go to Best Buy and get the set up at your home. Demo it to you are satisfied. At least with the Energy dealer, you have a pretty close approximation of what that set will sound like , give or take a few points. Then keep what you like. I will tell you now to take time playing with the sub crossovers and placement before making a decision on either system.
    Good luck!
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

For a budget system, I'd go with a Denon AVR-1602 and some Paradigm Atoms. (You'll need a center channel too and I wouldn't skimp on it!) Add a Sony SM-W40 12" sub. You won't be displeased.

13. Dave Weisbord

Dave Weisbord Auditioning

Thanks to all the input I received. In the final analysis both sets sound good. i got a good deal on the Energy Take 5s from Good Guys. I'm assuming they were demos. $299 for the 5 speakers. They even threw in their 10-year store warranty.
    Now I just have to set these babies up, convince the wife that we must also have a subwoofer, and I'm all set.
    Dave

14. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

The big problem with Best Buy speaker demo setups is the ancient equipment that they're using. At my store and many others, all of the speaker demos are linked to a 5-year old laserdisc player outputing an analog audio signal. So, at best you're getting Pro Logic surround instead of DD/DTS and half the time the demos don't even work correctly. It's really fun trying to sell speakers to my customers just because our "project team" won't get off their asses and fix the demo room.
    My advice: If you're considering getting the NSP-1 package, take it home for a while and try it. This will give you the best idea, since it allows you to test the speakers in your own room acoustics. If you like them, keep them. If not, just return them.

15. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Dave,
    Get the sub soon! Tell her it's not a matter or want, but you honestly NEED a sub with satellite speakers.
    On a related note, Best Buy is selling the Sony 12" sub for $149 right now. The rebate ends Sat, the 6th, so you'd have to jump fast. I just got one last night to hold me over to after the New Year, when I can buy a Velo or SVS, but the Sony blends surprisingly well. Not bad at all....
    Have fun with the Take 5 - you'll have them somewhere in your house forever, even if you upgrade your main system!
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....