What's new

JBL NSP-1 speakers vs. Onkyo 494 (1 Viewer)

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the glowing reviews I've seen, I ordered the JBL NSP-1 package from J&R. While awaiting delivery, I have continued tos eek information about these speakers, and now am wondering if my Onkyo 494 (honestly rated at 55 watts per channel) has enough power for them.

I don't listen at reference level, and I do have a powered sub (Mirage PS12-90). One site I uncovered recommended 70 watts per channel due to the N24's relative inefficiency.

My current system was a timbral nightmare. Left over from the pro-logic days, my rears are little Yamahas, my center is a Mirage, and my fronts are Tannoys. Since we've gotten into DD and DTS, we've become painfully aware of the overall audio mismatch, and the price at J&R was too good to pass up.

Is anyone else using a 494 or similarly powered receiver with these speakers? I'm just hoping I'll be able to reach a comfortably loud level - no need to rattle the folks next door. Thanks for any input!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Robert, you should be fine, since you have have a powered sub (Mirage PS12-90)!
An easy and simple way to calculate your systems SPL capability, is to use the sensitivity rating of your speakers and create a Watt vs. SPL chart (see below).
1: It takes at least 3 dB of SPL increase for human hearing to perceive an increase of loudness.
2: In terms of Power output Vs SPL, to achieve 3 dB increase of SPL requires doubling (i.e. x2) the REC/AMP Power Wattage.
JBL N24 Speakers Rated @ 86 dB Sensitivity (1W @ 1 M)
===============
Watts--SPL (dB)
1------86
2------89
4------92
8------95
16-----98
32-----101

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Phil! It was your site which recommended the 70 watts per channel for the NSP-1s, but I suspect as you mentioned the Onkyo will drive them adequately for my needs.

The Mirage will be replaced later this year with one of the new SVS PCi subs.

I am really looking forward to finally having timbre-matched speakers. One of the reviews I found mentioned that wall-mounting increases bass response, but the front speakers should not be located behind the center channel speaker. Might be worth some experimenting.

What to do with the Tannoys? I suspect I can either rig up a bedroom system or use them as alternate 2 channel music speakers if the Onkyo still passes the bass to the sub for the "B" speakers.

Thanks again for the good words!

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
About 6 months ago I bought the NSP1 package. I'm running thru a Denon 2801 (90 WPC). These are good speakers and at first I was happy. You can go thru the numbers and it all looks great.----PROVIDED you're sitting right in front of the speakers and the amps turned up high which is where you'll be watching movies. But music??

I can only tell you what I found using these speakers.

1. I can not get the real kick-ass rock & roll sound from these speakers.

2. These speakers seem to cast a narrow sound stage and the SPL drops off quickly as you move a few feet away from your easy chair. Not room filling sound.

3. For movies they are great

4. For 300 bucks you can't buy 5 better speakers.

All said, I have replaced my two mains with a little larger bookshelf speakers and I'm happy.

Replacing the two front N24's with N26's(or ?) may work fine and it's only a few bucks more.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Kenny, are you running them with a sub? Most of what I've read says they do just OK on music, much better with a powered sub. But the JBL "Matched" subs are no match for a more high-end (or should I say "low end"?) sub, and I'm hoping that will do the trick. The room itself has great natural acoustics, too.

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I'm running a PB10 JBL sub. It's OK but just OK.

I ran the NSP1 without a sub for a while--Even tho the PB10 is not all that good it did really warm-up the sound.

Enjoy the NSP1 system, even if you deceide to change the mains you're not out much.

Doug Lachman

Auditioning
I have this same arrangement with the SAWM-40 sub and it is great. I too thought it was going to be underpowered with the Onkyo 494, but calibrating it with an SPL meter made all the difference.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Doug, is there a particular procedure for calibration archived somewhere I could look up? I guess I was planning to use the receiver's built-in test tones. I suspect you are talking about a far more comprehensive procedure.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
. . . a far more comprehensive procedure.
Robert - not really, . . . read my REFERENCE Calibration process webpage CALIBRATION TECHNIQUES using Video Essentials DVD. I also have AVIA (another Audio/Video Calibration DVD) but use VE for speed and the LFE Test Signal.
This process is the same for your AV Receiver's Test Tones, which will serve you well until you decide to get a Audio/Video Calibration DVD.
Phil

Doug Lachman

Auditioning
Robert - While the VE or Avia would be the preferred software, I used the THX Optimode that was on my X-Men DVD (also found on other Fox Studio DVDs) and used the techniques Phil has on his site. I found this to be adequate for my use and it made a big difference after I finished.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
FYI: Don't hesitate to utilize your Internal AV Receiver's test tones! Here's why . . . a couple of quotes from last years thread (date? didn't copy it) quoting HTF member Roger Dressler from Dolby Labs (Director of Technology Strategy) responding . . . (entire quote copied without modification)
------------------
Roger Dressler
Dolby Laboratories
Interesting - eh? I always verify my DVD REF Level Calibration vs. my Yamaha Internal Test Tones. The only difference between my REF Calibration VE DVD vs. Yamaha Receiver's Internal Test Tones is the Volume Knob REF Mark, where the Internal Test Tones is approximately 2 1/2 dB lower.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks