What's new

JBL NSP 1 spaker system for entry level HT. Good buy? (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I will be getting my first HT set up for my upcoming B-day. So far, I am down to the Onkyo 600 or HK 520 for the receivers.

And the speakers, I'm thinking the NSP 1's. I was comtemplating buying separate boston acoustics components but then went over my budget. The I came across the JBL's. For the money ($250) and later a subwoofer, I don't think I can find better. I also read good reviews about that system.

Upgradability is not really an issue since I plan on keeping this setting 7-10 years.

Any input would be great.

JL

note: I am using component video for DVD, so I am restricted to receivers with component input/output

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I have the NSP1 system.

If you only want this for movies it's good as is. If you like some music too then you may want to change the front two N24s to N26s. Cost a little more but not much.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
As far as the Receiver with Component Video, you don't HAVE to have this feature - you can plug the DVD directly to the TV instead.
Requiring component switching in a Receiver may be adding a premium of about $100.00 - $200.00 to the cost of the receiver. You'll also have to buy 2 sets of component cables to have it run to the receiver and TV, which will add another $50-$100.00
Doublecheck this necessity - I think your total budget would be better (IMHO) if you lowered the cost of the receiver and raised the budget for the speakers.
I haven't heard the speakers myself, so i will not put forward an opinion on their quality / sound.
Take it easy

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The NSP-1 package is great if you have a smallish room say 12' x 12' or something. If your dvd-player is your only component device you should go straight to your TV not to your receiver.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is that I am going to have 2 DVD players. Why? Because early last year I bought a codefree DVD player, which as you know plays all regions. Then the MPAA decides to come out with an additional format for region 1 DVD that will only allow region 1 players to work. Therefore, every once in a while I rent a region 1 DVD that won't play on my "codefree" player. I don't know another way to bypass this issue except get a additional region 1 DVD player. That's why I need a receiver with 2 component input/1 output.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
An AVR520 is too much receiver for the NSP1's. I'd suggest a better balance between speakers and receiver. For example, N26's or N28's up front, N24's in the rear, an N Center, sub of your choice and an AVR320. You'll have more than enough power with the 320 and not have to upgrade anything for a lot longer.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i recommend the nsp1s, without hesitation, but you will need a sub, because they are only specced to go down to 75Hz, and Phil I will come by soon with a review that has them really only getting down to 89Hz. also, i believe J&R's has the N26 bookshelf speakers (not the markII) for 140 dollars shipped, so theres that to look at.

ozric_smith

Agent
You can get a pair of N28's at half.com for 166.00 shipped.

These are brand new in a sealed box. I got a pair for my NSP1/PB10 setup and am very happy. You will need good stands tho.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
really? thats quality, they are 200 shipped at jandr. just for the record, what stands are you using? i was thinking about upgrading my mains to the n26s or n28s...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks