JBL NPS1II, Take 5.2 or Polk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rokzi, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    Help!!!!
    I'm setting up my first HT and I'm trying the get the best bang for my buck. I'm almost decided with the A/V receiver:
    Either the Denon 1803 or the HK 325 or 525.
    Most HT speaker packages are 5 or 5.1s, but I'd like to get the 6th channel (rear surround).
    I'm in the market for a home theater package and I'm trying to get one for between $500~$700 range, and maybe squeeze in the SW and a rear-center surround (6.1) in that budget.
    I have an old, low-end Polk subwoofer (PSW250 I think) so I might forego the SW for now and get something better later.
    Also, since I already have the Polk SW, I'm also considering the Polk RM6700 package. The JBL SCS150SI sounds like a deal too.
    I'll be setting them up in my 16x16 living room, 12 ft vaulted-ceiling. It's most likely that the couch will be only a few inches from the back wall (w/ 2 widows but draped). Also, the left side of the room is open / kitchen.
    I'm not quite sure as I'm really a newbie but the parameters of the room might affect what kind or type of speakers I can get.
    Take 5.1, includes S8 sw
    Take 5.2 + S8 sw: Initially, I've read and heard that these are really good ones for the $$$
    JBL NSP1ii + PB10 sw: BUT then I read somewhere that this is better than the Take's
    Polk RM6700, already have the SPW250: should I get a better sw or will this be somewhat/quite satisfying? Read some good comments from owners, but no comparison vs. the Take's or JBLs.
    JBL SCS150SI - 5.1 speaker package...: seems like a good deal... how do this compare with the others, above???
    Also, what should I get for the rear center? Most bookshelf/sats are sold in pairs so should I get another center speaker?

2. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Just setup an Axiom system paired with an Denon 1803 for my father... It sounds wonderful!
    Although we set him up with the M3ti, VP100, QS4 you may want to check out the Axiom Epic Micro as it compares *very* well with the Take 5.2 (Review). You can pick up one of these systems for less than $600 shipped from Marc at audioshop.on.ca. Regardless you may want to just give him a call as he carries both the Energy and Axiom setups and as others can attest he will give you honest opinions for your room setup.
    Just a note: I personally have the Take 5.2 system and have thoroughly enjoyed it. If you want to go with one of the systems on the list I would recommend the Take 5.2... but I know there are many people who trumpet the NSP1 as well. Unfortunately I have not heard them in a head to head comparison with the JBLs... but I did prefer them to the Polks. It was a while ago though so I don't remember the exact qualities that I felt the Polks lacked.
    Matthew

3. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Among your choices, I would recomment the JBL speakers. The Energy speakers, with their black gloss finish, look a lot nicer, but they are too small to provide decent bass. Your satellite speakers should ideally provide bass down to 80 Hz or so. Because the Energy speakers can't extend below 100 Hz, they tend to sound a bit bright, which will get to you over time. The JBL N24's extend lower, making them a much better match for subwoofers, and their treble is slightly rolled off, which helps when mating them with bright electronics. Audiophiles complain about the JBL's lacking clarity in the treble region, but their reviews neglect to emphasize two crucial elements. One: they run their tests using zillion dollar pre-amp and amps, which provide relatively "neutral" sound. So having bright speakers would not supposedly be a problem when you're powering them with Krell or Lexicon amps? But who in the hell would buy JBL N24's and mate them with a $2000 amp? I'm sure some people might, but those people have priorities that don't incorporate economies of scale. Point number 2: A lot of these renowned audiophiles are old guys with old guy hearing. Their decreased sensitivity to high frequencies offsets their listening experience. A lot of audiophiles hate subwoofers because they grew up their whole lives with no bass (or bad bass) and they don't trust subwoofers unless they're manufactured by certain companies (B&W, REL, Velodyne, etc.) plus different reviewers have "national" biases. Some like the "dark" sound of "British" speakers and some like more "forward-sounding" speakers. OK, whatever. Audiophiles are more picky about sound because they can afford to be. Speakers are their hobby, so they want to own unique models that reflect their particular tastes. Audiophile advice can be irrelevant for regular folks because audiophiles are connoisseurs. They are usually highly opinionated about what kind of sound they like and that they have speakers that perfectly suit their very individualistic (i.e. picky) tastes. Fine. More power to audiophiles for enjoying the freedom they have. Get a good-ass sub and you won't care as much which speakers you have, as long as they reach down to about 80 Hz or lower.

4. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. Have not noticed that at all.... but I have mine paired with a good sub (SVS) and have the crossover set to 110. I will say that when I first purchased them they were a little bright but after the first 10 hours or so they mellowed out tremendously and now are a complete pleasure to listen to.

I will agree with you that there are "national" prejudices. From my experiences I would say I prefer the "canadian" speakers sound.

But I agree with Phoung the JBL can be a nice way to go... Especially if you like the sound and aesthetic quality of them!

Matthew

5. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Add the Axiom Epic Micro and Epic Mini to your list. They are being phased out so shops are heavily discounting them.

6. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Daniel,

Just curious -- do you know what type of systems Axiom will be replacing the Micro and Mini with?

7. Bob Drugan

Bob Drugan Agent

I have the Aperion Audio 6.1 speaker system with the 12" 250 watt sub and couldn't be happier. The great thing about these speakers is they sound so natural and the bass is awesome. The speakers are very easy to listen to and for the $ I couldn't find anything that compared. Aperion has a 30 day return policy but after hearing these in my home they not going back. The people at Aperion were great to deal with too - I did tons of research and they answered all my questions and couldn't have been nicer. Oh yeah they even send you an owners kit plus my wife really liked the bags the speakers are wrapped in - very classy. Check them out at www.aperionaudio.com. Bob

8. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Rokzi,

Getting back to your original question. I'm just curious why you'd pick the NSP1II over the NSP1. My understanding is that the only difference is cosmetic and you can get the NSP1 for about $200 shipped.

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Here's some FR data on the NSP-1, Take 5.2, and others.
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Misc_HT_Speakers.html
    My preference would be to go with the JBL NSP-1 package but I would try to find a used sub(ebay or the hardware for /trade forum). The PB-10 is a budget sub so it has it's gonna have it's limitations. I don't feel it's of the same caliber of the NSP-1's.

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Frank Carter - posted my FREE GeoCities hosted - 'limited'* access website (*shut down for an hour or so if too many visitors) - and I'll eventually address that 'limited' access problem by moving to another robust FREE hosting website (possibly www.150m.com) when I have time in the next month or so.
    Anyway, I started posting some of those Sound&Vision Speaker Graphs** @ my Webshots albums and both NSP1's & Take 5.1 Objective Speaker Benchmarks are posted there (plus a few others).
    **All (scanned) Speaker Graphs from my subscription are shown with permission from SOUND & VISION - a trademark of Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., Inc.
    By the way, ... I recommend the JBL NSP1's [​IMG] also!!! [​IMG]
    Phil

11. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Frank,

I did just what you recommended for my daughter. NSP-1's 202.50 at Harmanaudio, NIB. I picked up a floor model Athena P2 for $180. Great package for less than $400. Nice link BTW.

Phil

12. Phil Iturralde

13. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Phil,
    I feel like I'm talking to myself [​IMG] . It's nice to have people on the forum who take the time to help as you have done with your site.
    Cheers,
    Phil

14. Phil Iturralde