1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JBL Northridge

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisEarnhardt, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ChrisEarnhardt

Hello everyone, been a while since I was last here, but hopefully you can all offer me some thoughts. I have a Harman Kardon AVR-235. The room is 12 x 20 with a 7.5 foot ceiling. I will be using the JBL E series speakers, but have not decided on the combination yet. I really think the E10's will be best for the side and rear surrounds due to their flatter physical size and profile, but what would work well for the fronts? Looked at E50, E60, E80, etc. I'm guessing the EC35 is best for the center and the 250 for the sub. If anyone can offer any thoughts for thore front left and right speakers, I'd appreciate the help or personal experiences with similar JBL E series systems.

2. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

definately go with the 35 center. I have the 25 and it's just o.k I would like to have the 35. if space is tight then the 10's are fine for surrounds but it will be noticable if you kick it up a few knotches to the 30s or 50s. I think a lot of people here are happy with the 80s as mains but the 50s will do very well aswell if you are tight for space. I would stay away from JBL subs in general, you are better off to get a couple of daytons for the price of the 250.

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I agree with PeterK on the JBL subs, I bought an e150 and have never stopped sobbing every time somebody brings up SVS or Hsu. [​IMG]

4. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Chris, your plan sounds very solid except for the JBL sub. An interesting thing to note is that while E-series subwoofers are not well suited for home theater, their lack of extension is a characteristic preferred by many for music applications. Tight and fast are terms frequently used to describe subwoofers with limited extension (typically sealed designs though). So with that in mind, the JBL sub may deserve serious consideration if it matches your usage criteria.

5. ChrisEarnhardt

Hmmm, interesting info on the sub. I was at one time looking at SVS, so I might have to look at them again. Any thoughts on which E series to use for the front mains? I'm thinking E80 or E90. E100 might break the bank.

6. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I personally have the E80's being pushed by Yamaha 5790, it sounds great. I can't see any reason to go to the E90 unless you need the extra bass, but with an SVS that shouldn't be a problem. If you decide to go with the E80's let me know, i have no room for mine at present. I got them at the end of Feb. but i'm moving to a smaller apartment this month. I still have the boxes and they were bought from an authorized dealer. Still like new, haven't had a chance to let them stretch their legs yet(i'm in grad school, so no free time). send me a PM if you're interested.

Colin

BTW, i would stay away from the E60's. They fail in comparison to the E80's and E90's in the upper and midrange IMHO.

7. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian
    I have the E80s, EC35, and four E30s for surrounds. I had the E20s first and they just didn't match well with the E80s as far as power. Plus, they are rear-ported and the E30s are front-ported making them easier to place against the wall or on their backs.

I agree with others about the E60s: they're just a little mid-tone colored and not as "bright" to my ears. Going with the E90s is only really if you need the extra bass push, but you're still not going to be setting them to LARGE with a good sub and with mains set to SMALL, I don't think there is any noticeable difference between the E80s and E90s. Now the E100s, although I have never heard them, will surely give you more bass set to LARGE, seeing as though there are two 10" woofers, twice as much as one E150, but yes, they're expensive. And I only think you'd need them if you (a) had a big, big room to fill and (b) weren't buying a decent subwoofer.

As far as the JBL subs: I had the E150 first and found it completely lacking in anything heavy or tight and it seemed to struggle and have to work too hard to find a bottom-end thick punch. To compensate, I kept cranking it to match the E80s and it was making a "cracking" sound so back it went before the 30 days. The E250, while lacking solid "punch," is quite sufficient in the room I'm using it in. Would I like an SVS or more powerful sub? Yes. Am I willing to upgrade from the E250? Not really. It isn't a great sub but it isn't a bad one either. I keeps up with the setup I've got and I really don't have any complaints with it.

8. ChrisEarnhardt

I've heard the same comments regarding the e60, so I think I'm going to lean towards the e80's.

9. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I'll second what Brian said... I have the E250P and find it quite good especially for movies. Try watching the Incredibles or Flight of the Phoenix and tell me it doesn't go low or shake the room. [​IMG] Sure it doesn't compare to an SVS but that's not a fair comparison. $249 delivered or $500+. For the price the JBL is great. IMHO it's a great sub at that price point.

10. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

Just got the Northridge series myself and like them a lot. I have a smaller room than you and went with E50s, EC25, and E10s for surrounds.

I'd recommend the EC35 center for your room (I went with the 25, works fine for me, but remember my room is smaller). The 10s are a nice little speaker and fit my room very well. But for your space, and if budget allows, think about the 20s or 30s too.

11. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I also just got the Northridge series recently, about 2 weeks ago. I got the E50's and a EC25. I'm very happy with them. The E50's can go pretty low about 45Hz, so they're good for music even without a sub.
    I'd go with an EC35 over the EC25 if I were you. I may end up getting one myself down the line.

12. ChrisEarnhardt

Ken. Thanks for your thoughts on the 250 sub. I'm thinking the same way as you in that it's not an SVS, but for $250, I can't discount it either. I've heard some great things about it, and some less than ideal opinions about it. I read somewhere on the site that someone played the movie Trinity and Beyond using the 250 and he hust about blew his home apart. Tough decisions, but that's the fun part, right?

13. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

NM

14. Tony Richardson

I've had my JBL's for about a month now and love them. I have the E50's all the way around (6)and the EC35 as the center. My room is fairly small 18'x14' and the speakers fill the room without any problems. I also have an svs sub so bass is great as well.

When playing music, I don't use the sub and the e50's go plenty low for music. Unless you like organ music that is[​IMG]

Matching speakers for all channels is unbelievable to listen to. It does make a difference, imho! Multi channel music is incrediable with these speakers.

I would recommend this setup to anyone. It's great sounding and fairly cheap if you buy online.

Tony

15. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I don't currently have/need a sub, and I find that the E50s do quite well for 2-channel music, which is my preference anyway.

16. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

That is good to know... I was thinking E20's to match the 5" driver on the center with the surrounds... and then jsut have some big mains...

17. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Don't worry too much about matching driver size. The whole northridge line should match no matter the combination. [​IMG]

18. DerekCV

i hear that all the time... then why do they make so many different models!

19. John S

John S Producer

Why do they make so many e series? Or why do they make so many different lines?

I mean, pretty much every speaker in the e line, would have a definet use / preference for somebody.

20. DerekCV

so many E-series... E10-E100, when most people say that most of them sound good and they all work with each other....