What's new

JBL Northridge Set-up (1 Viewer)

Billy K

Auditioning
Hey everyone, I have been researching putting together my first HT system. Recently purchased an Onkyo 501 reciever. I have two older JBL front loudspeakers that I will be using as the front L/R. Since I already have the JBL fronts, I decided on going with the JBL Northridge series for the rest of the speakers. Have decided on EC-35 center and 250P 12" sub. I am basically left to decide between two different choices for rear channels, going with either the e10 or e20's. On JBL's website, both are said to be excellent choices for rear channels. The differences are the e10's have a 4" driver and the e20's have a 5" driver. Also, the e20's are really bookshelf speakers where the e10's are designed to be wall mounted and have angled baffles with ports on the sides, guess it's supposed to disperse sound more. I will not be wall mounting so this really doesnt matter to me. The only place I could demo these speakers was Best Buy and I couldn't really hear much of the rears. Does anyone have any input on these rears. I think I am leaning toward the E10s just cause they are a bit cheaper. Any reason why i would want the e20's over the e10's? Should I take anything else into consideration before I buy? Also, I am interested in a rear center as well. How are most of you guys using them, wall mounted?? Put a shelf on the wall?? Any ideas on a good rear center to compliment this set-up?

Thanks!!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The E10s are terrific rear speakers, and look good in the process. Sound & Vision recently gave them a very nice review in the context of an entire Northridge E rig.

From personal experience, the E10s are very nice, and look good with the cherry finish. Don't know how they stack up against the E20s as rears, but they are intended for that application.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
If you're not gonna hang them on the wall then I'd go with the E20's. The E10's are designed to be wall hung. They're much wider than they are deep and to me would not look right on a speaker stand. I'm currently using the E10's and have been very impressed. They are very nice surround sound speakers. Have you actually had a chance to listen to and look at each model? If not for sure look at them first.

Billy K

Auditioning
Thanks for the input guys. I will not be wall mounting the rears or using stands. I have two end tables on either side of the couch they will be sitting on. Anyone out there using E20's as rears??

Billy K

Auditioning
No one is using e20's as rears?? How about a rear center channel. I was thinking the JBL ec25 would be a good match but that thing is pretty big. What would be the best way to mount on the wall beind the couch? Do most of you guys use a shelf or are there any decent rear centers that will wall mount.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Billy - the JBL E-Series is relatively new, so the response will probably be limited.

I can tell you that if HT is your priority, then I would recommend at the very least using IDENTICAL speakers @ the Fronts & Surround locations around you.

It's no mystery why IDENTICAL speakers all-around would enhanced the 100% seamless surround Blockbuster DVD Movie experience, ... it's based on Dolby Labs 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines:

Mine are approx. 5'- 1 1/2" apart (tweeter to tweeter), ... also see my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room overhead view w/speaker dispersion patterns.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Using the EC25 as a rear center would most likely be a little overkill since very little is gonna be happening in that channel in most movie tracks. I'd use the same speaker that you decide on for you surrounds be it the E20's or E10's. The E10's are only available in pairs I'm not sure on the E20's.

Billy K

Auditioning
Thanks for your responses, great information guys! I was kinda thinking the same thing about the ec25 in the rear, kinda expensive for just rear effects. I like the idea of running another set of e20's for the rear center. What's the difference between series and parrallel again (been a while since HS electronics class). How do you run them in series (run wire from reciever to one speaker, then from one speaker to the other)?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

You've got it!!!

1) Yamaha 6.1 Speaker + (P) > TO > Left RC/SPKR + (P)

2) Left RC/SPKR - (N) > TO > Right RC/SPKR + (P)

3) Right RC/SPKR - (N) > TO > Yamaha 6.1 Speaker - (N)

Phil

Gerald Wise

Auditioning
quote "Anyone out there using E20's as rears?? "

I am using the E20's as my rears along with the EC35,E100's and E150p and am very pleased with the results. The E20's were an easy choice for me as my room layout leaves very few places to mount the E10's on the wall and would have forced me to arrange the room a certain way. I'm powering these with a Denon 3803 and find they mix well.

Billy K

Auditioning
Thanks for all the info guys. Just ordered my JBL's and decided on the e20's as rears channels. Still deciding on what to use for the rear center. Is there an advantage to running two speakers as your rear center (run in series) as oppossed to just one speaker? Is there any reason other than it's hard to find just one speaker and not a pair? My reciever puts out 65 wpc and if I run them in series, does that mean each is only getting about 32 watts each?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks