JBL Northridge series

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JuanNarvaez, Jan 18, 2005.

1. JuanNarvaez

JuanNarvaez Agent

Has anybody heard of the JBL Northrigde series. They are sold as a 5.1 package which runs about $350 for the center and satellites. Any help?

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    If you do a search you will find lots of information on the Northridge series of speakers.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I have the northridge E250p Sub. I got it from JR.com shipped for 230. If you have any questions let me know!

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Not sure what you are talking about for $350, but I just bought a pair of Northridge E80 mains and an EC35 center for $500 total and absolutely LUV them. Hard to bheat at that price.
    What did it for me was the strong 3-way Ec35 center. Was looking @ Athena's in roughly the same price range, but their center is weak in comparison and 99% of my use is for HT with 15 or less for music.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

P.S. Center and satellites are not a 5.1 package.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Yes - that model is the JBL NSP1's.
    [​IMG]

They are now discontinued but are still highly regarded by consumer and product reviewers.

It was one of the only speakers, with a 4" woofer/mid that actually benched-marked to have usable low frequency down to 89 Hz (Front & Surround locations**!!!)!!! It's benchmark outperformed similarly price and more expensive competition.

**From the JAN '01 Sound & Vision Magazine - Objective Results by Tom Nousaine (using his HT Speaker testing standards):
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right..... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center.................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround............. 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

The above results just confirms all the positive subjective reviews - see my "Why you should add JBL Speakers "N", "S" & "E"-Series to your audition list!" for more INFO w/review links.

Phil

7. Justin Friedman

Ah, Phil, was waiting for you to chime in on this : ) Hehe...while we have you here, I was wondering if you could give me some advice, seeing that you're the resident JBL expert : P About a year ago I bought a pioneer 45tx from a forum member and also got a sweet deal on the NSP1s ($180 from buy.com after rebate!) I know my receiver is definitely overkill for these speakers but I couldn't pass up that deal after hearing so much about them : ) When I can afford it I can't wait to step up to some Paradigms but for now I'm looking for a pair of new JBLs from the updated Northridge series ie the ones that begin with E now instead of N so I can have a 7.1 setup. Can you suggest a pair of floorstanding speakers from this line that would compliment the NSP1s without overpowering them? I don't need anything spectacular (that will come in about ayear when i get my Paradigms, Im so glad I bought such a futureproof receiver), just something that best compliments the NSP1s in said setup : ) As an aside, know of any specific adjustable height speaker stands I can use for the NSP1s? Kinda using a makeshift system now but Id like to get something that can accomodate the NSP1s right out of the box without any modding because I plan on moving these speakers to my bedroom once I get the Paradigms in a year or so. I heard the Omnimount RB-1s can but Ive never received a definitive answer to that and they are kinda expensive and hard to find regardless. Again, don't need anything super stylish or expensive, just whatever will work for the least money : ) So if you have the answers to these two questions Id love to know, lol! Thanks!

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Justin - sent you PM!

Phil

9. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Justin, I own the E80's and luv them. I wasn' too ho on the E60's, but REALLY like dthe E90's in addition to E80's. I think the E80's would fit the bill nicely for you. I also reco the EC35 center as it goes VERY well with the E80's. I really like my setup. Will like it even more when I get the Pio 1015tx when it comes out.