JBL Northridge Series Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by GlenW, Jan 27, 2004.

1. GlenW

GlenW Auditioning

I am looking at putting together a system of a Yamaha RX-V740 receiver with some JBL Northridge speakers, the most likely choice being E80's for the fronts, EC25 for the center and E30 for the surround. Or may go for the E10 or E20 and get another EC25 for the rear center. I am not looking at getting a sub at this stage to keep the cost down.

I would like some comments on the speaker choice that I am looking at for a 50/50 mixture of music and movies. Any comments on the combination with this receiver? The room size is about 9m * 4.5m (27 ft * 14 ft).

The reason I am going for the JBL is I have had some feed back that the JBL has a lot of bass so this means I can get away with out a sub for a while. Also where I am located (northern Spain) I can not seem to find a huge range of speakers to choose from, JBL, Jamo, Canton or Infinity. Another choice which has been recommended to me a couple of times and is a bit cheaper is to go for the Infinity Oreus speaker system including Sub. Any comments on this system with the Yamaha receiver?

I will be buying unheard over the web so I rely on the feedback here to help get the right combination. Just in case budget is asked I am well over what I started as a budget.

2. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Buy your receiver and DVD player first.

Now, go to your local Best Buy and pick up most if not all of these speakers and bring them home for an audition.

Take back the ones you don't like, or take them all back if you find a better deal somewhere else. Its really hard to know how well you will like each model until you spend a few days playing music and movies you prefer.

In October of 2003 I put together a HT system with four JBL N24's, an N-Center and a Dayton Sub. Although I liked the setup very much I found I wanted more.

I tried upgrading the mains with N28's then N38's but ended up sending them back. I just finished selling the N24's and N-Center on Ebay (at a small profit) and upgraded everything to JBL's studio series with four S26II's and an S-Center.

By the time I started ordering speakers, there was no where to hear them locally so I bought them based on what I read. Although my first setup was great for the money, if I could have brought several models home for an audition I probably could have saved a bit on shipping for speakers I returned. (Actually since all my Studio Series was on clearance I probably came out fine).

Since your buying current JBL models do your self a favor and bring some home even if you keep none of them. Start playing with models below your max price range and work up. Stop when you find the price/performance combination that works for you.

3. GlenW

GlenW Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I will be ordering over the web and will make sure I can do returns and accept transport costs. I wish I had started this six months ago when I lived in Pittsburgh and then I could have just nipped down to the best buy store, but now in Northern Spain I can not.

Any advise on the matching of the power level of the amp with that of the speakers?

Also how do I go with not having a sub for a while. I understand that the receiver cuts the lower frequencies and sends them to the sub woofer, if I dont have a sub can I stop this and let it go to the speakers so I get some bass?

Thanks

Glen

4. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Glen:

Sorry, didn't realize where you were.

The N38II mains, N24II surrounds and N-CenterII I had will sound simular to the E-Series as I believe they all use the same 3/4" Titanium Laminate tweeter.

You just set the speakers for "Large" instead of "Small" in the receiver and it sends the full range to your speakers. This shouldn't be a problem for any decent sized speaker. My S26II's work fine this way, but I have them set for small since I have a Sub.

I tried an HK AVR-125 that had 45 watts per channel and it had plenty of power to drive the five speakers. HK's are conservatively rated however so this could be more like 65 watts or more from other manufacturers.

I ended up returning it to CC and ordered a factory refurbed 55 watt AVR-225 from Soundcity.com for $240 shipped. PCmall.com has AVR-325's for $379, its 65watts and does 6.1. I bet it would compare just fine with the Yamaha you listed at least in terms of power.

If your not firm on floor standers for mains, Onecall.com still has Studio Series S26II pairs for $140 plus ship. These put out a surprising amount of bass when set to large. The Studio Series is also a step up from the Northbridge IMO.

The hardest Studio Series to find right now is the S-Center (I or II won't matter), they are on eBay and if your patient you can get one for $150. There are some folks on HTF who have them also. (Thats where I got mine)

I wanted the N38's for a bit more bass and so I wouldn't have to get stands. In reality they were too short for the tweeters to be at ear level and the bass difference wasn't as much as you would think.

I ended up with some Sanus "Steel Foundatiion" SF22b's and the S26II tweeters ended up at the perfect height for me, and I love the look.

The JBL N-Series are great speakers so I'm sure the E-Series are as well but I liked the look, build quality and sound of the Studio Series better.

Looking at OneCall.com they have the S310II's on clearance for $168 each. If you went with either four S26II's or two and the S310II's and an S-Center you would save more than enough over the prices I see on the E-Series you listed to get a subwoofer.

The Dayton 10" 100w sub I'm using is $125 plus ship but using the S310II's you could do without one or add something like the Dayton or even better an SVS later.

Not sure how much more shipping to Spain would cost but with the Clearance prices on the S-Series I would at least take a look.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.