JBL Northridge Series Questions/Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy_Watson, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I have all but decided on buying the JBL PB12 sub and using the N-center and N24's for the surround (just going with 5.1 for now). However, do you think it is worth it to upgrade the fronts (buy all separate instead of NSP package) to the N28's or N38's? From research online it seems they can be had for decent prices, but the jump is going to be more severe because the NSP package can be had for very cheap nowadays. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 and the reason I would like larger mains (besides the improved frequency range) is that they can go louder and, I know this is a somewhat dumb reason to upgrade, they look much more impressive.
    So I guess this boils down to 2 questions:
    1. Would the larger mains sound much better for 2-channel music if I don't get an external amp (the N24s are rated to 100 W as is the receiver)?
    2. Do you think it is worth the extra $200 (not huge, but a large difference between $500 and $700 for me)?

Also, and suggestions for cheap dealers besides J&R, etronics and Yahoo shopping?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

If you listen to 2 channel music often, I'd think the N38's would suit you well. While it's nice to have the same speakers all the way around for movies, the front's usually get more sound (volume) than the rear. Also, it would be able to handle louder volumes with less distortion.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I agree about the N38s. Just picked up a pair and love 'em.

-AM

4. Jeremy_Watson

Actually, I decided to upgrade in a different way and use N28s all around. These should be a considerable upgrade over the N24s, will sound more cohesive for HT use, and don't cost an arm and a leg to ship like the N38s do. They are all in the mail and I should set it up and begin smiling wider this weekend. Thanks for the advie, though, guys.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Jeremy,

I've been considering a similar upgrade. Let me know how it all turns out.

6. Jeremy_Watson

Todd,
    Will do. This is my first HT system but once I get it set up I was planning on posting a mini-review on the receiver and speaker set-up.