JBL NORTHRIDGE Series made in CHINA?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Burki, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Burki

Burki Agent

Do these series made in china? Do they sound good or bad?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

China is becoming a world-dominating manufacturing market. The weekly wage is about $20 US. Someone told me that 70% of the worlds construction cranes are currently in China building plants and office buildings.

While years ago China was a source of poor-quality goods. Not anymore. They have year-2000 technology & process control of US and European companies, and slave-labor wages of a third-world country.

The Northridge series is considered quite good.

3. Mike_Z

Mike_Z Auditioning

I have the JBL Northridge series and think they sound quite good in a smaller room. I have the 5 piece set now set up in my bedroom (12' x 15')with the Polk PS450 series subwoofer. Nice overall sound. Had them in my living room initially but I would not reccomend them for a large room.

Overall, I would give them an A-.

4. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

If you want to use the Northridge series in a large room, get the 310's or 312 towers. I have the 310's in a 14'x26' dedicated home theater and they sound great.And by the way,they are made in the U.S.A,not China. Check the label near the bottom on the back of the speaker cabinet.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You're talking about the 310 from the Studio series correct? I just got an S-Center and a pair of S36's for surrounds. Both are Made in Taiwan. My S-Center apparently doesn't have magnetic sheilding as it causes discoloration in the upper screen as soon as I set it on top of the TV. I'm going to exchange it and hopefully the new one will be alright. I love the sound out of it though. Much better sound than my old cheap center channel, but at least the old center was magnetically sheilded.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

So are the Wharfedale Diamond series and the later NHT SuperOnes. So are some of the Athena speakers.

And Burki, the Tannoy MX series that used to be made in Hungary? They are now made in Taiwan in a state of the art factory. Stereophile profiled the factory a while back.

It really doesn't matter where the speakers ar from as long as they sound good.

Off-topic....as for the cranes, China shipped several shipping cranes on a barge over here to the Port of Oakland, one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast. They are so tall that they have to wait until low tide and very little wind in order to "squeeze" them underneath the Golden Gate Bridge (with about 5 feet to spare) as they enter the San Francisco Bay.

7. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

No,I mean the ND310's. The Northridge Series, not the Studio Series. I got them about 3 years ago.

8. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit