JBL Northridge or B&W 600 S3

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Max_Fuhlendorf, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Max_Fuhlendorf

Max_Fuhlendorf Auditioning

Hello.

This is my first post in this forum.

Since there are so many experts here, I thought I'd ask:

I live in Brazil, and there aren't many places to audition speakers of quality; I will probably buy online, and I'm between two choices (for my mains, which I want to upgrade from the current B&W DM302's):

JBL Northridge E90 (or E80) and B&W DM 602 S3.

They are sold here with a similar price, and while I know the B&Ws will be ultimately more expensive (new speaker stands), I'm willing to pay a little more if the sound is much better.

Of the new E Northridge series I'm hearing lots of good opinions on various net forums, but there are few actual reviews of them.

My system is driven by a Yamaha RX-V995 5x100w RMS.

Thank you very much,

2. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

I would go with the JBLs because one they will be cheaper, two you have a good receiver to complement the power, and third b/c i have demoed the JBLs and i think they sound wonderful for their price. Hope this helps

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I may be wrong but I think the extra you'd pay for speaker stands would be made up for in shipping. The E90's are floorstanders while the 602's are bookshelves. I think a big part of your choice is going to be how they look. Do you prefer bookshelves over floorstanders or vice versa? I've heard both and liked both, but they are certainly different speakers. I think I would be inclined to go with the 602's, but that's just me.

Also, if you can't audition either of them it seems to me that the 602's would be the best choice since you already own B&W's (assuming you like the ones you have).

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I'd have to say I'd recommend the B&Ws, yes they are going to be a little more, but if you were (decently) happy with the 300 series, you'll be much happier with the 600s. There's a big step up there, plus you already know the type of sound you'll get from them. I think the DM602 S3s are about some of the best priced and sounding bookshelf speakers out there!

6. Max_Fuhlendorf

Max_Fuhlendorf Auditioning

Thank you for the answers.

I am inclined to try my luck on the B&W 602s.

The factor that is still bothering me is this one: I haven't got a subwoofer and can't buy one now. The JBL E100s and E90s are three way floorstanders with enormous woofers. but their rated frequency response is close to the B&W's on paper.

Anyway, I also use as surrounds a pair of JBL N26s; I don't like their sound half as much as I like the DM302s, but they do have a better, less strained bass response. The 302s are specified at 72Hz-20kHz -3dB only.

And it isn't fair to judge the JBL E series by this N26 bookshelf, I believe. Do any of you know if they sound very similar?

Thanks,

[​IMG]

PS: Sorry for my poor english!