JBL Northridge N26's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dustin Wind, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I just upgraded all my componets to the following, EXCEPT my speakers.....there about 2 years old.
    I'm just wondering what people thought of the JBL Northridge N26's?
    Are they worth keeping around or should i upgrade them also to get the full potential of the rest of my system?

Pioneer 563A
    Yamaha HTR - 5650
    65inch WS HD Toshiba 57HX83
    and about $1500 in wiring/cables.

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i use them as mains myself. i like the sound a lot, though i dont have much to compare them to as i am young (both in age and with respect to how long i have been doing home theater).

do you have N26s all around, or just two main speakers? if all you have are N26 mains i would suggest getting the nsp1 system . that way you get the center and surrounds. plus its fairly cheap these days. also if you dont have a sub, perhaps you should look into one of those instead.

especially for movies, i think the n26s are fine.

3. Dustin Wind

Actually i didn't even look.

The front left and right are 26's.
    The backs are 24's
    The center is called a "n-center"

I also have a yahmaha sub.

they were a present, so i have no idea if there great speakers or if its time for a upgrade.

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Everything looks good except...the Yamaha sub. Which I would unpgrade with a SVS. [​IMG]

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i also agree, especially for movies you should be fine. the sub is the weak spot for you at the moment.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The N series of JBL represent a pretty good line of speakers that shile could be improved upon, I am not sure the expense would be worth it. For HT, the center is the most important, closely followed by the sub. Improve your sub, setup your speakers properly and you will be set.

Some of us upgrade far too often just to check out that new stuff and although we may not admit it, we seldom see much improvement in the speakers themselves. Tweaking equipment, placement and the room may give you more than spending a bunch of money trying to gain something. But I would consider a sub....

7. Dustin Wind

So Yamaha makes crappy subs?
    I'm pretty new to all this.

What if i got a JBL PB10 Powered 10" Subwoofers, would it make a big diffrence?

Thanks guys.

I thought my sub sounded really good, but if i can make it sound better, i'm really excited [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help!

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

No, the Yamaha sub isn't crap... it is just made to do what it does.... add a little low end to your system and they usually do ok til the upgrade bug bites.
    On the JBL subs.... they do represent a good value and I have several friends with the 10 or 12 who never had a problem and still enjoy the heck outta them. It is all according to what kind of sound pressure you want around you..... but watch out......that can get addictive...LOL

If you're close to a Best Buy, buy one ( although it is HIGH there) and try it out. If it fits your need, return it and then find one on the net MUCH cheaper. Most of the net dealers such as SVS also have try and return policies although I would be willing to bet that not many SVS get returned...