JBL Northridge N24II vs. E20s for surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Pus Suchre, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

I bought a pair of N24IIs off of e-bay for $68- in truth I wasn't expecting to win them. I decided to use them as my rear surrounds- they are easy to mount and don't take up much room- which are both pluses.

I still need to get my regular side surrounds (for 5.1)- and I was leaning towards the better E20s. The E20s will be more difficult to mount on the wall- and will take up more space in a somewhat tight room- 9'10" wide.

The real issue is space. If I had my choice I would use the E50s for all 4 surrounds- but no way would they fit.

So the question is:
    Am I better off matching the side with the rear surrounds and buy another pair of N24IIs?
    + easy to mount
    + sounds decent
    + takes up little space
    + pretty freaking cheap
    + would be an exact match with what I already have

Or should I go with the E20s
    - more difficult to mount
    - takes up more space
    - not as cheap
    - doesn't match my rear surrounds
    ++ should sound better

Hmmmm, the real question may be does the E20 sound that much better than the N24IIs? I have nowhere to demo the difference- so your thoughts are appreciated.

If it matters, my fronts are E100s, with an EC35 center and an SV20-39PCi sub.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

-Pus

2. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the E10's myself. I've got E90's, EC35 and 4 E10's paired w/ a E250P sub and couldn't be happier. The E10's are great little speakers and are made to be wall mounted.

3. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator

I second the E10 recommendation. The E20s are rear ported so you can't put them with their back to a wall either.

I have 4 E50s as surrounds and they are awesome. However I had the room and they are dual front ported.

4. Pus Suchre

I'll just bet those e50s rock [​IMG]

Thanks guys for the E10 recommendation. I didn't know that the E20s are rear ported. That sure would have been a mistake [​IMG]

The E10s it is!

-Pus

5. Fred_Krampits

Pus:

Check out this online store: www.jr.com

They are having a sale on JBLs and they have free shipping. I bought my 2 E100 fronts there. They are also a authorized online dealer for JBL. E10's are $99.88 there vs $198.00 list, 1/2 off is pretty decent! [​IMG]

6. Pus Suchre

Thanks Fred- that is the cheapest I've seen. I think I'll put my order in tomorrow!

Thanks again!

-Pus

7. Fred_Krampits

I had a corporate discount from my company with Harman Kardon and I bought most of my 7.1 setup using it. However a guy at another forum turned me on to jr.com and they had the same price, however when you put free shipping into it with no sales tax. I saved over $100 on my E100s buying them there. $299.00 Delivered per speaker!

How do you like you E100s? Mine have made me fall back in love with 2 channel stereo again!

I also have the EC35 center and I have the E250P sub and the 4 E50s to complete my 7.1 setup. These E series have got to be the best deal, $ for $ in the business!

8. Pus Suchre

I pretty much love my 100s. When I first decided to buy a home theater- I was looking at the Home Theater in a Box stuff. Then I started reading this forum- and I decided I would piece one together. I started off wanting E60s for the mains- but I gradually decided to go for the gusto and get the 100s. I'm very happy with them. I'm looking forward to finishing out the speakers with the surrounds. I have this awesome front end- but I need to finish it up. Unfortunately my receiver is in the shop. Pretty soon I hope it will all fall in to place.

I can just imagine what you have cooking with the E50s [​IMG] How big is your room? Do you have your E50s on stands, or did you mount them?

9. Fred_Krampits

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi powering the setup. My room is around 40ft wide X 16ft deep, on the right side it opens into a dining room on the last 12ft of the width.

I have 2 E50s on each side of the couch against the wall and the 2 E50 side surround one on a side on the loveseat, the other on the side of recliner. It's not the perfect setup, they are just on the floor next to the furniture. However when I ran the MCACC calibration I had the mic setup at ear level so the volume was set so we can hear all of the surrounds.

I may eventually re-arrange my furniture so that I can put the rear surrounds behind the viewing area. For now this does work though. [​IMG]

10. Pus Suchre

Wow, you have a pretty open space that you are filling. Sounds like the E50s fit the bill nicely.

My room is 9 1/2" wide by 23" long. I have just enough width to put two 3-person sofas facing front- one sofa behind the other.

The E100s are probably overkill for the room- but that's okay. [​IMG]

Hmmmm.....now you have me seriously lusting for some E50s. I wonder how difficult they would be to mount on the walls......

All of my fun WAS powered by an HK AVR 7200. Hopefully this weekend it will be repaired. If not, I will be seriously sad....

11. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Fred.....

I went ahead & bit the bullet today.

Ordered the E50s & EC35 last night, & the E100s today..[​IMG]

12. Pus Suchre

Cam you salty dog [​IMG] You are going to give the UPS guy a hernia [​IMG] How are you mounting your E50s? I'm curious as to how practical it is to mount them to the wall.

Did you get your replacement AVR?

-Pus

13. Fred_Krampits

Both of you guys are gonna have great sounding systems. Too bad about the HK7200s for both of you guys. [​IMG]

14. Cam McFarland

Heck if I know, had not really thought about it yet, lol.

All the "bookshelf" wall mounts I have ever seen only hold 8-10 lbs.

Could always mount an actual shelf about 16-18" long (studs)...[​IMG]

15. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have S38's and don't see how you can mount them. You can place them on wall mounted shelves but you better have them secured to a wall stud! I made stands for mine. They are about 12" tall and angled so the speakers are pointing up about 20 degrees.

I am using the EC35 center and it may not have the size mid and tweeter as the S Center, but I would take it on the build quality alone. I could hear and feel alot of resonance from the composite cabinet of the N center. With the EC35 the speaker cabinet makes a world of difference.

Deal-Stop has some great deals on JBL speakers. Definately one of best values. The MSRP of my JBL set-up is $1500(not including any shipping or tax). Through some selective shopping, I paid $635 which includes shipping.

16. Cam McFarland

I paid a "slight" premium (shipping)on the E100s so as to not have to wait because nobody that shipped free had the Cherry finish in stock, and nobody expected to get any in soon, so......E100s, E50s, EC35....$1151.00.

17. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered the E20s to use as surround speakers but I was planning on using a speaker wall mount like these to mount them to a wall.

It looks like the speakers will be about 3-4 inches from the wall using these brackets. Also, the speakers will be angled to the side about 45 degrees so the port will not be directly facing the wall.

I'm wondering what are the disadvantages of having a speaker with a rear port mounted to a wall with a speaker wall mount as I described?

(Oh, I also ordered the E30s to use as my mains and the EC35 for the center. Totalled $469 with no shipping from J and R. Can't wait for everything to come!)

Thanks,
    Rob

18. Fred_Krampits

Rob:

From the looks of the brackets and the way you are going to face them it should not be a problem.

The bracket can hold 8 lbs, the speaker is 7 lbs. You should be okay.

19. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

So is the real problem just if you want to mount them directly to the wall? So that there is NO space between the back of the speaker and the wall?

Thanks again,
    Rob

20. Fred_Krampits

Rob:

Exactly with no or little space the port won't be able to breathe and you will get a muffled sound I presume.