JBL Northridge and Studio Series

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nathan Bjork, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I recentley bought a pair of JBL N26II's for my HT mains, with the idea of moving them to my surounds once I got my S38II's. Well I just got my S38II's today and hooked everything up and it sounds great with my S-CenterII, S38II (mains), and the N26II's for the surounds, Sony WM500 sub. So I have a 5.1 setup and my AVR has 6.1 (and a 7.1 w/ daul mono for rears). And I was wondering if The N24II's would be a good choice to setup as my suround backs? Or should I just forget the SB's because my bed room is very small (10wx10d). And one more question... does having the studios and the northridge series in one setup going to make much of a differnce (because they are differnt series)?

BTW The S38II's are great speakers, I dont need a sub when listening to music, and they hit the vocals as good as my S-Center. Well thats probly cause I have such a small room.

2. Charlie B. Ch.

Charlie B. Ch. Stunt Coordinator

Many people have mixed S and N series and have reported positive result. I went from S38ii, S Center II, and 2 pairs of S26 to S38II all around. The reason? The S38II are so great (to me at least) that the S26 integration did not sound "seamless" (again, to me at least). If you can find the room for 3 or 4 more S38, get them before they are gone.

3. Nathan Bjork

Thanks alot! I would like to get some more S38II's (considering they are $230 pr) but I had alot of trouble geting the N26's in my room.

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Nathan: For a room that small I'm wondering if you would need them. But, anyway, I was using the N24II's as my rears before I upgraded to a pair of S36II's. The N24II's are a great little speakers but they were just not "seamless" enough for me for music playback (DVD-A/SACD). But, strictly for HT use, I bet a lot of people would not be able to tell the difference.

My setup:
    Toshiba 35"
    harman/kardon AVR 525
    Denon DVD-2900
    JBL S310-II's
    JBL S-Center II
    JBL S36-II's(rears)
    Velodyne CHT-12(sub)
    23'x18'x14' (LxWxH)

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I have a similar set up as John (see my sig), and was planning to use S38IIs for the surrounds and surround back but they were just too big. I opted for the S36IIs and they are awesome, just extremely hard to find right now.

Nathan, if I were you, I'd get rid of the N-series surround speakers and replace them all with Studio series, especially considering how cheap the Studio series are these days. You'll find that they will timbre match much better with your fronts, and it'll be much more seamless when sound pans from the front to the back.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

[​IMG] You are correct sir!

7. Nathan Bjork

Thanks everyone, I was looking at the S26's and they are a little bit smaller than the N26's, so I might get a pair of those for my b-day.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Nathan: personally I would totally blow off trying to use a 6.1 or 7.1 set-up in such a small room. And does your listening position possibly consist of your head against the rear wall with the TV in front of you? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk--I recently had to move and am presently stuck in such a room. It is totally useless as far as allowing any decent surround effects--movies & music--and I finally disassembled the surround portion of my rig and it's now sitting in the closet (including my Pioneer DV-656A; until dvd-audio comes out of hibernation that's where it will remain [​IMG] ). Also, having my head plunked in between my two rear channels caused sort of an irritating claustrophobic effect.

Sorry folks but I think for the majority of movie fans, this proliferation of channels for HT is bordering on the cartoonish. Having up to seven speakers hung all over a room to supply sound to an image waaaaaay smaller than the sound field it goes with just isn't realistic to me. Rear channels for me are there simply to supply some supplementary sound effects and not to dominate everything else.

Theaters with three story tall screens are one thing but homes with a dinky 55" screen are a whole other story with me.

LJ

9. Nathan Bjork

Yea, im right up against my wall with the tv on the other side. The surrounds are aprox, 15 ft apart w/ me in the middle. Then to 10feet to my center and mains. Main are 8ft apart. The sound is amazing, compared to my friends living room witch is about 20x15. I have heard that SB speakers are worthless in a small room so i wont bother with them, I'll just invest in some more cables.