JBL ND310ii

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Colin+M, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I just received one of these huge towers(the other one is coming tomm) and compared to my E80's these sound dead on the top end. Does any one have any experience with these speakers? I am thinking that my tweeter is not working because i can put my ear right next to it and it doesn't sound like anything is coming out of it. I have it and one E80 hooked up as my mains, and the E80 just kills it on clarity and highs. I am hoping that its the tweeter thats not working because at least it can be fixed. These two speakers both have the same model tweeter, shouldn't they sound pretty close?

Thanks for any help you can provide in advance

JBL Phil feel free to chime in[​IMG]

2. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I have the older version (Not the ii) and they sound great. You should defenatly hear sound from the tweeter. Sounds like a problem there.

They will have more bass output then the 8's so it may seem like they have less high end. But it shouldnt be the way your describing them.

3. Colin+M

I took it apart, and the tweeter is DEAD. What to do now?

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hey Colin+M, you should definitly hear sound if they are operating.

Were they bought NEW or Used??

If NEW ...
    It's possible that they are defective or during transport, something disconnected!?!? Before opening them up, contact JBL Customer Service for instructions and/or to have them replaced.

Phil

5. Colin+M

Well the other one arrived and its the same ordeal, no sound out of the tweeter[​IMG]

Do you guys think its the tweeter or the crossover? Its at 5000k but that shouldn't eliminate the tweeter altogether. At this point you could unplug the tweeter and never hear a difference. I bought these off Videogon and the guy claims he didn't notice them not working when he had them. they were bought from best buy, so they are still under warranty. I just would like to know why neither of them work. I would think it was my receiver, but my E80's sound great and these sound flat and muffled, NOTHING out of the tweeter.

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Colin,

Sounds like he (original owner) probably fried the tweet. Maybe pushing them too hard without enough power? Clipping from his receiver cooked the tweet?

They should have very decent highs. Get Best Buy to replace them and if that fails go back to the seller for "financial support."

You can order them directly from Harman Audio but hopefully BB kicks in with the warranty.

7. Mark--M

Thats almost defenatly what happened. I'm doubtful the crossover is a problem but if you want to be absoloutly sure, connect the tweeter to the reciever direct and see if you get sound. Just dont crank the volume too high while testing it.

8. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

9. Mark--M

Wow I just had a look at that site and the components for mine (ND310) are WAY more expnsive then the (ND310ii). Is this just because mine are discontinued or did the quality go down with the new series?

What type of tweeters are in ND310ii? The specs on mine say its the exact same as whats in my N24 surrounds, they call it a 3/4 titainium laminate tweeter. But my ND310s have a soft dome tweeter and the surrounds have a metalic dome tweeter? Anybody know whats up with that?

10. Phil Iturralde

Sounds like someone replaced them with another type of tweeter since the ...
    NORTHRIDGE SERIES – ND310
    3-Way, 10" 250 Watt, Black Ash Floorstanding Speaker
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    General Section
    • Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 Watts
    • Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 91dB
    • Frequency Response (–3dB): 37Hz – 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency: 1000Hz, 5000Hz
    High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide
    • Midrange Driver: 4" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Low-Frequency Driver: Dual 10" PolyPlas™ cones
    • Dimensions
    (H x W x D): 42" x 14-1/2" x 12-1/2"
    (1067mm x 368mm x 318 mm)
    • Weight: 55 lb (25kg.)

Did you get them used???

Phil

11. Mark--M

Phil, I did get them used. But the tweeters really look origional. The color of the polymer matches the woofer/midrange perfectly. This is kinda interesting, if i removed them would there be a part number on them that i can check with someplace online?

Is a soft dome tweeter any better/worse?

12. Phil Iturralde

13. Mark--M

Phil, i just pulled the tweeter out. Its part number 335476-001 which is exactly whats on JBL's site. And its defenatly a different dome then my N-24's. The 24's have a shiny metal dome like you describe, but the 310's have a soft dome tweeter thats the exact same color as the rest of the drivers??

Seems strange to me. Colin, what are yours like?

14. Colin+M

Mine are shiny like the ones in my E80s.

15. Mark--M

Man thats weird. I might call JBL tomorrow and ask them about it.

16. Phil Iturralde

Since the #'s are the same, ... maybe it's a painted Titanium dome just to match the other driver's?!?!?!?

What makes you think its soft dome, tweeter???

Phil

17. Mark--M

Well, if you lighly touch it, it feels much softer. Like if you touch the dome of the N24 if feels firm and if you were to press on it, it would probably just dent in and stay that way. But the ND310's are defenatly soft to the touch. The dome moves a little when you touch it and just takes its origional shape again after.

The 310's sound much more impressive then the 24's in all areas too. I just assumed they put a crappy tweeter in the smaller models of the series for cost reasons. I wish I knew what was going on with this. Makes no sense? [​IMG]

If I posted some pics would it help?

18. Phil Iturralde

OK.

If the part number matches JBL's list, then it's possible that it's Titanium.

Can't explain why they feel different, but based on their official design statement, the entire line uses their JBL ¾-inch titanium-laminate tweeter w/EOS waveguide.

If your DVD sound effects, like sound that pans across the fronts (LF to C to RF & visa-versa) and it sounds seamless with your N-Center, it's probably Titanium.

If you play any DVD w/360-degree effects (i.e. Dragonheart - old knight's code), and if it sounds seamless with your N24's, while it circles around you, then it's Titanium but colored to match the other speakers.

Posting a picture is a good idea for those following this thread.

If you want, you can contact JBL for more INFO.

Phil

19. Mark--M

I took some pics but this site wont let me post anything linking to an outside website until I reach 15 posts (I have 18 now??!). What a dumb rule...

Can somebody post the pics for me? PM me and i'll give you the links.

20. Phil Iturralde

Got the images Mark, ... here's the ...

1) ND320 closeup vs

2) N24 closeup

You're right! Material composition is not the same as my N24 & N-Center.

If during your REFERENCE Calibration the test tones and the high frequency timbre is close to your Center and N24's, then I wouldn't worry about it since overall you have voice-matched HT speakers.

If curious, contact JBL for their explaination between the ND310 vs. N24 'supposedly identical' 3/4" Titanium-laminate domes, ... and specifically, ... why they don't look identical!?!?

Phil