JBL N38II Questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielKim, Jun 6, 2002.

1. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

I just heard the N38II at Best Buy and was pretty impressed with the sound they produced. Soundstage was wide and vocals were very clean and distinct. The thing I really adored was the bass they were able to produce. Very low, deep and clean. I can use this kind of bass when listening to SACD's which my NHT's can't produce when listening to 2 channel. I was checking each sub to make sure they were turned off. My dilemma is this. I have 5 NHT SuperOne's surrounding my seating area in my bedroom powered by a Parasound HCA855 receiving signal from a Sony DA5ES. I can get the JBL's for a very good price and am considering purchasing a pair to run my fronts. Does anyone think I should go for it? Or should I stick with the NHT's?

Phil, I know you have some say in this. Heh, I've done a lot of reading and am very tempted. Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

If they sound better to you, then by all means go for it.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have a pair and they are fine speakers. You really need a sub for everything with this small of a speaker. I use them for back surround.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

5. LinChen

LinChen Agent

Earl, JBL N38II are floor standing speakers, not small speakers.

Daniel, I have a pair of N38II and am very happy with them.
    I also use JBL NSP-1 as a center speaker and four surround and surround back speakers.

6. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    LinChen, me too! Except I have the original N38s and not the IIs. I got the NSP-1 package and a pair of N38s for less than $700 and everyone that comes over is very impressed with the sound quality (properly calibrated of course). I too use the N24s that came in the NSP-1 package as rear and back surrounds in a "7.1" setup.

I would of course recommend the N38IIs just based on the performance I get from my N38s alone.

The most important thing about any JBL speaker I feel is the quality/price ratio. Yes I know their are much better sounding speakers than my N38s. However, I also know that I'm getting very, very good sound and I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for it. I like name brands but I don't like paying a premium for them. JBL allows that to happen in my opinion at different price/performance levels.

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Same guts with a bigger box as the 38. Go to JR and you can call them to beat your lowest internet price+++++ plus free shipping.
    The n38 is cheaper and probably the same as the new model.
    you will still need a sub woofer with any 8" woofer tower/bookshelf. Good company JBL![​IMG]

8. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

Well, I can pick up a pair for $198 through my work. I think I'm going to pick up a pair to try it out. However, after spending listening to these for a while at the store, I think my NHT's sound better in my room than the N38's did. But we'll see what happens when i get the N38's in my room. Plus, I'll be pushing them with my DA5ES and and Parasound amps rather than a Yamaha receiver. Thanks guys

Dan