What's new

JBL N38II or ND310II? (1 Viewer)

JedW

Agent
I am looking at upgrading my speakers to JBL and am undecided between the N38 and the ND310. Any opinions on iether speaker and to why you would choose one over the other would be great. Also, I know that you are supposed to voice match the center and the two fronts and I have seen many posts on here about not mixing the s-series center with the n-series speakers. However, the s-series center has the same midrange as the two n-series speakers mentioned above and it is my understanding that much of the dialog and such is played through the mids. So would mixing the two be that noticable with the only difference being the one inch tweeter vs. the 3/4 inch tweeter?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jed:

I'm very pleased with the N38's. I think they're quite underrated. Even without a sub they have very good bass extension.

As far as the S-Center, most will tell you not to mix the N and S Series. My opinion is if it sounds good to you then it sounds good to you, so just do it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In this case, it is not the midrange that gives you the difference in timbre, but the tweeter. The tweeter goes a long way to giving a speaker it's character, and it is often the first thing one notices about how a speaker sounds. I would also not be surprised by a difference in crossover, which also very much determines the sound characteristics.

Only you can decide if the difference is noticeable or not. Everybody has a different tolerance level, and it also depends on how critically you are listening and what you are listening for.

JedW

Agent
Thanks for your replys and comments. Is thier anybody else with comments on these speakers?

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i think with the price of the ND310II (bestpriceaudiovideo has them for less than 200 dollars each) if you have room for them then go for it.

they are huge though, much much larger than the n38s which are not small speakers either. the nd310s are about SVS subwoofer sized.

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
I have N38's and like them alot. They put out a surprising amount of bass, in fact in my 15x13 room I dont even use a sub because they put out plenty. (Plus I am saving for an SVS).

Personally I think the ND310's are a waste unless you have have a powerful 2 channel amp to power them, and have a large room that needs all the watts to fill it with sound.

However, if you arent going to use a sub, or are going to use a cheap one, then the 310's are a good choice because they will put out more bass than cheaper subs do. I found my 38's put out a more pleasing bass than my old 120 watt 12" sub that I'd been using, so I sold off the sub.

If you are planning to get a quality sub though, (ie SVS or whatever), then the ND310's are going to be a waste of bass , because you are going to find that crossing them over at 80 hz and letting the sub handle the bass will sound better :) And then you will have these huge towers sitting there putting out bookshelf frequencies :)

francisco-a

Agent
I have the N38 from a year and 2 moths now, and I have to say that everyday im more happy with them. i have a Onkyo DS494 receiver than handle them very well, they sound hreat with all kind of music, very good speaker, my advice is to buy them, the ND310 i hink it will be too much in bass, cause the n38 are very good, at least i have a small room and they´re great. Very good speaker overall, the best i could fin for the money, all my friends says the souns amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks