JBL N38 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I might be able to get my hands on a pair of JBL N38 speakers. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them How are they?

2. Ben Scott

Ben Scott Auditioning

Doug,

I just yesterday installed a home theater at my friends house, and his new mains were the JBL N38s. We demoed several Dolby Digital soundtracks (superb midrange and nicely powerful bass on the Matrix lobby scene), a few DTS tracks, and then listened to a few CDs. They perform beautifully, especially for the price. Unless you're willing to kick up to the ND310s, which are what I'm looking at currently, these speakers should serve well.

3. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I've had them for about 5 months, and I love them. I wish I could qualify that by saying I've listened to lots of other speakers. But they sound very clear to me and the bass is very nice.

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I have the N38's as my mains, paired with a N-Center and PB10 sub.... and I love them!

5. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

In a few days I will have some of the N38s and may dissect them like I did with my S26 speakers.
    http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F...ML/001385.html
    Based on the what is inside of the S26 speakers and how good they sound JBL makes very nice speakers... IMO much better than what the average Joe deserves who buys JBLs because they are cheap and he needs some loud party speakers.
    JBLs uses better parts than many speakers in its price range and 5 times it.
    How many people here would be interested in me dissecting the N38II, S312II and ND310II and then let you guys know what I think about them?
    I'll probably get an S-Center to dissect as well.

6. James W. Johnson

And to think about all the trouble I went thru to get a hold of Paradigms and PSBs years back before I started building my own speakers...little did I know a better speaker that is easier to get and cheaper was located at BEST BUY!!!!

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Another nice thing about JBL is they provide you with DIY repairs if you'd like! I found that very interesting. I still have to register my speakers online to find out exactly what's covered. I assume since it's a 5 year warranty, they send you the parts you need for little to no cost? I don't know. But you can also buy each compent of the speaker seperately.

It's nice to know that I'll be able to get parts for my now discontinued original N38's and N-center if anything goes wrong. I think I'm also gonna order 2 pairs of the N26 from J&R since they are very cheap right now.

8. James W. Johnson

I already used their warranty, I purchased my speakers on Ebay directly from HK. They were remans but I was not happy that one of the tweeters were pushed in. I called them up and they are sending me another one, no questions asked. Also I fixed the other tweeter by pulling it out of the cabinet and gently touching a magnet to it..it easily jumped right back into its normal shape, so now I have a spare tweeter.

I suppose if you are calling them up once a week to get another driver they might start making you pay for them..otherwise based on my conversation with the service dept. at HK it seems JBL is very liberal with their warranty service.

Furthmore I am going to purchase a few $20 tweeters at Parts Express that I believe are the exact ones used in the JBLs...if they are I will provide instructions on how to replace these tweeters..it will take a few steps because the PE tweeter are glued to an Audax flange and you would need to re-use the flange mount on the JBLs tweeter.

I am pretty sure I know which tweeter is used in both the N and S series.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

10. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

11. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Interesting conversation.I am thinking about purchasing some s38's and diving into the HT arena. What do you guys think about this? My room is 15.5 x 11.5. I will have a 32 inch tv on one end (have not decided yet, looking at wega fs with 16/9 option), Denon avr3802, 6 jbl s38's for front, side, and rear surrounds, s-center and 25-31pci. I will have either 2 small chairs or one small couch with 5.5 feet of space behind them for rear speaker space. Still need to find a good dvd/cd player. So what do you guys think of all this. Is this room good size for all this? Open to suggestions.

12. James W. Johnson

Parin, what are you pushing your S312s with? Also have you measured their in room response at all? Lastly have you had them really loud running full range 105dbs+..if so how did they respond/sound at these levels?

250watts is quite alot of power handling for any speaker, I think they are over-rated abit because JBL states,

"The maximum recommended amplifer power rating will ensure proper headroom to allow for occasional peaks. We do not recommend sustained operation at these maximum power levels"

So they are pretty much saying the peak power handing is 250watts, which would bring the rms handling down quite abit.

13. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

James,

I am using an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver (80Wattsx6) to push my S312's. I have them set as large (full-range signal) and have my system calibrated at reference (75 db using the SPL meter and the S&V Home Theater Setup DVD). However, reference is really loud for me, and I rarely ever listen at that volume. Most of the time I watch DVD's at 15-20 dbs below reference. Overall, the receiver does a very good job and I find the speakers to be very clear and detailed, even at high volumes during the rare times when I demo some music or DVD's for my friends.

Parin