JBL N28 vs NSP1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos B, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Carlos B

Carlos B Auditioning

Hello!

My name is Carlos and I am new to the forum. I've been lurking around for a while now, trying to learn a bit about HT before taking the plunge. I'd love some advice as to the budget allocation in particular with regards to the JBL Northridge speaker series.

I'm in the market for my first "real" HT. I currently have a Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III powered by a JCV stereo receiver that's at least 20 years old. This system has served me faithfully for the past 9 years but is now ready to be moved to the bedroom.

I'm budgeting about $1300 for the speakers, receiver, and progressive scan DVD. I've auditioned the SCS-150s and found them to have a noticeable hole in the mid-range spectrum. I've also checked out the N center channel and very much liked what I heard. My local pro shop has a pair of (all new, unopened) N28I that are being sold at $200 for the pair, with the NCenterI at $100, and a pair of the N24Is at $125. This is about $100 more than the best price for a new NSP1II from an on-line authorize dealer. The question is whether the front stage will be unbalanced by the N28s vs. the N24s. I heard the center stage with both pairs today for about 10 minutes each, and both sounded great on a Marantz SR 4300. I know I'm suppose to go with what I like, but I'd love to hear some of the experts chime in if they think this is lunacy!

In terms of a receiver I'm thinking of the Kenwood 6070 or the Marantz SR 4300 which can be had for about $450.

For DVD, I was considering the Sony NS755 (decodes SACDs) and can be found for around $225.

That leaves about $200 (ideally less) for a sub. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Carlos

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The N28s will not make the front sound stage unbalanced. Any speaker in the Northridge series will be tonally matched to the N Center. That said, the N28s would make great mains.

Given your budget, I would recommend going online and getting the N28s AND the NSP1 package, giving you a great 7.1 speaker setup. The N28s can be had for under $200 shipped, and the NSP1 package can be had for around $250 shipped.

From there, i would recommend either the Denon 1803, Pioneer D811S, or either of the receivers mentioned. They all should be available for under $400 online (except for the marantz, but only because of how new to the market it is).

For the DVD, your choice looks solid, but it can be had for under $200 online.

For the sub, i would look at the DLS 10" from parts express, or the Audiosource 15" from ubid or ebay.

Hope this helps.

3. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

steven,
    i have not seen the JBL NSP1 II's for $250 shipped.
    where have you found them at that price?
    i just found out that there is a retail outlet
    store in lower manhattan for www.etronics.com
    what do you think?
    i could save on shipping costs.
    their advertised prices for these sets are:
    JBL NSP1 II $269
    JBL NSP1 II & PB10 $439
    JBL NSP1 II & PB12 $499
    thanks.

4. Carlos B

Carlos B Auditioning

David,

I've done a fair bit of pricing for the NSP1s on line in the last few days. One issue that concerned me is that etronics is not an authorized JBL dealer, so JBL may (or may not) honor the warranty. Vanns.com has the NSP1 at $320 shipped and they are an authorized dealer as per the JBL site (Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Vanns and have never bought anything from them). They sell the PB10 at $250. I've heard the PB10 locally and I thought it was so/so, but who knows if that was the receiver, the connects, the acoustics of the room, etc.

--Carlos

5. Carlos B

Carlos B Auditioning

David,

I've done a fair bit of pricing for the NSP1s on line in the last few days. One issue that concerned me is that etronics is not an authorized JBL dealer, so JBL may (or may not) honor the warranty. Vanns.com has the NSP1 at $320 shipped and they are an authorized dealer as per the JBL site (Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Vanns and have never bought anything from them). They sell the PB10 at $250. I've heard the PB10 locally and I thought it was so/so, but who knows if that was the receiver, the connects, the acoustics of the room, etc.

--Carlos

6. KelvinMc

KelvinMc Auditioning

Go to Harman Audio on eBay and get you a set of NSP1 speakers. They are an authorized dealer and the speakers are new. I just recently won a bid and with shipping it was $241. Not to bad.
    Harman Audio on eBay

7. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

When did JBL introduce their new Studio II speakers?

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you order today from www.ecost.com there's free shipping.
    Pioneer VSX-811s $299.95
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=660570
    JBL NSP-1 $272.95
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...=email,ECOSTPG
    JBL N26II $119
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=969772
    Toshiba SD4800 Prog. Scan and DVD Audio $164.95
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=494954
    Adire Audio Rava $399 JBL just can't compare
    http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...eries/rava.htm
    Total is 1255.85 and since shipping from ecost.com is free today, you only pay shipping on the Rava. I don't think much better could be done for the price. If you do decide you want to spend less money later, I recommend going with 5.1 instead of 7.1 and keep most of the money in the sub.

10. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

isn't ecost.com an Unauthorized dealer????
    i know it's certified by cnet.com....
    but will JBL honor their warranty if
    purchased through ecost.com?
    the JBL NSP1 II's are on sale at B&H Photo
    for $279, free shipping.
    www.bhphoto.com
    add the PB10 to the NSP1 II's... it's $439, free shipping.
    i might just go with B&H for the NSP1 II's.
    [​IMG]

11. Carlos B

Carlos B Auditioning

B&H has the S26 at $199 a pair! This means that a 5.1 setup with S26s as the fronts and sorrounds, the S center channel, on a Pioneer D811s with a Sony SA-WM40 would keep me under budget (and in good standing witht the wife).

So, the question is, should I go with a better sub and the Northridge speakers or a weaker one and the S series?

--Carlos