What's new

JBL N28 or S26 (1 Viewer)

Albert_L

Agent
I am getting the NSP1 and looking to replace the front speakers. Which would be better the N28 or S26. They are both around $100 so price is really going to be a factor. I don't have a sub yet. Would it be more wise to keep the N24 and get a sub first. Which are better for music.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Albert,

I'm in the same situation,

I'm planning on buying either the NSP1 or 2 pairs of S26 and an S Center, both will be pair with an SVS PCi 25-31. But I don't know if I need to buy better speakers (that can reach lower), because I will restrict them with my reciever to small speakers.

But in my opinion you should go first for a good sub, and latter depending on your needs, you could go for a better speaker system.

Also I wouldn't mix Northbrige with Studio series, both have different timber, It could sound good or not, buy either northbrige or studio series.

Wait until Phil gives you advise, he is an expert on JBL, he has S26 and NPS1, so he could give you a better advise than me.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I agree with the JBL advice Pablo offers........I'd stay to one series over the other and since you've started with NSP1 perhaps it would be better to stick with the N series?

However, If you're going to buy all S series for your front soundstage I'd say you are probably safe getting all S series for the fronts.

I heartily recommend the S series over the N...But let your ears be the judge. I heard "what I consider" a significant difference between the two.....Not that the N's were bad, I just preferred the S's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Stephen, there is a noticable difference in sound reproduction between the S26 and the N24. No question, the S26 is a better speaker, for the tweeter alone and the bass response is quite improved. The N24s do not have sufficient bass extension to be convincing for music, IMO. They are very good for the price and do fine for movies, but are not as good as the S26s for either.

Any speaker needs to cover at least one octave BELOW your x-over point. A x-over is not a brick wall, but rather has a slope and slowly rolls off from the x-over point at a particular dB per octave, depending on design, and will still give you some sound at least through most or all of one octave below (or above, depending on the application). That means, with a 100Hz X-over, the speakers should be capable of 50Hz at least. 100Hz is a farily high x-over point also.

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking S 38's with an S center up front and S 36's to the rear. N26's would be easier to mount in the rear then S26's so my first question is would the N26's make that big a difference for HT compared to S26's
Also, would S38's be much better up front as compared to S26's up front? planning on a JBL PB12 sub.
thanks
Brian

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
#3 said:
Like Stephan, I don't recommend mixing the two JBL Series, because they are timbre-match within each Series. Either get ALL N-Series, or ALL S-Series (explanation in #3 above).
Earl Simpson - nice buy!!
Phil

Albert_L

Agent
Thanks Phil, very helpful. Much appreciated.

So I will stick with the N24's first and get a sub. Been looking at the PB10 on ebay directly from Harmon. They seem to go for about $150 shipping included. They are remanufactured but carry the full warranty. What do you guys think.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Where are you finding the S26 at around $100? I got my first set at $83.01 for the pair, and haven't found a similar price since.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Adam, are you going to be getting the S-Center to go along with them?

I recently (yesterday) added my S-Center and the difference between it and any other center is going to be astounding. When your center matches your mains, sound that pans across the front stage will be seamless. For example in the lobby scene in The Matrix when Neo throws his gun to the left you hear it hit the floor towards the center of the stage and slide left. Until I got my S-Center this transition wasn't smooth, but now it is extremely convincing and realistic.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
The setup isn't done yet. Because of room restraints, I'm going to have to build, or find someone to build a custom TV stand. Therefore, I do not have everything up yet. That and the Panny RP82 isn't out yet (I think) and the Samsung HDTV I'll be getting didn't come into Sears until the 8th. The S-Center II will go on top of the set.
I just got back from a week at the beach, so I haven't had a chance to get out. While I know my speaker placement will not be optimal when everything's finished, you've just made me even more excited. :)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I don't think there are many here with perfect speaker placement.......Which is why you should calibrate your system to your primary seating position if you can......

I have my setup in our family room that includes a fireplace and opening to the Kitchen.....But I've set my speaker distances properly and tuned the sound with Avia and the RS SPL meter. Sounds really good even though I know it could be better without the fireplace!! But I enjoy that in the winter as well.......

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Speakers placed perfectly or not, I still think calibration/balancing is crucial. I'd like to think that my placement is very good yet, I have to have 5db of boost on my mains to get them to play at the same level as my center, and this is with matching mains/center from the same manufacturer and series. S26 and S-Center.

Albert_L

Agent
I went to Bestbuy and listened to the N24, N26, and S26. Without a sub, the N24 are lacking. The N26 and S26 sounded so much fuller than the N24. Once you hear the other speakers, it is hard to accept just the N24 but I will probably go the sub route first.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips, fellas. I may spring for a meter from Radio Shack once my entire setup is complete. I'm pretty anxious. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks