What's new

JBL N series 5 speaker setup for $250 Is this a good price? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I'm able to buy this new. Is this a good price for them? The store is also giving me a demo JBL PSW-D110 10 inch sub for another $200. I read in audioreview this sub has a reliability issue but is sounded great in the store.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
250 is the best price you'll find on the NSP1 (which is the set i'm assuming you're looking at) that's the best price you can find it for on the internet for sure. Best buy sells the NSP1 for 400$ and the PB10 for $300 so those are very good prices for a B&M. The PB10 is good, but the PB12 is even better for only 100$ more at best buy, so see if that guy will sell you a pb12 for about $250 or so.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Definatly a good deal IMO. I have N Series speakers and absolutly love them. Go for it..........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I was thinking of the pb10 or 12 vs the old psw-d110. My floor is concrete and am wondering about base response of a down firing sub (pb10 or 12) vs a sidefiring (d110). What would be better for a concrete floor?

Vu N

Auditioning
Hi Len,
Can I ask you where in the Vancouver area you were able to find those speakers for that price? I was interested in that set as well. Sounds really good - if I bought those speakers separately, it would cost around $415 at Future Shop over here. Thanks.
Vu

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
The old JBL PSW series subs have historically had problems with their amplifiers (something that has since been fixed with the current PB subs). This is generally why you can get such good deals on them as reconditioned models. I'd suggest spending a little extra to get the PB10 if you're looking at a 10-inch. You'll thank yourself later on.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Which speakers come is the NSP1 package? I was considering a system of the N26 (front) N24 (rear) N-Center and the PB-10 for the sub. This package will cost about $800 at Bestbuy.

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Being that I have this speaker package, I'd say that price is a great deal. You'd be getting quality speakers while saving some bucks. Go for it!

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought the JBL's. N26 front, N24 rear, N-Center and SB-10. I'm really happy with the speakers. Should I have any reservations about ordering them online?
Anyone know where to buy the JBL stands that go with these speakers? JBL lists them on the website but I can't find them anywhere.
------------------

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
How do these speakers sound like? Are they good for music as well as for movies? I am trying to decide on which speaker package to buy. I am leaning towards Polk Audio's RM6600, but they are way more expensive than the JBL's.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I second Sean Con comments! (my JBL NSP1's coupled w/AudioSource SW15 powered sub)
How do these speakers sound like?
Excellent and very competitive w/comparable priced and higher priced speakers - performance, imaging and dynamic handling capabilities! Also, there is no fear of blowing the JBL N24 4" woofer playing @ or near REF Level - been doing that since April 2000. The latest near REF Level (about -6 dB below REF, keeping the MAX Fast peak SPLs to approx. 106 dB in the HT/family room) session was the last two nights, . . . two viewing sessions of http://www.geocities.com/mv_us_2000/Toshiba_50H81_HDTV5.html w/family and friends (tried to keep the group to less that a dozen each session).
For more speaker reviews and links, see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/JBL_Labs.html

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
perrin: I went to Circuit City to listen to the polks. They were too small sounding for my tastes. I really like the JBL's. For the cost online I may just get the N-28 fronts and N-26 for the rear. Comes out cheaper than Best Buy for the N26/N24 combo. Any thoughts on the N28?
------------------

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Jo: I like the sound of the N-28's also. But cannot tell you from experience how the N-28/N-26 combo would sound in a HT.
But I would guess(and a good guess I imagine) that this would be a splendid combo!
The N-24/26 uses the curved waveguide design which contributes to the N-24/N-26's great sound.
Come to think of it the N-28 may use this design as well, but the waveguide is built within the square enclosure, this would make sense because a speaker that big being shaped like the N-26 would be hard to mount. Don't qoute me on this though! Maybe Phil will jump in here with his JBL expertise.
Without going overboard I would think bigger would be better.
------------------
Sean
"Doing the Bull Dance..Feelin' the flow.....Workin' it..Workin' it."
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 21, 2001 at 01:51 PM]

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I have read that the center speaker has some shielding problems if you place it on top of the TV. Have they fix that yet?

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the n-center sitting directly on my TV, no problem at all.
------------------

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i was originally planning to grab some sweet Paradigm towers next year, but since i have no room in the dorm and still want new speakers, i'm really seriously considering the Northridge package. if i dont spend too much $$ then i can still afford a nice TV. i've heard great stuff about this package, but are there others in this price range to consider?
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks