JBL N-Center - Sheilding problems?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MatthewK, Nov 20, 2002.

1. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into the NSP1 speaker system for a family member. It seems like a *great* system for the price but after searching the web for reviews I read that *many* people have sheilding problems with the center. Has anyone here experienced this?

Also, if I were to order the NSP1 series 1 through etronics and had a center with bad sheilding would I be able to get it serviced? (Is etronics an "authorized" dealer?)

I am looking into pairing this with a sony WM40 and want to pass on the recommendations ASAP. If you know of a better speaker set (w/o sub) for the money (~$250 shipped) please let me know.

Thanks,

Matthew

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have the NSP1 package and i've never had any video shielding problems. I have the center directly on top of my tv. My TV is, however, a 43" RPTV, and therefore the CRTs are at the bottom of the set pointed up, putting quite a bit of distance between them and the speaker.

I've never read a post concerning N Center shielding deficiencies on this board, so i had no idea that there was such a problem. If i get a chance, i'll try my N Center on top of my computer monitor and see if there is any shielding problems.

Hope this helps.

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I also have the NSP1 package and I have had absolutely no shielding problems. Like Stephen, my N-Center is right on top of my television. My TV is a CRT.

4. MatthewK

I had seen a report of it on Amazon and one (or more) other sources. Good to know not everyone experiences this. Still interested if others have had this problem on this board.

Anyone know if items bought from etronics have the JBL warranty? If not anyone know a location where one can get a full warranty NSP1 series 1 for the best price?

Thanks for the quick responses all!

Matthew

5. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

You could always go to Best Buy and buy one to test out, then return it and buy from etronics.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sits right on top of my 60-inch RPTV. No problems whatsoever.

7. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

ditto on my 47"

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I put my parent's N Center on top of my own 32" Toshiba it was as if there's no shielding at all! Half of my screen went green.

It's not being used right now(basement being finished) but it will eventually sit on a RPTV of at least 60" so I dont' think it will matter with what tv they decide.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

NO problems on top of my (JBL NSP1 since APR 2000)...

1) 35" Toshiba CX35D60 Direct View

or

2) 50" 16:9 Toshiba 50H81 HDTV

10. MatthewK

Shoot... in the past 6 hours from reading the replies to now (lunch) when I was going to order etronics doesn't have the nsp1 (series 1) anymore!

Anyone know another place with competitive prices on the JBL nsp series? I am looking for below $280 shipped (preferrably below $250 as etronics was).

Thanks everyone!

Matthew

11. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

my N-center isnt sheiled, but i was able to fix it by placing two vcr casettes under neath each side of it. that raises it high enough that theres no interference.

it didnt occur to me that put videocasettes underneath an unshielded speaker would ruin the video casettes until a bit later, but its a little too late now, isnt it?

12. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I had problems with the speaker on top of my 32" direct view Samsung. I had to build a shelf above and behind the TV to get rid of the distortion.

13. MatthewK

Called JBL about the sheilding and authorized dealers.
    They said they have had *very* few complaints about it. Said (paraphrased) "you can only shield 5/6 sides of a speaker. therefore the front in all speakers is unsheilded. The vast majority of those who experience shielding problems do not put the center channel all the way forward on their TVs to prevent the unsheilded front from interfering." He proceeded to say that *if* it still had sheilding problems when it was "installed" properly it probably would be a valid warranty repair.
    Also asked about the retailers etronics. Etronics is *not* a valid retailer. Interestingly I asked about some other retailers who appear to be valid for store sales. He said as long as you do *not* place order via the internet site (assuming they have one) you are fully covered. Therefore if you order via a non-internet aproved retailer that is approved for store sales be sure to place a *phone* order! [​IMG] Strange but true.
    Hope this helps all you guys out there in JBL land. Still hoping to find a good deal on the speakers now the etronics is out and doesn't forsee getting any more.
    Matthew

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Never had a problem with the N-Center on a 25" color tube TV or a 53" 16:9 RPHDTV. I don't own the N-Center anymore, but it is a decent center channel for the money.

Ed

15. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I've had some N26's and an N-Center for 3 or 4 months, they been sitting in the boxes because I wasn't able to set them up for various reasons.

Earlier today I was going to set them up and I sat the N-Center on top of my Toshiba 27AF42 TV, it caused immediate color distortion on the top of the picture. Even if I move the front grill of the N-Center as far forward of the front of the picture tube as is possible without it tipping over, the distortion is still there.

It seems to be a little less noticable if the grill of the N-Center is behind the front edge of the tube, but it's still there.

I'd have to raise it up about 6-8" at least for the distortion to go away. It's not subtle distortion either, when you set the speaker on top of the set you immediately see if and if you raise and lower it above the set you can see the distortion fade in and out.

This really bums me out.
    BrianGC

16. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

www.bhphotovideo.com has it for 209 with free shipping.
    not sure if they're an authorized dealer or not though.

17. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor