What's new

JBL, Klipsch, Infinity, or HTD ????? (1 Viewer)

Bob-Smith

Agent
I have been a "watcher" for some time, and finally got the courage to jump in and ask for help. I have been very impressed with the knowledge and willingness to share same with others, and hope you can help me with my speaker choice. I have recently purchased a Denon AVR-1802 and have been shopping speakers for several months. I have narrowed my choices to:

JBL S-series with towers (personal history w/JBL)

Klipsch Reference series (reputation)

Infinity Interlude series with towers (good price)

Home Theater Direct Level 3 with towers (great price)

I am seeking clear, accurate mids and highs for music (40%),and must have very clear voice for HT (60%).

Please help me pull the trigger on this puppy.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Have you listened to all four yet?

I don't think you could go wrong with either of the top three. I don't know about the last one. I did the JBL thing because I didn't want to spend the jack on similar Klipsch. I like all three, but since I have used the JBL's I'll tell you I'm very happy with mine. I have the S312's for the fronts, the Scenter and S36's for rears, driven by an Onkyo 797.

Bear in mind the Klipsch have horns, which doesn't bother me in the least, however some people just don't like them.

Bob-Smith

Agent
I have auditioned all but HTD, and like the JBL, but I am hopeful that someone can offer experience in the home setting, as opposed to the artifical B&W listening rooms.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't listened to the HTD Level III's, but I have a pair of Level I's as my surrounds. They sound very good for the money. I have Def Tech PM350's up front and they blend well. Kind of makes me wish I hadn't spent all the money on the Def Techs.
HTD's customer service is outstanding. I screwed up and ordered a white pair instead of black pair of Level I's. They are sending me a black pair with a return UPS pick up for the white pair. If I had the space I would have looked at their towers. They have a 30-day money back guarantee, I believe it even includes shipping. You can at least give them a try in your house. I also asked HTD several questions over email. They always responded the very next day.
There is also a review here:
Link Removed
and here on the towers:
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Level%20III%20Tower.htm

Cam S

Screenwriter
I thought the Horns on the Klipsch's would be a little to bright and "out there", but when I bought my ref' Klipsch's, I instantly loved them. But let your ears do the talking for you.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've tried the Klipsch Synergy series and the JBL S38s in a home setting.
I prefer the sound of the JBL studio series over the Klipsch. Later, I auditioned the Reference series in a dedicated room and I was impressed with the highs, though not the price.
If it was my money I'd get the JBL:
S312 $500-600
S26 surround $175
S-center $150
S120 Subwoofer $450
My next choice would be Klipsch ref 3 series and then the Infinity IL40s (IL10, IL25c), but remember, 80% of all THX movie theaters rely on JBL equiptment. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks