JBL J900MV Series

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt^Brown, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Does anyone know anything about this speaker? There is a guy selling a surround sound set on ebay and currently they are pretty cheap. He lives close to me so I would not have to pay shipping and could go pick them up. Are they worth $150.00 or less for the complete set. Set includes J center, J520M bookshelfs, and J900MV towers.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

They are worth $150.00 for the whole set if they still look new and the speaker components have not been abused or damaged!

A few years ago, I sold my 5-year old JBL SC305 (like the J-Center w/14mm Ti dome tweeter), JBL J820m (14 Ti dome), JBL 520m (10 Ti dome) and JBL ARC 8" 80w power sub for $245 locally! The set was like NEW physically and sonically! (Ti = Titanium)

That complete J-Series setup sounded dynamic and smooth, and overall, ... as good if not better than the local better Cinema DD/DTS-5.1 Theater's.

The reason why I went JBL was the original goal to reproduce HT sound to be as good, if not better than the Cinema Theaters locally and every time we thought the movie surround sound was very dynamic, clear, impressive w/full Theater wide frequency impact, we looked @ the Theater's speakers (SF to SJ Bay Area) and in ALL cases, ... they were JBL's! I was told by my usual once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD crowd (family and friends), the J-Series sounded better than the local Theaters! [​IMG]

I replace the J-Series with the JBL NSP1's in my Main HT room. Later, after we bought a vacation house up in the Sierra's, the NSP1's went up there and I bought JBL S-Series (six JBL S26's, JBL S-Center and bass /LFE handled by my SVS 25-31PCi.)

NOTE: Dr. Floyd Toole recommended to Greg Timbers, JBL Chief Development Engineer to utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in their Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, and allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros. Adding the Elliptical Oblate Spheroid (EOS) waveguide to the N-, S- & E-Series helped their consumer Titanium dome tweeters to imitate their JBL TEC-Award LSR Studio Monitor's by design, ... delivers the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider soundfield with more precise imaging and localization. (Subjective reports and objectively benchmarked proven technology)

Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. Matt^Brown

Thank you for the reply.

4. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Phil, any experience with JBL 940's?

I picked up 2 prs of these for my basement-soon to be dedicated HT. One speaker has a blown woofer and mid-woofer, yet i knew this. I basically paid and traded about $240 worth of $ and stuff for these. These are 4 ohm, 300 watt, 65 pound speakers. 4 way with 1" tweeter, 5" mid, 8 mid-bass, and 10" woofer. These sound fantastic. They are about 43" tall but i am going to use 3 of them for my fronts and center (the 4 th will be my spare for parts-crossover, tweet, and mid).

my point is that i also have a 7.1 set-up-S38II's, EC35 center, N26 and N24. These are all new but don't quite fill the room as these 20 year old speakers.

Matt-you will not find a better quality set-up for $150. Speakers really don't become outdated. Make sure all the drivers are working, etc. I am sure they don't have foam surrounds and they are not that old-good deal...

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hey Dorian, ... sorry no experience with the JBL 940's! Looking over the spec's leads me to believe that they were the speaker line that the original JBL S-Series replaced.

The JBL 940 moves allot of air based on the spec's;

JBL940 10" 4-Way Floor Standing
    • Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 10 - 300 watts
    • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    • Woofer: 10" high polymer laminate
    • Mid-Bass Driver: 8" high polymer laminate
    • Midrange Driver: 5" high polymer laminate
    • Tweeter: 1" titanium laminate
    • Frequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 200Hz, 800Hz, 4kHz
    • Sensitivity: 94dB (1 watt/1 meter)
    • MSRP U.S.: $395.00 each

For the MSRP, a fair comparison that would move allot of air like the 940's would be this ...

JBL STUDIO SERIES – S310II 3-Way 10" 200 Watt Floorstanding Speaker (no longer available)
    • Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 200 Watts
    • Impedance: 8 Ohms
    • Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 91dB
    • Frequency Response (–3dB): 37Hz – 20kHz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 850Hz, 3500Hz
    • High-Frequency Driver: 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide
    • Midrange Driver: 4" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Low-Frequency Driver: 10" PolyPlas™ cone
    • Dimensions
    (H x W x D): 38" x 13" x 12-1/2"
    (965mm x 330mm x 318mm)
    • Weight: 55 lb (25kg)
    • MSRP U.S.: $379.99 each

Phil

6. DorianBryant

Matt,

Did you get the speakers?

7. Matt^Brown

No, I did not buy them. I bid $150 and they ended up going for $152 which was fine by me. I was going to put these speakers in my front living room so that I had 5.1 in both of my tv rooms. I told myself before I bid that I would go no higher then $150 and I stuck with it. Which is pretty impressive for me since I am an ebay junkie.

8. DorianBryant

There will always be another deal. I saw the add with a few minutes left and it was at $152.