JBL HTi series speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrianTwig, May 11, 2006.

1. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Posted one thread previous about my building a new system for my family room. Trying to keep cost down (like everyone), and I just don't have the ears or knowledge to tell the difference between top of the line stuff and avg stuff.

The JBL HTi8 speakers are of interest to me. How do they compare to the NHT IW3 speakers? I will be using them for fronts and surrounds. My system will be 95% for music, which is almost entirely heavy metal (Metallica primarily). And what about the JBL HTi-55 for a center?

Open to suggestions on a center and other inwall speakers for fronts and surrounds that are in the same price range. Can get either the NHT or JBL fronts and surrounds for @ $500 total from what I have seen at online stores. Also, suggestions on online stores is appreciated.

I am waffling between the Marantz SR 5600 and the Harmon Kardon AVR 635 for the receiver. Also can be had for within a few dollars of eachother.

Suggestions, comments, thoughts?

I have 95% settled on the SVS 20-39 PCi cylinder sub unless people can talk me out of it for some reason.

Thanks!

And to further be a pain in the butt. I am needing a new CD player, preferably a 5 disc that is cheap but will match up and work well with the above receivers. My current 5 disc is ancient. About 13 years old.

Thanks again.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Brian. Welcome to HTF!

Well lets see...

The SVS is a great choice. I have one and it will rattle things in the next room.

The speakers -- are a little harder to judge. And you are asking about in-walls which are trickier still.

First a few rules:

- Never try to mix different brands for your front speakers for a HT system. Go with the center that matches your L/R.

- Deciding between 2 brands of speakers is like deciding between 2 brands of beer or ice-cream. What I prefer and what you/someone else prefers may be way different. But all are valid. This is because speakers have "flavor" and what you prefer and what I like are likely different. You just cannot line them up from 'best' to 'worst'. Try and see if any store has the JBL's on display so you can go hear them.

Having said that: NHT tends to be a bit more audiophile grade. Their external speakers are often described as "neutral" which music lovers sometimes perfer. They also tend to want more watts to make them wake up.

Since you are into rock - you might like the JBL's if they sound more "forward" or "agressive".

For the reciever - I dont have time to do too much research but the unit with more inputs and features might be better for you than the unit with more power. That SVS is going to take over the heavy wattage duties so watts is less critical than if you had full-range towers all being powered by the receiver.

Hope this helps.

3. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Thanks Bob.

Yes, I will be going with in-walls. I like big giant floor speakers, but my wife doesn't and 2 small children and 2 dogs terrorize everything on the floor. So in-walls are the choice. Plus, when I sell the house, since they are installed in the walls they will be considered a "fixture" and have to stay with the house (unless negotiated out) and that could bring me a few extra dollars with the right buyer, but more importantly give me an excuse for a new system when I move!

I can't find the JBL HTi8 at any local audio shops and have had a really difficult time finding any reviews online.

One of my friends is an audio guy, but he likes totally different music so his ear for my music is not so good. But from a techical standpoint he has suggested (If I go with the NHT) to get the IW3 for the fronts and center and then drop down to the IW2 or IW1 for the surrounds since they will be used less and it will save a few bucks.

Problem is everywhere I look online sells them in pairs so getting a single for the center is an issue. And NHT doesn't seem to build an inwall center.

Thanks again.

4. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

both are very good speakers. I've installed the JBL HTI's and thought they sounded great.

I'm also a big fan of NHT's...they sound great as well. either way you can't really go wrong. if you can't judge with your ears, then judge with your wallet. either way, you'll end up with a good sounding system.

by the way...if you go with the HTI's...us the HTI 55's for all three fronts. just turn the center one sideways. IMHO, they sound better than the HTI6's....and they'll timber match!