What's new

JBL HT Series (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
For months now I've been wondering about the JBL HT series speakers, specifically the HT4V/H. I've searched around the internet and this forum for information on them, but haven't found any substantive info. So I turn here.

Application: movies only (7 speakers)
Room: 3500 CUBIC feet
sub: SVS of course

So I'm wondering, how are these speakers? Are they great? Do they suck? Does anyone know? I have a pair of JBL S38IIs and I think they kick some kind of wicked ass. Can I expect the same from the HT series?

JBL HT4V

• Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 150 watts
• Impedance: 8 Ohms
• Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 88dB
• Frequency Response: 50Hz – 20kHz (–6dB)
• High-Frequency Driver: 1" Pure-titanium dome with Bi-Radial® Horn
• Low-Frequency Driver: Dual 5-1/4" cones
• Dimensions
(H x W x D): 20" x 6-13/16" x 11-7/8"
508mm x 173mm x 302mm
• Weight: 25lb /11.4kg

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I could be wrong but I thought that those were for an actual movie theater setup. Have you found any kind of pricing on them?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Sound & Vision reviewed a JBL HT Series setup several months ago ("Sonic Signatures," September 2003), comparing it to similar setups from 2 other brands (can't recall which). The JBL was very well-reviewed. S&V tends to gush about almost everything, however, although I have no doubt that these speakers perform well.

And these are for home use. They are not part of the JBL "consumer" lines, but they are intended for home theater setups. Here's an excerpt from S&V:

More commercial movie theaters use JBL speakers than any other brand. Its HT — Home Theater — Series is all about bringing that level of performance home. Build your own cinema with two HT4V L/R speakers, an HT4H center speaker, two HT5 surrounds, and two THX-certified HTPS-400 subs that each house a 12-inch driver and a 1,000-watt amp. Price of admission: $6,550. (See the review in “Sonic Signatures,” September 2003.)

The reference: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=4&preview=

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It would be nice if JBL would come out with a more stout version of there HT series. Especially for people that have or planing to own projection set ups with large rooms. JBL's HT series are nice and have a nice sound to them. For myself I use a pair of Altec A7 voice of the theater speakers. JBL's 5 1/4 woofers would not be enough to keep up with my current main speakers. My solution is to build custom center and rear speakers using professional components. JBL has done a great job over the years from standard consumer to audiophile quality and comercial theaters. For small to medium rooms I have no doubt that these HT series JBL's can hold there own with other brands with no trouble. I also hope that JBL would start offering true compression drivers with there non pro products.

Nice job JBL :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks Shane

Cant beleive I forgot about JBL Synthesis series as I heard the demo at CES in Vegas. I will need to check into pricing but I am afraid that they will be pricy. I dont think that there 6 1/2" woofer configs will do the job. I have a Polk center channel with 5 1/4" woofers that strains to keep up with my Altec VOTT's. But thanks for the links as they where very helpfull. Depending on the cost I may just incorperate some syntesis speakers into my ht. Cant wait to see what Lord Of The Rings sounds like with a Altec/JBL speaker system in DTS.

My Dream Speaker System that I am working on inlude updating my Altec's to have active crossovers, JBL center channel with dual 10" or dual 12" woofers w/ hf horn, and 8" woofers with hf horns around the back (7.2 config) with dual 18" woofers for earth shakin bass :D

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I own a pair of JBL HT4V's - but they are the Brit ones and are called SVA1500's I think. I am 'thinking' about selling them, as I want something bigger. They were from a pawn shop and I paid $300 for the pair :emoji_thumbsup:

They are great for cinema, and music, but as my subwoofer amp is dead, I need bass, and am looking at getting some bigger floor standers.

I don't know what I want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks