What's new

JBL HLS615 and HLS810 as possible speaker upgrades (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I am currently using the current setup:
Pioneer VSX-D811S Receiver
Sony SS-MB300H Mains
Sony SS-C490 Center
Sony SS-MB100H R/L Surrounds
Sony SS-MB100H R/L Back Surrounds
RCA 12" 200W Subwoofer
My next upgrade will be a DIY sub, as soon as I get the chance to build it (and sell my RCA sub).
After that, i'm trying to decide on a speaker upgrade.
I frequent www.harmanaudio.com to keep my eye on refurb deals on JBL speakers. I've recently noticed the HLS615 and HLS810 speakers, both for around $150 a pair. I would probably get a pair of HLS615s as my mains, or possibly the HLS810s. I may also get HLS810s for my surrounds, if i like them (or the HLS615s) performance as mains.
My questions are the following:
1.) Are these speakers too good to be true at $150 a pair? I've read really good reviews on epinions, but thought the HT forum would be a more definative source.
2.) Which would you reccomend for mains and fo surrounds? I've always liked the full extension of a tower speaker, even though i'm currently using an extremely large (21" tall) "bookshelf" speaker on 18" stands. I really like the stands i've built, that's why i'm considering the HLS810s as mains, because i could retain the same stands. If i got the HLS615s for mains and the HLS810s for surrounds, i could relocate my current main stands to the back
3.) What center channel speaker would you match with these? An N-Center, S-Center, or something else?
4.) I've also thought about either the HLS615s or HLS810s as mains, then getting the NSP1 package. This way i could use the N-Center, and all 4 N24s as surrounds. Would this be a good idea?
5.) Most importantly, would any of these options REALLY be an upgrade? Or am i better off with what i have until i can afford a significant upgrage (JBL Studios, Paradigm, something else higher end), which may be a good while away?
Thanks alot.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
First off let me say that yes the JBLs will be an upgrade from your Sony speakers. I've owned my JBL HLS series speakers since 99 and I love them. Even though I'm replacing them with B&W speakers in a month or two I really like the HLS speakers. Great speaker for movies and not bad for music either. Back in their day(if you can say that about the late 90s;)) they were considered a pretty good speaker for the price.
I'll try to answer your questions and remember this is just my opinion.
5.) Most importantly, would any of these options REALLY be an upgrade? Or am i better off with what i have until i can afford a significant upgrage (JBL Studios, Paradigm, something else higher end), which may be a good while away?
I guess it's really a question of when you plan on getting something higher end? If it's within six months then I'd wait. If it's a year away then I'd go for it. The Paradigms would be an upgrade from the HLS series, but the JBL Studios would probably be a lateral move.
I hope some of this helped. Here's a list of the HLS speakers I use. You can check them out on my site below.
Fronts: HLS820
Rear: 4 HLS410
Center: HLSCenter

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
the 615's will sound better than the 810s. The jbl 6 inch drivers for these series sounded much better than the 8.

I've got the 610's and they hold up very well with the budget bookshelves. I listened to mini monitors, superones, psb alphas, B&W's, and found that the jbl's had better imaging and detail than most, although the sound is a little brighter than some of the other speakers. They are also fairly sensitive and easy to drive.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I'm using HLS-620 towers for my mains and the HLS center (along with AR, The Edge wall mounted surrounds).
If you like the sound of horn loaded tweeters (I do) :) you'll love this discontinued line from JBL. At the prices you can buy these speakers for now, I don't see how you can go wrong.
Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks