What's new

JBL help-center channel needed? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I bought a home theater in a box last year and I'm not pleased at all. This year I am going to upgrade. I have searched around and found some great prices thanks to you all. I have a RCA receiver-500 watts with 5 channels. I am starting out with 2 main speakers and a subwoofer. Here's what I am looking at buying:
--Pair of JBL s38 series one or two
--JBL pb12
I listen to mainly music and people have told me these sound really good. My question is do I really need a center channel for a music setup? Would it make that much of a difference? Tahnk you all very much for your help.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I personally don't feel a center channel is necessary for music playback. I think the importance of a center channel is dialog in movies.

You should get wonderful sound from that setup, though. I have S26's all around and a PB10 currently for the sub. I think it sounds wonderful.

RickM

Auditioning
Shawn.G;

I have been doing a search in here for information about subwoofer problems and I noticed your question...

Well first let me say that I have had a JBL sub for almost 4 years (sorta) and until this week I loved them - they may not be the best in the world, but they did the job and the price was right......

I am going to post full details in a question on this board, but here is the skinny. Back in 1999 I bought a JBL PSW-D112 (12 inch, 250watt sub), I worked great until November 2001 - then one day my wife came home and it was just going off (full level BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM) - and nothing was even on (all my theater stuff was off)? Lucky for me I had an extended warranty, so it was back to the store and drop the unit off for repairs. Well, they never fixed it and even lost it - so in Feb of 2002, I made them replace it (got stuck with the PB12). Now its October (9 months later) and the new one is doing the same thing????? WTF? None of my other equipment is having any problems... so beware of the JBL subs - I just dont get it?

Anyway, if you want to read more about or follow the responses - I will be starting a new thread with lots of details about my setup.

Thanks and good luck.

Valerie Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure it's the subwoofer and not your receiver? If you unplug the receiver or disconnect the line(s) from the receiver, does it remedy the problem?

RickM

Auditioning
No its the sub, I tried disconnecting it from the receiver tonight. I put all my details in another thread, didn't want cloud his questions - just wanted to make him aware of the problems Im having (since he listed the same model sub).

Thanks
Rick

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think there is absolutely no point in using a center for 2 channel music.

The only reason I would get a center channel would be for entertaining more than 1 person for a 5.1 movie or perhaps DVD audio.

With 2 good mains, there will be a ghost center where the vocal will appear to come right where the screen is rather than localizing vocals where the tweeter is on a center channel. The sound stage during movies is also seemless without a center channel but can be severly affected if the listener moves the seating position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks