JBL education needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar_R, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Hello all,
    My roomate is moving out and taking the speakers I was using previously for my hometheater. Now is my chance to finally match all my speakers instead of the multi brand frankenstine I've been putting up with for the past couple months.

-Receiver Denon 2802.
    -Sony WMP40

Been leaning towards JBL, I really like the sound, however, i have no idea what the different series stand for or if there some unspoken consensous here to steer clear of certain ones. Over all I'd say I have $1000 for the mains , back, & center channel.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I would go for the Studio Series. They have are better built than the Northridge series (which are also quite good!). You may be to get S38s, S26s and a S-Center for very close to your budget.

I have S312s for mains, S26s for surrounds, and the S-Center. Don't forget a subwoofer. I have the PB12.

3. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

did you purchase these as a package or individually?

4. ChrisMatson

Mine were purchased individually. I don't think anyone sells them in a package like my set-up.

5. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

anyone compared the performance jump from the 312's to 412's?

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Either series are excellent value when you compare performance vs. price. At your budget, I'd recommend looking @ the JBL S-Series. I own the JBL NSP1 (JBL N24 [x4] & JBL N-Center / Sub: AudioSource SW15 - going to my vacation house this weekend) and Main HT Setup = JBL S26 (x4) and JBL S-Center (Sub = SVS 25-31PCi).
    The original N & S-Series were released in 1999, and the latest N & S-Series MARK II announced Jan. 2002. The official word (via JBL Customer Service email) is that the changes with the MARK II are mostly cosmetic; driver cone finish, extra tweeter protection, slightly altered enclosure dimensions on some models. Interestingly, the biggest change is the Northridge N26II, which now uses a wood enclosure over the molded plastic enclosure similar to the N24II speaker. So, if you review the News Releases below (linked both original and MARK II), specifications wise, ...no change with performance. The MARK II Series is a result of a lost suit by BOSE - bass port patent #721, so the MARK II bass port (called JBL's FreeFlow™ port technology) was redesigned.
    If you can, get the original series to save $$$!
    FYI INFO: Official Newsrelease
    19 August 1999 NEW JBL NORTHRIDGE SERIES LOUDSPEAKERS OFFER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE AND EXCEPTIONAL VALUE

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

Hey Phil, thanks for all the info. I'm out in San Jose.
    Mind if I stop by sometime to check out how the JBL's sound
    along with the SVS's?

8. ChrisMatson

I'm sure they pack more of a punch, but that is what a subwoofer is for! It is generally more difficult to set up a system with two subwoofers. Not only will the 412s give you two subs, but the location for your mains will not likely be the same location you want to put your sub. You could get the 412s AND another sub, but that seems like more trouble than its worth--IMHO.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter