What's new

JBL e90s...whatcha think? (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
They retail for about $500-700, but I can get them for about $300 shipped.

Does anyone here have them?

I was thinking of buying them from Best Buy to audition, then returning and ordering online if I like them.

I know that there are better towers available in the $400-700 range but how significantly better are they? As I understand it there is a considerable jump in sound quality when you get into the e90 and above models, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's mainly the ability to fill a large space with quality highs and mids that I'm looking for in my mains, since I'll be running the low frequencies through a powered sub.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Well, since you don't seem to be too concerned with lots of low stuff I don't see why you wouldn't settle for the E80, or E60. They both have exactly the same mid and tweeter and only slightly different woofers that the E90 has. Unless the E90's are the only ones you are getting a deal for. then go for it. :D ;)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Heard the E90's last nite @ compusa/ $175 ea. but only had cherry (need black) Where u getting them for $300 shipped?
Fell in love with them (hooked up with an EC25 center).
Blew me away ina crappy listening environment (altho hooked up to nice HK AVR.
Too big for my small Apt, so I settled for the E80's for $358 shipped form BH. Going out to get the EC35 center tomorrow. Can't wait till the E80's get here.
Have an 8" HK sub (not great but what can ya do, live in an apt now. SVS for when I get a house :)

Stuck with dinky 3"HK cubes for surrounds until next month, then will spring for the e30's for surrounds.

Running off Pioneer VSX-811. Will let you know how I like them after I get them (hoepefulyl tomorrow, but most likely Monday).

What did u go with?

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I also have the E80s with the EC35 center setup. Sounds great! I looked at the E90s also but realizing that with a crossover to the sub at 80Hz, the difference between the E80s and the E90s are minimal. Then it all depends on your subwoofer(s) which IMHO will always sound better and have more presence and bottom end than any big woofer mains. If you're not using a subwoofer, then I would get the E90s, or even the E100s, for sure. But with a good subwoofer, having the E80s or E90s set to small and rerouting the crossover to the sub, there really isn't going to be much of a discernable sound difference, especially given the price difference. FYI, also in my setup I'm using four E30s along the back for 7.1.

I have the E250p JBL sub, which does sound superb. I first had the E150p and it just didn't measure up. It literally sounded "small" and thin and I had to crank it to get any resonance and presence, and by then it's internal volume was at 3-4 o'clock so it was making a "cracking noise" with the hard pulses of the LFE. I'm sure the E150p would be fine in a dorm room or very small bedroom, but my room is 15'x22'x10'. So I exchanged it for the E250p and it was not just a noticeable difference, it was a tremendously obvious difference. However, I'm sure it's not the best of the crop. I, like everyone else around here, aspire for an SVS PB12 sometime in my not-to-distant future. :D Anyway, my point with this subwoofer pontification? With a smaller sub, I suppose the E90s or E100s would be necessary, but with a good 12" (or bigger sub--do they exist?) sub, properly calibrated, the need for the E90s/E100 bigger woofers isn't necessary. Go with the E80s! And take the difference in cost from the E90s and put it into the subwoofer.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Mikey,

There's a seller on eBay who's got these JBL towers at amazing prices, new.

I haven't bought speakers yet, am presently considering the Ascend CMT-340 versus Paradigm Monitor 5s...yeah, about double the price of the e90s online but for some reason that's where my gut is pointing. Will probably order the Ascends first since they have a 30 day return policy, will try to take them into the Paradigm dealer and audition the two side by side if they permit. The dealer I got by receiver from offered that, but he doesn't carry Paradigms unfortunately.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I checked ebay and certainly didn't see anyone with amazing priceson them. I got the PAIR of E80's shipped for $358 -$179/ea. + free ship(from an authorized dealer listed on JBL site). Can you PM or post a link for the ebay auction?

Crossover on my Pioneer 811 only goes down to 100hz, so I will have to live with that.
No corssover setting on my HK 8", but plan on leaving the E80's on smal and letting the sub handle the rest (for now).

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
They are $175 each + 50 shipping each. That's A LOT more then I paid for them. I paid $358 delivered to my door for the pair fro BH.
Picked up the EC35 today for $152 including tax.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Yikes, I didn't see that all-important word, "EACH." :angry:

Whelp, all the more reason for me to go for either the Ascend CMT-340s or the Paradigm Monitor 5s, which I was leaning towards anyway.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> $179 ea. shipped form autho vendor is NIce :)

Or if it were $179 a pair plus shipping...yeah, I was WONDERING how he could be so much cheaper than all the other online places. Usually eBay dealers are only about 20-30% cheaper than the cheapest online sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks