What's new

JBL E80 vs. Athena AS-F2 (1 Viewer)

TrevorBerg

Auditioning
I'm looking to buy a nice pair of floorstanding speakers to go with my Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver. From what I have read the JBL Northridge Series and the Athena AS-F2 are the best choices I have in my pricerange. I went down to my local bestbuy and listened to the JBL E80, and the Athena AS-F1 (they didn't have the AS-F2) and I liked the sound of the JBL E80 better, but I don't know how much you can tell by listening to them on the BB sales floor. I know that the Athena AS-F2 is a favorite around here, and so are the JBL Northridge speakers. So my question is what speakers would YOU recomend considering I can get both speakers for around the same price? Also will my receiver have enough power for these guys? Thanks

JimV

Auditioning
trev, i've never heard the jbl's, but i have the f2's and absolutely love them! from what i've read most people that hear the f1 and f2 side by side say that the f2 sounds "bigger", maybe a fuller sound is more appropriate. however, i don't think you can go wrong either way. i can't speak for the jbl's but my f2's needed about 50 to 100 hours to really start opening up. enjoy!

According to the Best Buys in my area, the AS-F2s have been discontinued. You may want to check with the stores in your area.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Ive been looking at the JBL's too, but just a word of warning-I dont know if this is true or not-but the Buyers Guide edition of Sound and Vision magazine shows that out of all the JBL speakers the 80's are not magnetically shielded, someone could add to this if they know for certain

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Thanks for the correction Mikey, I found it unusual all there other floorstanders were shielded but the E80s

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Welll, I ordered the E80's yesterday, so I had to dig in a little to find out for sure :)

Altho they won't be here until MOnday, just picked up the EC35 local (liked the E25 and could have had it $50 cheaper, but everyone raved about the 35 and said get that, so I did.
Let me tell you, it is HUGE. Barely fits on top of my Samsung 32" Flatscreen HDTV.

Sounds REALL god with only 30mn break in.
Tested with fast and furious and their is dialouge I have never heard before.
Funny, this this is taller then my dual 3" HK center that this is replacing, is wide.

Couldn't have found a better ceter for $150 IMO.
Can't wait for those E80's.

TrevorBerg

Auditioning
Well, I ordered the Athena AS-F2's from AudioAdvisor, should be arriving next thursday. I can't wait till they arrive so I can test them out.
I guess I needed to start looking out for a good deal on a pair of AS-B2's for my surrounds. Eventually I'll pick up another pair of them for my center/rear center because I've heard the AS-C1 isn't that good of a speaker.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Trevorborg, did you get a chance to listen to the F2's?

Like them better then the e80's (altho the E90 is the comperable model to them)?
I loved the E90's, but just don't have the room for those double 8"s which is why i went the the E80's.

I REALLY like the EC35 center tho. Thing is HUGE and sounds awesome!

TrevorBerg

Auditioning
Mikey,

I didn't get to listen to them. There's no place within a reasonable driving distance who caries them. I talked to a few people who had these speakers who recommended them over the JBL's. The online reviews that praised these speakers also greatly influence my choice. I'll let you know what I think once I get them and break them in a little.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
The atheans are the easy champs for best speakers under $1,000... forget the JBL's get the atheans

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Since 99.9% of my useage will be home theater, I decided to build it around the center. The E35 SMOKES the C1, so I went with the JBL's. I didn't get to listen to the F2, but I listened to the F1 and thought it sounded OK, but liked the E80 better. The F2, would have been about $60 more for the pair and ther E80's were already more then I wanted to spend. If most of my listening was to music vs. HT, then I would have given the F2's a serious listen against the E90's ( the comperable pair). I also think the JBL has more upgradeability (more speakers in the E series Line), then the Athenas. I don't think you could go wrong with either. For me, with the JBL center, it works out better.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have Athena's (as-f1's in front and as-c1 fo the center). Couldn't pass up the deal I got on the f1's. go them from bestbuy for $190 inlcuding tax brand new. I like the JBL e80's as well, and couldn't decide. The wife liked the look of the Athena's better, so we got those. Great speakers, and I have zero problems with the C1 as the center. The Jbl's also sound great though. I think you can't go wrong with either.

J

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Yes, I believe they are the 2 best product lines in the price range.

$190 for pair of f1's probably would have swayed me over to them :). Altho I feel $358 delivered for a pair of E80's was a good deal on them. Hard to argue with the F1's at almost have price for the pair.
Good deal.
Wonder how the EC35 center would sound with the F1's or F2's.

Hal

Grip
Ah, Phil I just spent 3 hours exploring all the info found in that post.

And I ain't seen it all yet.

Oh my goodness!

Wolf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks