JBL E50 vs. E30 ??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Colin+M, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I currently have the E30's as my surrounds in a set up that consists of E80's for the mains, and EC35 center channel. My question is, i am still in the 30 day return period for the E30's and i came across the E50's. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the E50's? I use this set up for music(multi-channel hi-rez) and movies. Would i be able to tell much of a difference between the 2 speakers, being that one is a 2 way and the other a 3 way?

Thanks ahead of time guys,
    Colin

2. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Well I don't own them but they will probably make a bit of a difference in quality, and they may blend a bit better with your center and mains because they are 3 way. But if you are just buying them for surrounds, I am not sure if you will notice that big an improvement. You could always get them and take them back in 30 days could you not? If you don't mind my asking, how much more are you paying for them over the 30s?

3. Colin+M

i got the e30's for $112, and the e50's would be around $230. I kinda wanted 3ways because i listen to a lot of music(SACD etc). on the same thought, what about S38's?

4. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Where'd you get the E30s for $112? That's a great price.

5. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Colin, very good and timely (for me) question as I posted something in a parallel discussion about the benefits of matching driver sizes in mains and surrounds - specifically, the E30's with e80's and e50's with e90's.

tell me how you think the 30's integrate with the 80's. are you happy, or why are you considering upsizing?

6. Colin+M

I think the E30's sound really good actually. I was just wanting to match the 3ways of my center and mains. The E80's ,to me, had about the same bass response of the E60, but the mid and highs were clearer on the E80's, so thats why i went with them. I found the E30's on clearance and open box at Best Buy for $112, so i couldn't pass them up since i wanted to upgrade from satellite surrounds. I wouldn't say i am dissatisfied with them, but the grass is always greener right? I am actually considering picking up a pair of the studio series S38's for the same price as the E50's, since the S38's supposedly have a better tweeter etc.

7. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    I have the E80s, EC35 and E30s for (4) surrounds. This setup sounds quite good. I've often thought of the E50s as surrounds but truly am not sure with what gets mixed into those rear channels would make much a difference between the E30s and E50s. I'm sure there would be an increase in mid-range with the 3-way crossover, however, would the increase in cost be something clearly heard or just subtle? Only auditioning both sets of speakers will tell your ears. I already own four E30s and so will be sticking with them for quite some time.

However, I'm way out of range for my 30-day return period. [​IMG]

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Colin+M, altho the S38s are superior to the N series, they are not voice matched to the N series. I would not mix them if you are looking for voice matched setup (which u should be).

9. Colin+M

On that same thought, do you think upgrading from the E30's to E50's for surrounds would be worth an extra $100? or would i never be able to tell the difference in surround sound?

10. ray tubach

OK Brian, good post! I hadn't even considered the x-over. because I'm such a neo, I was focusing on matching driver sizes, not knowing if this was even an issue.

any other opinions? anyone?

11. ray tubach

3-way vs. 2-way, hmmmm... see, this is why I keep coming back here. Brian mentions x-over and now you bring in number of drivers. I hadn't even remotely considered this might be an issue and was just focusing on driver sizes in matching fronts and surrounds!

the reason I ask these questions is that Phil I. always reminds us that the Dolby guys recommend identical speakers in all positions, whereas some companies use bi/dipole surrounds, and JBL recommends the E10's as surrounds, even with the "bigbox" mains. any ideas?

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this discussion - I don't have the experience nor the opportunity to actually audition this stuff as a lot of you guys have.

12. ray tubach

Really? The only speakers I WAS able to A/B was the 60's and 80's and I thought the bass of the 80's was much bigger than the 60's which sounded weak and thin to me. Imagine my surprise when I realized the E60's had the 8" and the E80's had a dual 6" drivers.

I'm "guessing" the E90's with the dual 8" will sound best of all, right?

BTW, I'm not actually considerng the E100's here, as I'll be using a sub - but don't know which yet. I'm thinking that this would be the only benefit of going with the dual 10"-ers, right?

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

2) ***Edge defraction: At each point where the sound wave passes over an edge, the sound is bent and re-propagated from that edge. The intensity of this re-propagated acoustic wave is very low compared to the direct source, since it represents on a tiny portion of the sound leaving the source tweeter, but if enough of the re-propagated energy is similar in delay and frequency, it can be measured as variations in the frequency response of the speaker.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with the E30's for your surround duties.

Phil

14. Phil Iturralde

Not everyone will follow Dolby's recommendation, hence the SPKR MFG's have multiple timbre-matched models to choose based on your room, space and sonic desire.

After I experienced what near 100% timbre-match 360-degree seamless surround sounds like when I bought my JBL NSP1's (now @ my vacation house), ... upgrading to the JBL S-Series using identical Fronts, Side and Rear Center surround channels w/timbre-matched Center was my priority!!! (Bass/LFE via SVS 25-31PCi of course!!! [​IMG])

Have fun deciding,
    Phil

15. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

So wouldn't using E50s all around including mains work best with the EC35 because of the identical crossovers, why would anyone go for the towers for mains when the E50s are better matched for the center?
    What about using one E50 as a center? anyone done that with good results?

16. Phil Iturralde

I've heard from a few HTF members & consumer's (emailing me from my HT website) that have done that with the JBL S38's, JBL S36's and E50's, all-around with excellent results. Powered-sub required of course!!! [​IMG]

Phil

17. ray tubach

Excellent! I was hoping you'd get involved in this discussion Phil. [​IMG]
    So, from what I can see, using E-50's all around would work wonderfully but I would like to use the Ec35 as it seems intended for its purpose. But if ALL the E-series speakers integrate with each other, what advantage is there to go with the E50's instead of the E10's? And by extenson, what benefit if going up larger yet to the E90's for mains?

So now Peter brings up a good point but I have to ask, even though the EC35 and the E50's are x'd-over at identical points - 800 and 3200Hz - the drivers are different. The EC35 has 3/4",3", and dual 5.25", while the E50 has 3/4", 4", and one 8" drivers.

Would the x-over points be relevant if they are using different size drivers? Is this picking nits?

18. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

ooo. I didn't notice that ray. with the driver size diff. I was just focusing on X-over. I am not sure that would make much of a difference or not. The tweeters are identical and the midrange is very close. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Phil Iturralde

You could be, ... but the fun of choosing components based on researched INFO is once you're done & REF Calibrated, ... you can expect years of real, glorious Cinema Theater sounds! With a great powered-sub, ... you'll finally feel the full sub-sonic impact encoded in your DVD's @ low, moderate and -10 dBc below REF Level (approx. 105/106 dBc FAST LFE SPL Peaks)

Hope this helps,
    Phil