What's new

JBL E50 Orientation (1 Viewer)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Just ordered a pair of E50's and had a question about orienataion. The JBL web site lists them as Horizontal/vertical. Does this mean they can be put either way? The stands I have will work with them vertical, but are not big enough for horizontal. If they have to be horizontal for mirror imaging, then I would have to put them up high in the shelves of my entertainment center. I'm not really sure what mirror imaging is, but it sounds good. LOL They would also be closer together and not at ear level anymore in the shelves. I'b be curious to the forums opinions.

Thanks!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

It means if you face the horizontal E50 towards each other, the tweeter/mids would look @ each other. Spread them out and the tweeters will be on the opposite ends, example below - tweeters/mids on the outside edge ...

Right channel ...

Left channel ...

If you decide to use speaker stands, make sure that they can support the E50's horizontal position and are high enough to put the tweeter approx. you seated ear height. Many have created their own customized speaker stands.

Phil

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Unfortunately, I have 2 choices. I can put them at ear height, but vertical, aproximatly 15 foot apart or I can set them horizontally, 4 foot above ear level about 13 foot apart. The center channel has to stay at ear level. What would give me the best performance? I am not an audiophile, so I may not even be able to hear any difference.

Thanks

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

What stands are you using? I own E50s (you're going to enjoy them, great speakers) and currently have them on top of a wall unit, horizontally. But I'm buying a plasma soon and will need to dispose of the wall unit, meaning that I'll need stands for the E50s. I'm wrestling with placement issues (horizonal vs. vertical) as well.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I would recommend ...

1) Horizontal with Tweeters/mids inside edge (since they're 13' apart)
2) Angled down toward your seating areas
.... a) can use a couple rubber door stops on the back edge
3) Toed-in, slightly toward your seating areas

Once they're solidly in place, REFERENCE Calibrate the whole setup to equalize the SPL @ your 'sweet spot'.

Have fun,
Phil

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
They are not really stands, but large floor speakers for my wifes 20 year old Fisher stereo. I keep the stereo and the home theatre stuff seperate. Right now I have Atoms that fit on them nicely and I didn't really think about the size when I bought the E50's. They will fit real nice vertically. Just curious as to what will sound better.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I sent a qusetion in off of the JBL site this morning asking about this and here is their reply.

So I guess I'll try them both ways and see what looks and sounds the best.

Thanks for everyones help.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
FYI: The JBL N-, E-, S- and L-Series speakers incorporate the integrated Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal (EOS™) waveguide -- a little recess that focuses the metal tweeter's powerful output. Directly copied from JBL TEC Award Winning LSR Studio Monitor's, ...

... the waveguide creates a "window" of ±15 degrees vertically and ±30 degrees horizontally (w/actual real life 60 x 100 degree dispersion), thus minimizing room reflections that might come back to hit the speaker.

NOTE: That the "best performance" is explained in the JBL S38II manual above.

As far as the tweeter orientation,

1) If the R&L channel speakers are 4' to 6' apart, tweeters on the outside edge.

2) If the R&L channel speakers are 6-1/2' or more apart, tweeters on the inside edge.

Phil

Gecko

Auditioning
Real Name
Kamran Grasselli
Can anyone comment on the differences in performance between the E50 and S38II? I have been using the S38IIs as fronts in my current setup and bought some E50s because I wanted to try them out with bi-amping, which the S38II are not made for. After getting the E50s I heard that their titanium-laminate tweeter may not be as good as the titanium tweeter of the S38II. I haven't been able to distinguish a difference after hooking up the E50s, but I'm going to do some more comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks