Jbl E30's i'm impressed... any opinions?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanSoares, Dec 25, 2003.

1. RyanSoares

RyanSoares Stunt Coordinator

i went to future shop earlier this week and got myself a pair of Jbl E30's for $299cad the real price was $399cad but future shop had the wrong JBL price tag there so i argued and argued and got got the $400 speakers for $300.... it has bi wiring... read the FAQ still don't see an advantage??? anyways my new favourite scene to showoff these speakers to freinds and family is the opening to DIE ANOTHER DAY in DTS ES the bass is unreal i have no sub but still feel the bass in my gut... my father who was over for christmas was searching for a sub he didn't believe i didn't have one..... i know it probably can't compare to having a sub, but in an apartment it's just perfect.... these speakers are so clear and precise.... i've fallen in love with the JBL brand.... anybody out there got any opinions or experiences with these great speakers?

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I just got a pair of JBL S38IIs (list $600, got them for $232 since they're discontinued now) and are thrilled with them. I also have the discontinued S-Center II on the way.

3. Richard Favreau

A couple of years ago I was fortunate to meet a rep from the local JBL distributor. I ended up getting s38 fronts +s26 rears + scenter + pb12 for app 800usd taxes incl. The center and s26 had been used for an exhibition so were open box, unblemished. Absolutely and totally satisfied with my purchase. However I will soon be looking into a diy tempest sub to replace the PB12. I will probably use the amp from the JBL since I paid so little for it.

Rick Favreau

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Got the S-Center today and must say that I'm pretty thrilled with it - the clarity and detail are a considerable, considerable step-up from my prior center, while the center matches very well with the S38IIs.

5. RyanSoares

what is the difference between the the "S" line and the "E" line.. the S38II's is that floor standing?

6. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

S38IIs are bookshelves, although they are rather "hefty" at 30 pounds a piece for the "bookshelf" catagory.

Not sure about the differences in the "S" series and new "E" series.

7. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

The e series replaces the n series in the Northridge line. The s or studio series tweeters are titanium, while the e or n series has a titanium laminate tweeter.

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've never heard the new E series, but I've always felt JBL speakers offered a lot for the money...good choice.

9. RyanSoares

mine are bookshelf too, these speakers are amazing when it comes to bass that you can feel.... i'm guessing with the titanium tweeters your highs sound much clearer eh? canadian!

10. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I actually had the pleasure of talking with a JBL representative in Best Buy one day. He told me that the Titanium Laminate tweeters were made up of a layer of Titanium over a layer of woven silk, which actually damps "ringing" resonances that are common to pure-metal dome tweeters.

Also, he was comparing the new JBL 12" subwoofer to the Klipsch 12" KSW unit and remarking how the 250 watts of amplifier power that the JBL claims is true RMS while that of the Klipsch is just peak power. The Klipsch 10" KSW sub only has 55 watts RMS (!) which is pitiful.