JBL E30s for Fronts and EC35 for Center?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ThomasC, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My roommate has a stereo setup in the living room with a 5.1 capable receiver. I'm planning to start with just the fronts and center for now, and use his for the rears. Are the E30s and EC35 a good combo? It's priced at $298 combined at B&H with free shipping ($159 for the EC35, $139 for the E30s). Please let me know if I can get both at another retailer for a lower price. If you know of a better combo for fronts and a center at around the same price (preferably below $300), please let me know about that as well.

I've got a newbie amp question as well, but I'd rather not start a new thread in the amp section if I don't have to. Does it matter how much power output the amp has as long as it doesn't go over the maximum recommended amp power for the speakers? Or can the amp have more power than recommended, as long as I adjust the amp (if that's possible)?

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

b&H is god. I bought my E80's their (no longer have them). I hear they have the E80's on sale for $300 shipped this week for pair, that is GREAT deal.

E30's would majke decent fronts, I would go for E50's or better yet E80's (need stands for 30's or 50's so those cost $$$) if you can swing it. If not, the E30's will work. the EC35 is REAL nice.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Are stands absolutely necessary for the E30s, or is it okay to put them on the floor?

4. MikeyWeitz

They would come up to your ankles. WAY too small to put on floor.
    If you aren't putting them on stands, then do not buy them.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Should the top of the stands be equivalent in height to the top of the shelf where the TV sits, or should it be a bit lower?

6. MikeyWeitz

The tweeters in the speaker should be ear height when you are seated.

7. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I went with the E50s but my friend has the E30s and I liked them. You're getting a really good deal on that package at B&H. You should be able to get stands for them pretty cheap.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Any specific recommendations?

Do the speakers come with wires or do I have to get those myself? If it's the latter, is Monster the natural choice? Or are there cheaper options that will work just as well?

9. EricSal

EricSal Extra

Monster is overpriced. You can get good speaker wire (12 or 14 guage) at a lot of places. I used 14 guage for my system, got a 250' spool at a home supply store for about $50.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Any specific wire brand recommendations? Brands to avoid other than Monster?

11. John S

John S Producer

I have done a few full 6.1 systems with 3 pair of e30's, I like em in eveyr location. They wall mount, they bookshelf, they go on stands, but the floor would not be a place they really go.

12. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

This is the same setup I have (two JBL E30's for front L/R and a JBL EC35 center). It's very nice. Before the E30's I was still running a pair of N24II's. They're good speakers, but can't quite keep up with the EC35 (I also wanted more presence overall). The E30's match up perfectly with the EC35. Stereo listening is awesome too [​IMG] I'm still running a pair of N24II's as surrounds and they do their job very well in that regard.

Go for the E30's and EC35. You'll be very happy!

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Should I only go with 12 or 14 gauge wire? What's the difference?

14. John S

John S Producer

About 2 amps according to electrical code... [​IMG]