What's new

JBL E250P - pictures from the INSIDE: (1 Viewer)

JerryNO

Auditioning
Can you make a JBL E250P perform better by putting in a different driver? Last year I rehabilitated an old blown Mitsubishi powered sub with a Rockford Fosgate RFP4812 that I paid 80 or 90 bucks for. I just checked Dealtime and they go for about $60 now.

Rockford Fosgate makes several 8 ohm subs with different acoustic characteristics that fit in boxes about the size of the JBL E250P. In fact, the one I just described would be a reasonable match. You can download the specs and manuals easily with Rockford Fosgate's knowledge base--showing what size range of box and port lengths the drivers should go with.

If they are like the Mitsubishi, the driver is the cheapest part. The surround on the Mitsubishi was held on with a bit of glue and had separated. At first I glued it back down with silicone, but when I thought about how cheap it was I replaced it instead with the RFP4812.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actually Jerry’s idea isn’t too bad. I was actually pretty impressed with the build quality of the E150’s cabinet – a lot more solid than I expected (i.e., minimal resonance when you rapped on it).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone recommend a sub $100 driver to put in a E250? I'll be a guinea pig. I'd like to see if another driver would improve this sub by much.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Wonder how one would go about finding that out. JBL Phil needs to step in and help us out.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Hey Scott*B, ... I don't work for JBL so if the woofer is not stamped 8 or 4-ohms, I'm not sure how you can determine that outside of contacting JBL Customer Service!?!

Phil

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Phil. I know you don't work for JBL, but you seem to have a vast amount of knowledge on the product so I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Scott if you upgrade let me know how that goes. Id be very grateful to hear about your experience, I may decide to do the same.

Dont forget the port is probably made for a certain tuning point, if that point changes the port may not be optimal.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so what's a VOM? Probably dumb question of the year but I can't figure it out, lol.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Yea that was a pretty good deal on those plugs. That looks real nice. I got the plugs I linked to and I really like them for the money. What gage wire is that? It looks pretty thick.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Ryan:

If you are asking me, 12 AWG Sound King wire from Parts Express.

I have a post in the thread with a link to the plugs and wire.

PREFECT fit, the rubber sleeve fits over the wire like heat shrink tubing, so it looks like a finished product!

Honestly, they look profesionally terminated!

RyanJE

Second Unit
Yea I noticed they were a perfect fit, I would have guessed 10 or 8 ga. based on the pics. Good $hit.

JerryNO

Auditioning

I could do this by exchanging my Rockford Fosgate RFP4812 driver for the JBL driver, but other than listening to it, I couldn't give y'all any objectivity. How would I know if it performs better? I have no equipment to measure rolloff, SPL or frequency response.

By the way, the old Mitsubishi 12" is not labeled with an ohm rating, but it measures 5 ohms. I replaced it with the 8 ohm Rockford Fosgate and it works fine. Sometimes going the other way can cause problems.

I measured another speaker I have marked 12 ohms with the VOM and it measured 12 ohms, another speaker marked 6 ohms measures 6 ohms, another speaker marked 4 ohms measures four ohms so apparently this is a good way to rate them. The Mitsubishi is the exception. They should stick with cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks