What's new

Jbl E20 ? (1 Viewer)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
For those that have these as front speaker (or just those who might know) -

I remember reading that these should be laid on their side as opposed to on its bottom. Is this true, and why.

Please use small words and as non techy jargon as you can. I am an idiot.

Thanks

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
The only JBL Speaker that should be horizontal is the E50 ...

The E20 should be vertical ...

It's based on the 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome tweeter EOS waveguide, which if you look above and review the EOS waveguide pic's, ... the widest horizontal flare takes advantage of the Elliptical Oblate Spheroid (EOS) waveguide which has its widest dispersion.

The EOS waveguide was directly copied from JBL TEC Award winning PRO LSR Studio Monitors**.

**From JBL PRO LSR Studio Monitor Manual ...

Phil

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
Man Phil...you are scarry with your JBL knowledge! Thanks again.

Hey PHil...another question for you.

Should I get the EC25 or EC35. EC35 more money so its better. Right? But what does that really meen? Would I truly notice the difference in the EC35 over the EC25? My room is only 15 x 15.

Thanks

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
How do you think the E20 compares to the Paradigm Atom?

I'm debating between the Paradigm Performance line and the JBL Northridge E series.

Atoms x2, CC-170, ADP-170 x 2, and PDR-10

or

E20 x2, EC-35, E10 x 2, EP-250.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Every time I read Phil's posts it reinforces my decision to purchase JBL's.

I have the EC35 and it is a great center. Weighing 22 pounds, it is a beast with a great build quality. I use it with S38II's for mains, it is a great match to my ears!

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Yung:

Since you are local in New York City, you should check out the JBL E series either at J & R Music World or B&H Photo. Both dealers will blow Best Buy's pricing away on the JBLs.

I run the E100s as fronts, EC35 for the center, E250P for the sub and E50s for both the side and rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi.

It makes for one great sounding combo! With the discounts from the two places I mentioned vs Best Buy, you can get much better speakers in the line for the same dough.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Fred,

Yes, I know both J&R and B&H Photo have much better prices than Bestbuy or CompUSA which both carry the JBL Northridge E series.

I still have to listen to them again though and I want to listen to the Paradigms again. I was at Bestbuy last night and listened to the E20s, E60's and E10s. They weren't really properly set up though, so I couldn't listen to them as a surround set up. Also they had this lousy 2-minute Bestbuy demo CD in there which didn't give a good listening sample. It makes me wonder with their poor setup and high prices how they sell any of those speakers at all! CompUSA was even worse. I've gone to one of the stores in NYC for the past month and have never found a competent salesperson that can give me a demonstration of any of their speakers. Its a waste of retail space if you ask me.

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input Phil. I'm going with the EC35! A few extra bucks is not going to kill me and I'll be happier in the long run I'm sure.

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Yung:

The reason I mentioned J&R and B&H was they have retail stores in NYC. From the AVS forum you had your location as Queens. I firgured you could check the JBLs out at the retail outlets. Best Buy is just horrible with their setup. I was lucky I found a package system at my local BB they were selling with a Yahama receiver with E90 fronts, a EC25 center, E20 surrounds and a E150P so I could get a better idea of how they sound.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
This isn't totally on topic, but it's also about JBL. I have a pair of S26s, but now that the Studio series is distontinued, what is my best option to match up the speakers?

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I have an EC35 center, E30's as fronts and E10's as rears. It's a fantastic setup. I was considering the E20's but I went with the E30's because of the rear-porting on the E20's. The E30's are front ported and I have backed up directly against a wall. The 30's sound better and bigger than the 20's anyway IMO.

brad cook

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Fred,

Thanks, I'll be heading down to J&R sometime mid-week when they get the new Pioneer VSX-1014TX set up. I'm almost positive they won't have the receiver set up in the same room as the JBLs but hopefully I'll be able to listen to both. I've been down there a couple of times and had mixed success in having certain speakers set up for listening.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Kirk: Any JBL S-Series speakers will be timbre-matched voice wise to each other, so, ... here's some options:

1)Try and locate the JBL S36's, ... you can use them all-around including for Center Channel duties.
... a) JBL still has them listed @ their S-Series website!

2) Keep an eye on Ebay for JBL S-Series speakers

3) Wait until JBL finally releases the S-Series replacement - basically speakers with the 1" PURE Titanium dome tweeter w/EOS waveguide.
... a) Your guess is as good as mine to when they will be released!?!

Hope this helps.
====

John, the E20's w/EC35 will sound glorious! A powered-sub will round out the 'real' theater dynamic's & sound after you REF Calibrate your whole HT setup!!! :D

Hope you have understanding neighbor's! ;)

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks